Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

Did some searching on another of our sites and saw this .
Might be father back in this thread and sorry if it is .
Screen%20Shot%202016-06-21%20at%201_04_02%20PM✨.png

Added / Just started at the front and see it is ,whoops

Sounds like a fairly reasonable alternative to the current pilot's license + 333 exemption requirement. I wouldn't mind doing some commercial stuff in the long term, but the financial investment for a pilot's license was a deal-breaker.

The TSA vetting is kinda stupid and wasteful. That's just another example of punishing the law abiding. Those who want to use the drones for nefarious purposes aren't going to bother with any of this.
Absolutely correct on the TSA vetting.

TSA vetting is for the No Fly List, most likely. Anyone on there should not fly obviously, and think what would happen if they did not do this due diligence?
I can guarantee you that no one on the no-fly list is going to go through this licensing requirement before using a drone for nefarious purposes.

UAVs would be allowed to fly up to 100 mph and as high as 500 feet above ground level

• Maximum altitude of 400 feet above ground level (AGL) or, if
    higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a
    structure.

This covers flying over buildings/structures the way I understand it.

TSA vetting is for the No Fly List, most likely. Anyone on there should not fly obviously, and think what would happen if they did not do this due diligence?
They completely skipped due diligence (due process) when they added people to the list in the first place.

Last edited:
    structure.

Not if your doing roof inspection work

Taller building roof inspections I assume.

or, if higher than 400 feet AGL, remain within 400 feet of a structure - 400ft padding around any structure is how comprehend this. If the roof is 500 ft high you should be fine as long as you are not over 400ft away from it.

Hobbiest are under the same old rules they always have. Part 107 covers most commercial application for line of sight commercial.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Oh yay, yet ANOTHER security background check. It sure would be nice if the government departments talked to each other, like "Hey you know we JUST cleared that guy, polygraph and everything" but what's another one to add to my list?

I have just skimmed over this thread so I could be wrong, but drone owners will now be able to make money with their drones as long as they pay for and pass a test?

I have just skimmed over this thread so I could be wrong, but drone owners will now be able to make money with their drones as long as they pay for and pass a test?
More like try and make money...:rolleyes: Lots of competition already, which will only increase exponentially now. Everyone with a drone is now a commercial drone photographer, after getting a $250 license! :eek: The big money, just like in photography on the ground, will be made by teaching paid workshops on how to make money with your drone as an aerial photographer, and build and run a profitable aerial photography business! What drone owner wouldn't pay a few hundred dollars to learn how to do that? ;) The real money will be made by the new aerial photo educators. Expect all the big name photo workshop educators to jump in with both feet! At the very least, you can now legally write off all your equipment, without first having obtained a pilot's license! :cool: Go get 'em, tiger! :D

Last edited:
    structure.

**First off ringolong this has nothing to do with you personally it's just a learning opportunity for all of us**

The quote above is exactly why we are expected to learn and understand "aviation" terms etc. This is exactly how it has always been from an aviator's perspective in terms of "How low you can fly". You must maintain the MIN alt below you to the ground or any substantial object below you. GL (ground level) is terra firma or any object sitting on terra firma.This could be a 50' tree, 100' tower, or 500' tall building. This is exactly how it's been for years in aviation.

If you're flying along and you're flying at safe MIN alt of (in this instance) 500'AGL. You see a 400' tower ahead of you then you either divert around the tower or ascend the additional 400' in order to maintain your 500' MIN altitude over whatever is directly under you. Usually a pilot looks on the sectional, pics the tallest point in the sector we are flying, and adjusts our MIN alt to reflect that single point (it's usually a mountain top or tower etc).

As a responsible UAS operator we need to remain at or below 400' AGL(above ground level). The same logic goes in our situation where if you're flying along flat ground at 400' AGL and you fly over a building that is 200' high then legally when you approach the building you "can" ascend an additional 200' to cross the building and maintain your AGL height. Just remember that as soon as you cross over the building you'll need to descend that same 200' within 400' of the building to remain in the clear in terms of the regs.

Now this is a huge exaggeration (mostly) but it demonstrates why we "need" to understand aeronautical terms and practices in order to be able to integrate into the NAS safely. If we can't integrate safely then we need to find something else to do with ourselves instead of UAS operations.

I will worry about it when the cornstalks I fly over start filing police reports. Nothing but open fields and flies. Perfect place to fly....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing