Phantom 2 Vision for a newbie in this hobby?

I did not even know there is any iris pilots forum, unless this was your sarcasm? :)

Unfortunately the only Tier 1 dealer in Ireland does not sell the old Vision anymore, and quotes me 4-5 weeks waiting time, so I will pass.

In UK sellers are scarce with stock as well and Visions are really overpriced there, so I decided to buy directly from DJI, although 70 Euro delivery is surprisingly high.

This makes Vision at around 950 Euro with extra battery and I am really tempted to add another 100 Euro and buy Vision +, but as I am a new pilot and I don't really want to risk with the delicate gimbal, I'd rather buy Vision. I do not need incredibly stable movies, I'd rather have a rigid platform that will forgive me harsh landings and small crashes than a delicate but refined platform for movies.

Video from this will be light years better than on my Hubsan H107C anyway!

Thanks for your help and support, guys!

Where would you rather buy Vision, online from DJI or from local dealer? Or it does not really matter?

Visions are out of stock in UKor Ireland or are way overpriced, so wondering if it makes sense to source from DJI?

OK, I have decided and this post will conclude the whole thread.

First of all, thanks to everyone for patience and help with your input and points of view.

At certain point I have ruled out all the options but Phantom 2 Vision and Vision +.

Why? Well, 3dr Iris+ turned out to be a disappointment for me, in terms of battery life mostly. Other than that, I would have to invest in a Go pro and fpv, which would increase the cost significantly.
Parrot Bebop? Well, even though it was not released yet, I decided to let go of this idea, as it is very light and 12 minutes of flight time gives me a limited range and possibilities.

Walkera QR X350 Pro was rulled out as well, because of QC issues and the other options became irrelevant.

So that left me with 2 Phantom Vision options...

At first I thought it would be much more cost effective for me to try Vision, not only because it is 300 Euro cheaper, but in case of a pilot error, the camera replacement is 200 Euro cheaper and more sturdy, than the gimbal... But... Then I started doing my calculations again.

I love nature, historic sights, taking videos and making pictures... And as much as I like the non Gimballed camera on Vision, which gives a nice FPV feedback when flying, I would probably find it sooner or later a bit useless for making good videos. Especially in Ireland, when there is always some wind.

So this would mean, I would have to shell out extra for a gimbal for Vision... Rotorpixel with taxes and delivery is around 400 Euro and when I compare footage made by that with Vision Plus's gimbal, it is not as smooth and stable... Plus, I would be already paying more than for Vision +, by 100 Euro...

Another issue, range... As much as I am going to be cautious and flying close at the beginning, to get to know the quadcopter and slowly gain confidence for longer ranges, I know that sooner or later I will be pushing the limits and 300 meters range for FPV will be not enough.
To match the range of Vision + I would have to invest either in Re700 Extender (159 Euro) or antenna set up (around 200 Euro and tinkering with controller, drilling) which at this point, puts the overall cost of tuned Vision by 300 Euro more than Vision Plus, and... I still even have not matched it's performance, because:

- Vision + with it's gimbal would be by almost 100 grams lighter than Vision + Rotorpixel (better responsiveness and battery life?),
- VIsion + has a 3d gimbal, Rotorpixel has 2d and even if they were both 3d, Vision + is more precise and lighter.

The absolutely deciding factor was the fact, that for some idiotic reason, Vision prices are way over DJI's recommended MSRP and that alone makes Vision cost around 830 Euro in UK, instead of 789... So another 60+ Euro less difference between Vision and Vision + and if you wanted to order Vision directly from DJI, there is a delivery cost of 77 Euro while all orders above 1069 Euro (cost of Phantom 2 vision +) have free delivery.

So there you have it, Vision + is a better deal out of the box, but it does not change the fact, that I will be afraid about damaging gimbal.
I can see, that as long as you don't damage the wire, you should be able to fix it yourself, by reassembling or adjusting.

There will always be a risk of breaking the gimbal and having to shell out 600 Euro for new gimbal, but then again, Upgrading Vision would cost more plus, camera replacement for Vision is only 200 Euro cheaper... But FC200 is more difficult to break.

So here it is, a compromise, but I believe, that with my sanity, respect for the surroundings, being realistic about skills and awareness of surroundings, will allow me to use this equipment without breaking it. I have faith in myself...

Also, I decided to invest in the 9450 propellors, as I understand the Phantom will be more responsive (quicker reactions for compensating of pilot errors), minimise chances for VRS and more stability and power to tackle wind. Possibly better flight times?

So here you have it, analysis that took me more than 2 weeks.

I decided to buy from DJI dealer directly to have peace of mind if anything goes wrong. Unfortunately they are out of stock so I need to wait at least a week, no flying this weekend...

At least I will have time to study the manuals and best practices :)

dirkclod said:
:) Good luck and fly safe ;)

What do you bet we are still at the bottom of the learning curve here. Research is great! Lots of good info in these pages...wonder how much of it hit home, or did it just go zoom over my head.

The hell with my research and final thoughts...

At the last minute I figured I do not need the gimbal, I don't want to fly fearing I will break it, but I do appreciate the range so... I ordered Vision with RE700 extender...

Can't wait when it arrives! :)

un hombre said:
The hell with my research and final thoughts...

At the last minute I figured I do not need the gimbal, I don't want to fly fearing I will break it, but I do appreciate the range so... I ordered Vision with RE700 extender...

Can't wait when it arrives! :)

Jeez.... Id hate to go car or house shopping with you!

3 weeks of circular logic, and then you abandon your final "analysis" -)

Sadly, i think you will be looking for a V+ in a few weeks once you get over the fear of crashing.... :-(

I got lost somewhere... :roll:

What's the final verdict, without all the analysis?

I have to say this. If you are going without a gimbal in windy country, you will be sorry.

Believe it or not, I do not have any problems with decision making on daily basis.

This decision making experience was unique in that it is my first time purchase of something > 800 Euro, that with a small glich (or operators mistake) can get completely lost or destroyed. I had to take everything into account as well as experience I was looking for.

Just when I thought I have made up my mind, I decided to have a look at comparison videos on youtube for the first time.
This is when I finally realised, that super smooth video is not my priority, I'd rather have less malfunctioning and more sturdy model instead of gimballed Vision+.

I know how I like flying my Hubsan, recently I started flying inches above ground with full speed and just love the feel of speed when I am watching videos recorded by camera.

I'd rather have a toy I am not going to fear flying than a delicate delicate camera gimbal. I am sure I would appreciate the smooth video, but I am also sure I will be able to make my videos more than watchable with post processing, which is going to be done anyway if I want to add some sound to it.

So here it is, I chose Vision because of the "fun" factor for me, more confidence in rigidity, GPS reception and FPV camera view, which is more a FPV feedback view than a flying tripod :)

Sometimes you just gotta buy something, plunk down the cash and let the real "learning" process begin. Otherwise it all be talk. I am glad to see that this "Man" will shortly experience the thrill that we all have gotten and you only can get by flying.

I suggest on your very first flight that you see how far and how high you can go, try going under a bridge or a tunnel or fly through the trees, a great way to get first hand experience. Remember, it is Ready to Fly so there is no reason to connect to your computer, with the props on of course, and change all the settings to numbers that you like rather then the arbitrary numbers that were put in by the factory.

ok, I have to stop myself at this point as the guy who posts the above is a complete jerk and has no business saying the above, it is complete stupidity to think that what I say above is what should be done. I think I was trying to make a joke, or a sarcastic statement that would be obvious to anyone. So, no need to berate me as I am doing it myself. The worst thing I can possibly do is press the submit button, that would take a real ***.

Wedeliver said:
Sometimes you just gotta buy something, plunk down the cash and let the real "learning" process begin. Otherwise it all be talk. I am glad to see that this "Man" will shortly experience the thrill that we all have gotten and you only can get by flying.

I suggest on your very first flight that you see how far and how high you can go, try going under a bridge or a tunnel or fly through the trees, a great way to get first hand experience. Remember, it is Ready to Fly so there is no reason to connect to your computer, with the props on of course, and change all the settings to numbers that you like rather then the arbitrary numbers that were put in by the factory.

ok, I have to stop myself at this point as the guy who posts the above is a complete jerk and has no business saying the above, it is complete stupidity to think that what I say above is what should be done. I think I was trying to make a joke, or a sarcastic statement that would be obvious to anyone. So, no need to berate me as I am doing it myself. The worst thing I can possibly do is press the submit button, that would take a real ***.

Are you having a bad day, "Man"?

Not really sure why the sarcasm?

Thanks for the recap.

Good for you doing your homework before diving in.

If I knew then what I know now the whole thing would have been done differently.

Gotta love the flying machines though. You'll have more fun than you can imagine.

:lol:

un hombre said:
Wedeliver said:

Are you having a bad day, "Man"?
Not really sure why the sarcasm?

i am so sorry. i looked up un hombre and it said that meant "man. i have really enjoyed your process and i was trying to make you smile. i really am sorry and if you want i will remove the offensive part. no harm meant. what i posted just kind of came out as i thought of things to not do.. I want to delete what I said because it was unnecessary, but then folks would not understand. So I ask for your forgiveness.

Haha, don't worry. I thought you were implying that the very moment I am going to receive Phantom, I will take it, fly the hell out of it, far away from line sight, among trees, between obstacles etc! No, I am not going to do that, I respect and take care of my toys too much.

But I am feeling quite confident with my Hubsan now, so I assume it will not take me too long before I fly this thing further away and faster.

Anyway, it already left Hong Kong, if everything goes ok I will receive it middle next week.

I am excited like a small kid!

un hombre said:
Haha....

I am excited like a small kid!

and it justs gets better. Playing with.. working with... i get a lot of pleasure and energy and like yourself, I remember whät it was like when I was young. just be careful, go slow, and have a blast!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl