Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

Do I still have to register?
As a hobby/recreational YES you register yourself and use the same # on all your aircraft
As a commercial operator YES but you register each individual aircraft

Reactions: RodC
soo....do i need a license if i use it for non-commercial such as taking family photos under 400ft? i've already registered my drone and paid the $5 fee.

**First off ringolong this has nothing to do with you personally it's just a learning opportunity for all of us**

The quote above is exactly why we are expected to learn and understand "aviation" terms etc. This is exactly how it has always been from an aviator's perspective in terms of "How low you can fly". You must maintain the MIN alt below you to the ground or any substantial object below you. GL (ground level) is terra firma or any object sitting on terra firma.This could be a 50' tree, 100' tower, or 500' tall building. This is exactly how it's been for years in aviation.

If you're flying along and you're flying at safe MIN alt of (in this instance) 500'AGL. You see a 400' tower ahead of you then you either divert around the tower or ascend the additional 400' in order to maintain your 500' MIN altitude over whatever is directly under you. Usually a pilot looks on the sectional, pics the tallest point in the sector we are flying, and adjusts our MIN alt to reflect that single point (it's usually a mountain top or tower etc).

As a responsible UAS operator we need to remain at or below 400' AGL(above ground level). The same logic goes in our situation where if you're flying along flat ground at 400' AGL and you fly over a building that is 200' high then legally when you approach the building you "can" ascend an additional 200' to cross the building and maintain your AGL height. Just remember that as soon as you cross over the building you'll need to descend that same 200' within 400' of the building to remain in the clear in terms of the regs.

Now this is a huge exaggeration (mostly) but it demonstrates why we "need" to understand aeronautical terms and practices in order to be able to integrate into the NAS safely. If we can't integrate safely then we need to find something else to do with ourselves instead of UAS operations.

I agree, and this is exactly how I read it.:cool:

I used to stay away from high structures, but this opens doors.

I agree, and this is exactly how I read it.:cool:

I used to stay away from high structures, but this opens doors.
You are missing his main point. It has always been this way, all along, unless you are only referring to your own understanding, which has now been changed, by the clarification.

Reactions: SGs and BigAl07
Did some searching on another of our sites and saw this .
Might be father back in this thread and sorry if it is .
View attachment 57789

Added / Just started at the front and see it is ,whoops
Thanks for that Dirk. I am still sifting through all of this stuff. I even sent an email to FAA this morning for testing and review info to find out where that will be. I will post that when it comes out and I find out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: dirkclod
soo....do i need a license if i use it for non-commercial such as taking family photos under 400ft? i've already registered my drone and paid the $5 fee.
NO. AGAIN, as stated earlier, Part 107 is only for COMMERCIAL operations. Hobbyist rules are not affected.

Compare it to the cost of getting a pilot's license. If you already have a license you can skip the FAA cert test too...

Compare the Cost of Ownership between an Inspire 1 or P3P vs. a SEL FG FPP (Single Engine Land - Fixed Gear - Fixed Pitch Propeller) say a Piper Warrior, or a Cessna 152 or 172. Since I've personally experienced both, I will opine that your comparison is invalid. Not even close. As for licensing costs, depending on what type of aircraft you receive your initial training in and just as importantly, WHERE you undertake this training, a VFR only private pilots license (1 level after recreational) will cost much MUCH more than USD $7k. AND ... if you decide to actually USE your private pilots license after you obtain it, lets say to rent an airplane once a month to stay [legally] current/proficient the costs are as non-comparable as you could possibly fabricate.

We won't even broach the subject of ownership of an entry level airplane, say 4 seater, 160 hp, fixed gear, non IFR equipped plane. Why, to underwrite one of the latter would cause most to faint dead away.

So let's not start comparing apples to nuclear powered ocean going vessels. UAS/FAA is still in knee-jerk reaction phase and I'm not making any bets on what this situation looks like 12 months from now.

Reactions: Falcon900
Everyone,

I email Gary Middleton at the Cincinnati FAA office to ask him about the training and timetables. Here is what I heard back. Just keep an eye out on the website:

Nick,

Part 107 is not effective until August 21st. All of the training and testing material will up by then. Keep an eye on the UAS section at www.faa.gov. There will information there whenever it is available. It's all new to us also.

Gary

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

**First off ringolong this has nothing to do with you personally it's just a learning opportunity for all of us**

The quote above is exactly why we are expected to learn and understand "aviation" terms etc. This is exactly how it has always been from an aviator's perspective in terms of "How low you can fly". You must maintain the MIN alt below you to the ground or any substantial object below you. GL (ground level) is terra firma or any object sitting on terra firma.This could be a 50' tree, 100' tower, or 500' tall building. This is exactly how it's been for years in aviation.

If you're flying along and you're flying at safe MIN alt of (in this instance) 500'AGL. You see a 400' tower ahead of you then you either divert around the tower or ascend the additional 400' in order to maintain your 500' MIN altitude over whatever is directly under you. Usually a pilot looks on the sectional, pics the tallest point in the sector we are flying, and adjusts our MIN alt to reflect that single point (it's usually a mountain top or tower etc).

As a responsible UAS operator we need to remain at or below 400' AGL(above ground level). The same logic goes in our situation where if you're flying along flat ground at 400' AGL and you fly over a building that is 200' high then legally when you approach the building you "can" ascend an additional 200' to cross the building and maintain your AGL height. Just remember that as soon as you cross over the building you'll need to descend that same 200' within 400' of the building to remain in the clear in terms of the regs.

Now this is a huge exaggeration (mostly) but it demonstrates why we "need" to understand aeronautical terms and practices in order to be able to integrate into the NAS safely. If we can't integrate safely then we need to find something else to do with ourselves instead of UAS operations.

Thanks for the pertinent info and example here. Looking forward to gaining more aeronautical knowledge during the sUAS training and licensing process.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you intend to post a question, please read the thread first.

It's probably already been asked and answered. New questions are welcome. Ones that have already been answered 10 times are not.
Would ya mind condensing all these post so it want be so long ,I don't know how yet or I would :)
t1236.gif
...................................................................................................................................

Indeed, I passed with flying colors...it only took 3 times. But to be clear, these certificates are NOT the Knowledge Test that non-pilots must take at a KTC? Anyone have feelings about that? In other words, even though I now have that certificate, I still need to register and pay whatever and go to a testing center once they start accepting registrants? @dirkclod @LuvMyTJ ??

As a bonus for me, I live so close to a KTC, I could fly my P3P to it from my patio. woohoo, think they would be impressed? I mean, they're only located at the end of a commercial runway...

Yea ,about how many for me also just zipped through it . To be honest I think this was just a practice test .
I don't really know just what it was .Saw ringolongs post so I did it :)
If I read it all right the real stuff don't come out till August ?

Reactions: Tricky
Not sure if this helps but this is from pages 383 and 384 of the FAA release

As discussed in more detail below, the process for issuance of a remote pilot certificate will be as follows. First, an applicant will have to take and pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test. After taking the knowledge test, the applicant will be provided with an airman knowledge test report showing his or her test results. If the applicant passed the test, the applicant will then fill out an application for a remote pilot certificate using either the FAA’s electronic application process (referred to as the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) system) or a paper application. The FAA will then forward the applicant’s information to the TSA for security vetting to determine whether the applicant poses a security risk. Once TSA notifies the FAA that the applicant does not pose a security risk the FAA will issue an electronic temporary remote pilot certificate to an applicant who applied through the IACRA system.128 This temporary certificate (valid for 120 days after receipt) will be issued within 10 business days after receipt of an electronic application, and it will allow the applicant to exercise all the privileges of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating. Once all other FAA- internal processing is complete, the FAA will issue the applicant a permanent remote pilot certificate.

link:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

What a joke about the tsa vetting us citizens. As if sticking their hands down our wife's and kids pants isn't enough. Training the public to tolerate being treated like inmates needs to stop now. I am sick of it.

What a joke about the tsa vetting us citizens. As if sticking their hands down our wife's and kids pants isn't enough. Training the public to tolerate being treated like inmates needs to stop now. I am sick of it.

Flying an aircraft is a privilege and with that comes some needed background checks. It's like this... if you're going to play with the big boys in NAS you're going to jump through some of the big boy hoops. I see a time when every UAS operator (hobby and commercial) will need some type of "Certificate" to operate above the law (see what I did there?) and with that would be this same simple "minimal" vetting. It's basically , "Hey is Johnny on the No Fly List? No? Approved"

Reactions: dirkclod and JBG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka