Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

As I understand new UAV ruling Part 61 has everything to do with sport pilot's licenseprivate/ pilot's license/ yada-yada-yada that being said it seems a sport pilot license is still required at minimum to fly a uav.I do not know or understand about the TSA requirements... it seems the new UAV certificate still requires FAA Ground School and testing as well as the TSA certification, but like the sport pilot's license no Third Class Medical is required just a driver's license. Not quite sure on the triple 3 exemption but I'll bet my bottom dollar that it's still going to be a requirement along with its COA..... I'm still confused I have a pilot's license I have my triple 3 exemption do I need to go to the TSA for a certification???? Anybody out there that knows anything about this any replies would be greatly appreciated thanks

If you are "current" with your PPL you will have to only take the online test (when it's available). You're already vetted with TSA by the mere fact you have a PPL. Key word being "current". Simply having been granted a PPL in 1982 does not meet the requirements.

Not sure if this helps but this is from pages 383 and 384 of the FAA release

As discussed in more detail below, the process for issuance of a remote pilot certificate will be as follows. First, an applicant will have to take and pass an initial aeronautical knowledge test. After taking the knowledge test, the applicant will be provided with an airman knowledge test report showing his or her test results. If the applicant passed the test, the applicant will then fill out an application for a remote pilot certificate using either the FAA’s electronic application process (referred to as the Integrated Airman Certification and Rating Application (IACRA) system) or a paper application. The FAA will then forward the applicant’s information to the TSA for security vetting to determine whether the applicant poses a security risk. Once TSA notifies the FAA that the applicant does not pose a security risk the FAA will issue an electronic temporary remote pilot certificate to an applicant who applied through the IACRA system.128 This temporary certificate (valid for 120 days after receipt) will be issued within 10 business days after receipt of an electronic application, and it will allow the applicant to exercise all the privileges of a remote pilot certificate with a small UAS rating. Once all other FAA- internal processing is complete, the FAA will issue the applicant a permanent remote pilot certificate.

link:
http://www.faa.gov/uas/media/RIN_2120-AJ60_Clean_Signed.pdf

Great. Makes sense.

EDIT - Oh yes - costs

Knowledge Test Fee $2548.60 (notice the accuracy to the penny, I like that)
Positive Identification of the Applicant Fee $434.80 (my wife would likely do this for considerably less)
Small UAS registration fee $85.70 (ouch)
TSA Security Vetting $1026.50 (This makes little sense, it cost $50 to sign up for the Precheck system)
Knowledge Test Report $154.90 (Maybe this is the actual fee and the other one is something else).

That cost table is confusing. It represents total costs for implementing the process (in thousands of dollars). Quoting from elsewhere in the document:

"The estimated out-of-pocket cost for a small UAS operator to be FAA-certified is less than $300."

Another document states: "The FAA has analyzed the benefits and the costs associated with this final rule. The estimated out-of-pocket cost for an individual to become FAA certificated as a remote pilot with a small UAS rating is $150,"

Last edited:
Looks like the $150 to take the test according to page 13 of the press release. Figure there will be additional fees for the background check, etc.

Not bad.

Looks like the $150 to take the test according to page 13 of the press release. Figure there will be additional fees for the background check, etc.

Not bad.
Yes, I found that and updated my comment above while you were writing this....

Not bad.

The background check is really just a check with TSA that you're not on a do not fly list. It is done by the FAA and there is not cost for it according to my conversation today.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Most of these rules look like the only apply to people who want to fly your drones commercially. People who just want to fly recreational, doesn't look like you have to take a knowledge test.
I hope this is the case.

How high can a drone fly for hobbyist/recreational only purposes,

according to new rules, for August 2016?

Up to 400 feet or 500 feet?

Sent from my nice iphone6s+

using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
Most of these rules look like the only apply to people who want to fly your drones commercially. People who just want to fly recreational, doesn't look like you have to take a knowledge test.
I hope this is the case.
Yes, only applies to commercial use.

So, if I want to shoot real estate photography and charge my customers for the photos, I would simply have to take the $170-$300 Knowledge Test and I'm good to go correct? I'm really confused by the information that I'm reading.

Reactions: JBG
So, if I want to shoot real estate photography and charge my customers for the photos, I would simply have to take the $170-$300 Knowledge Test and I'm good to go correct? I'm really confused by the information that I'm reading.
Then stop reading forum posts and go to www.faa.gov/uas and educate yourself. The amount of false information being spread today is incredible.

Two points:
  • 107 is for commercial use only. There is no change to amateur use. Business as usual.
  • If you think it costs $7,000 to get a 107 cert, I've got a bridge to sell you! It'll be about $250.
Once you get a 107 cert, you need to follow the 107 rules. Unlike the 333, these rules are now codified and will have little to no ambiguity in terms of enforcement.

And just to be a little confusing with regard to enforcement for the sake of the amateurs, amateur use may now default to part 107 rules if the activity falls outside of guidelines set in section 336 of the 2012 FMRA.

Yeah, My craft is registered, just would have to do the TSA vetting and then take the test it sounds like. That is really great news!

Commercial Registration to be specific.

I have tsa clearance from my day job. I wonder if that can apply and help expedite the process.

I have tsa clearance from my day job. I wonder if that can apply and help expedite the process.
I would imagine that's perfect. The TSA screening is the screening entity so they will check their own database and you should be good. That's a HUGE assumption though and I doubt it would be any quicker since it most likely is done in the order received.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj