p3 won't take off after sitting for a while turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
so here's the deal, i turn everything on and get my p3 ready to fly. but then i let it sit there for i don't know, like 10 or 15 minutes. i turn my tablet screen off during that time, but drone and remote are still on. then when i get ready to fly, i turn my tablet screen on and try to take off....but nothing. it says its connected still and i can still see the camera screen. full satellites and everything. but no go. i can turn everything off and on again, and still nothing. last night i was using litchi to begin with, then i tried the go app and it told me i needed to do that IMU calibration. but i had just flown a flight before that with a different battery and had no problems. i even let it sit for about 15 minutes and then powered it up again and flew it right away and it was fine again. it only does this when everything has been turned on and just sits before i fly it. it happens every time. any ideas?

Just a question but why do you let it sit for 15 minutes. I usually try not to wait so I have max battery power to fly with. Not sure why it doesn't fly if it's all connected though.

there are a lot of low flying planes and choppers flying over all the time, so when i hear one i was going to fly up behind it and get video of it. i know it will be hard but i want to see how high they really are if i can get it level with my height.

Your not serious right? Your saying you want to fly close to a manned aircraft??

If they are flying below 400ft, you probably should not be flying there at all.

I already posted asking if this was ok and everyone said yes, as long as you know the risks. well i'm flying up BEHIND a plane, so there really are no risks. most people said you wouldn't be able to get video of it cuz they're flying to fast but thats ok. just wanted to try. not breaking any rules. just wondering why my drone won't take off.

could that be because you are trying to fly inside a DJI NFZ?
BTW I'm not sure if what you are trying to do is legal! How can you get behind a jetliner using a slow drone? By the time you reach the plane's height the plane will be kilometers away unless of course you get at it's height before it reaches your drone and that's not only dangerous but it's also stupid!

Last edited:
Reactions: FrequentFlyer
No, I'm no where near an airport. this is at my house, so i fly missions from here all the time. i never have an issue until i started letting it sit like this for a while

then the plane will probably be thousands of feet higher than you/your p3. How are you planning to override the max height limit?

really?? you've never seen a plane fly lower than "thousands of feet" if they weren't near an airport? not sure where you live, but around here they do all the time. helicopters especially. i saw this little touristy helicopter like right above the trees the other day. and these little planes fly real low, i'm guessing 400ft or below.

anyway i can tell you exactly how low they are if my stupid drone will take off when i need it to

I believe you have accidentally hit a "sleeping" bug. Your aircraft goes to sleep mode if sees no activities for long.

This is my guess. DJI should look into this possibility. No one else has found it cause no one usually waits so long.

Last edited:
Reactions: John N Kronyak
really?? you've never seen a plane fly lower than "thousands of feet" if they weren't near an airport? not sure where you live, but around here they do all the time. helicopters especially. i saw this little touristy helicopter like right above the trees the other day. and these little planes fly real low, i'm guessing 400ft or below.

anyway i can tell you exactly how low they are if my stupid drone will take off when i need it to

I don't know where you live but if what you are saying is true then flying a drone there is really stupid

Reactions: Chris P Duck
there are a lot of low flying planes and choppers flying over all the time
That's all you need to know to avoid that area. Please don't do what you are thinking to do.

Reactions: Chris P Duck
I believe you have accidentally hit a "sleeping" bug. Your aircraft goes to sleep mode if sees no activities for long.

This is my guess. DJI should look into this possibility. No one else has found it cause no one usually waits so long.
haha maybe so. i might try letting the motors idle next time. it'll run the battery down faster but maybe it won't go to sleep...

I don't know where you live but if what you are saying is true then flying a drone there is really stupid
you sound like one of those guys that only flys his drone in a field where no one is around for a hundred miles. sorry dude, but i live in a city. i can't help pilots are flying lower than they're supposed to, but i'm not gonna hide in my house afraid to fly cuz of that. i don't care where youlive - there's always a chance some pilot decides to get low and check out the scenery. i just don't let fear rule my life like that, sorry

Maybe the Phantom can read your intentions and won't let you do it. You sure you haven't uploaded some new DJI beta?

Just. Stay. Away. From. Aircraft. Absolutely no good can come from 'chasing' planes. You aren't going to get any decent images ('see that little dot? It's a Cessna.') You can't possibly judge altitude and 3D orientation from the ground. Your camera isn't going to give you much useful information.

Perhaps it isn't flat out illegal but it's pretty dumb.

you sound like one of those guys that only flys his drone in a field where no one is around for a hundred miles. sorry dude, but i live in a city. i can't help pilots are flying lower than they're supposed to, but i'm not gonna hide in my house afraid to fly cuz of that. i don't care where youlive - there's always a chance some pilot decides to get low and check out the scenery. i just don't let fear rule my life like that, sorry
It's not fear. It's being an adult. You should try it. Especially around aircraft.

This is exactly the mindset that will get the hobby (and it's a hobby folks, no diety given right to buzz around) under so many chains that you'll never take off anywhere. Just because you live in a city doesn't mean you get to do what you want.

So it sucks to be you and you have to live in a densely populated region. That makes it OK to take your high powered rifle and blast away? I can do that by walking a half mile behind my house (so I don't annoy the neighbors, I could do it from my back yard if I wanted to). You probably can't. Different places have different advantages and disadvantages. Just try to find Thai food around here.... You might be able to get it by picking up your cell phone. Just because you bought the drone doesn't give you carte blanche to do what you want.

You aren't going to get any decent images ('see that little dot? It's a Cessna.') You can't possibly judge altitude and 3D orientation from the ground. Your camera isn't going to give you much useful information.
yeah, may not be a good shot for sure, but won't konw until i try! just looking for a challenge. and if these planes are so far up and so fast, i guess theres no harm in trying

That makes it OK to take your high powered rifle and blast away?
i don't know what kind of drone you fly but mine is way less dangerous than a rifle. bad comparison.

anyway, if anyone has any ideas why the drone isn't taking off, that would be helpful

If you live in a city, planes are not flying at less than 500ft per FAA regs. Actually, if your city is considered congested, they have to stay above 1000ft. Unless they are on approach to land of course. But that would mean you are in a DNF zone. Choppers are not bound by that same rule but generally follow it unless they are about to land, especially over populated areas.

If you think planes and helicopters are flying below these altitudes, you should certainly not be flying there, even if you believe you are flying behind them. That attitude is what is giving drones a bad name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen