Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

I figured once I get through that course and look through the stuff in that resource section of the course, it sounds like you should be ready to take the test. I figured I would call one of the KTCs by me and see what they say for the test. Maybe we can get lucky and take the knowledge test before Aug. 21

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Indeed, I passed with flying colors...it only took 3 times. But to be clear, these certificates are NOT the Knowledge Test that non-pilots must take at a KTC? Anyone have feelings about that? In other words, even though I now have that certificate, I still need to register and pay whatever and go to a testing center once they start accepting registrants? @dirkclod @LuvMyTJ ??

As a bonus for me, I live so close to a KTC, I could fly my P3P to it from my patio. woohoo, think they would be impressed? I mean, they're only located at the end of a commercial runway...
That test is ONLY for people who currently hold an airman license. If you don't currently have a valid pilots license it means absolutely nothing. If you have your part 61 then it would apply.

Not trying to debate here... however, the part 61 Course / Test is good reference for those who are not part 61, note that the FAA site specifically states:

Others may take this course as a self-study resource, including:
  • Applicants for a part 107 remote pilot certificate who do not hold a part 61 pilot certificate (or part 61 pilot certificate holders without a current flight review)
  • Aviation Safety Inspectors (ASIs)
  • Anyone interested in learning more about 14 CFR part 107

Reactions: RodC and Nickster
@LuvMyTJ @SkyPixel

You guys are right. I read that in the course information just to make sure it would have relevant items for me as a person that does not have the part 61. I have to say, with what I have done so far, it is a great course for anyone looking to get a lot of the self study knowledge to pass the knowledge test. As it even says, people without part 61 can use this as a self study. It also has links to the manuals and other items you will need knowledge for to pass the test in the references section. I know it doesn't mean anything if I pass it, but it is a great reference and will really help me and many others to get the knowledge from the course and references to be prepared with our self study. I also plan on looking at anything else and the practice test questions for the knowledge test to see what else is missing from this course and materials to make sure I have everything covered.

Please keep posting if anyone finds more info in other places. Thanks again for all the info and breakdowns for the info everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If anyone is looking to get a head start on studying check out this website. You can click learning mode and choose which subjects you want to study. I'm guessing many of the test questions on the real test will be about the regulations, airspace, maybe weather, etc... I used this website to study for my private pilot knowledge test and it's really helpful.

Reactions: Nickster
Same luck here in calling around, I'm in the South Bay area, called several Torrance flight schools, they're not aware yet. I'm sure by August they will be. Best bet is to probably register with the providers of the testing service as mentioned in a previous thread. See CATS FAA test, Private Pilot Exam & Aviation Test | CATS Keep us posted if you find a place.

Reactions: IzzyP4
Same luck here in calling around, I'm in the South Bay area, called several Torrance flight schools, they're not aware yet. I'm sure by August they will be. Best bet is to probably register with the providers of the testing service as mentioned in a previous thread. See CATS FAA test, Private Pilot Exam & Aviation Test | CATS Keep us posted if you find a place.

Thank you for the link. Hopefully I can find a way to make money out of this hobby. Your site is awesome!

Testing will begin after August 27th.

Looks like the majority of the small drone photography businesses are either going to go under or just go underground. No way in hell I'm paying thousands to get 107 certification.

Relax. The only thing that costs is the exam, which is the same for any other pilot written exam, and that all goes to the testing center. The only thing that costs "thousands" is getting caught flying a unregistered drone ($27,500) because you didn't want to pay $5 to register it.

You can find all the study material for free online (Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, 14CFR107, etc. PDF) if you don't count the cost of ink and paper, and only if you insist on printing it out. You can also take advantage of online or classroom training, everywhere from $30 to $1500 (for the same material, still the same test).

Reactions: JBG
$7k? that's exactly $6,950 more than i will pay. very few will sign up. government wants to get paid boys. plain and simple. insurance costs less.

Government doesn't "get paid" for any of this, conspiracy fans. $7 k is a good price to get a PPL or sport license, but the money goes to the local flight school, and only if you insist on the 333 route and you are one of the 10% who actually play by that rule.

I'm seeing throughout this thread that it might cost $250 or it could cost $6800. Which one is it?
That $7k number comes from an "academic" exercise by some consulting firm based on the draft of Part 107.
They included everything (including the kitchen sink), such as the value of a high-paid employees time for the hours to study for and take the test, and even travel time and vehicle costs to get to the testing center. And a lot of the costs were not valid based on the final rules.

Reactions: Bob Thacker
This license and test doesn't apply to hobbyists right? I can still go out and fly for fun without having to worry? I drone is registered though.

I know I am late with this and please forgive me if I missed what I am going to post. I just joined tonight and this is my first contribution.
I did not see written here that rule 107 does not apply to hobbyists only business has flyers. So I posted this site:
Fly for Fun

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka