p3 won't take off after sitting for a while turned on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe some RTM but forgot to RTB
7A74B9E3-460E-4754-927A-32E927598B43.JPG

And maybe some in this thread even forgot to read here were we do not call others names Community Guidelines :)

And maybe some in this thread even forgot to read here were we do not call others names Community Guidelines
i guess people get excited when they are right and everyone else is wrong.

as people have stated multiple times, i'm not breaking any rules, so why is this so stupid? cuz i'm not out filming empty fields or rivers or stuff nobody is going to find interesting?? i film cars going down the road, or trains, or in this case i was trying to film a plane after it went by. no danger in that so not sure why thats so stupid.

oh, and i'm old enough to drive a car but i can't fly a drone?? that doesn't make a lot of sense. but most rules dont and most people are ok just following orders

you think i'm an idiot but you think my little toy drone is sneaking up behind your plane... maybe you should stay on the ground where its safe
Corey, since I don't know you, I cannot tell. You may just be juvenile and a bit immature or just be trolling, trying to insult people for fun. I honestly don't know, and frankly, I don't really care that much.

But I take it slow and clear so we understand each other.

A small single prop engine aircraft may be cruising at 120 mph. You will not be able to take off and get to that altitude before the plane has already passed. The only way for you to take a cool closeup picture of it is if you are already at that altitude. And since you cannot know if the plane is flying at 1200 feet or 1500 feet, you simply need to take the risk to be in the way. See, if I am flying the plane, I honestly don't care if your copter is behind me. I probably won't even see it. What I am worried about is if it is in front of me.

Your copter weighing 1.2 kg won't cause a fatal damage to the wings, empennage or fuselage, but it might break the windshield or even worse, the propeller. I will then need to perform an emergency landing at a nearby field. Since the altitude is already very low, the possibility to find a suitable field may be slim to non-existant, so the landing may end with substantial damage to the plane, objects in the way, personal injury or even death. And you might end up in court or possibly in jail (being from Sweden myself, I am not sure about the legal consequences in other countries). And you will have to live with it.

The risk for an in-flight collision is pretty low, I give you that - but is still there. And as such, very, very unnecessary, given that it will be nearly impossible to get an interesting action shot anyway. A small speck is more likely if anything at all.

If you want to take some truly interesting aerial shots, why not visit a nearby soaring club? They will be happy to take you for a spin. Who knows, you might end up with a new hobby.

//Thomas

Last edited:
See, if I am flying the plane, I honestly don't care if your copter is behind me
ok, so it sounds like it was just a misunderstanding so its cool. if you had read my explanation when someone wanted to get off on the subject of why i was letting my drone sit on the ground for so long, i explained that i was tyring to fly up behind a plane AFTER it had flown over, so you would be in no danger. again, i'm not starting off in the air. that's why i'm having this problem cuz my drone is on the ground just sitting there. i fly up after i hear and see a low plane

on top of that, you're flying way higher than planes do around my house. i see a lot that are around 400 or 500 feet. i know this since i get my drone up that high and it looks about the same distance. so if you are above 1000 feet, there is also no danger so again, don't think theres anything to argue about. i'm actually being very safe about this cuz i know how people get all worked up which is for some reason what's going on here.

btw - there is a small airport not far from my house, but more than 5 miles, so i guess the reason i hvae all this traffic is because of that.

again to all the haters, i'm probably being more careful than some people. so don't just hear the words "flying close to a plane" and imemediately jump to conclusions. why don't you understand whats going on before you go off on the same old tired rants

Mimoid thanks for clearing things up for everybody

No need to continue this conversation and try to explain why he shouldn't be flying the drone in the manner stated. Whether a troll or not.

Reactions: konidair
I can't read through 4 pages of this thread before replying: THE OP IS DOING NOTHING WRONG!!

I live in Seattle. I know where the NFZs are and stay away from them. But there is still air traffic all over the city with 'copters and low flying single-engine aircraft. There are literally DOZENS of safe places to fly that will nonetheless see the occasional interruption from a low-flying craft. We flyers around here have a saying: stay away from NFZs, stay under 400 feet, but still keep your ears open.

The fact that the OP sat and waited for the skies to be clear, so much so that his setup went into some kind of sleep mode, should indicate how safe he was being, so quit jumping down his throat.

In other words, get off your high horses. It's not called for here.

Last edited:
you sound like one of those guys that only flys his drone in a field where no one is around for a hundred miles. sorry dude, but i live in a city. i can't help pilots are flying lower than they're supposed to, but i'm not gonna hide in my house afraid to fly cuz of that. i don't care where youlive - there's always a chance some pilot decides to get low and check out the scenery. i just don't let fear rule my life like that, sorry

It's people like you who are going to ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

It's people like you who are going to ruin this hobby for the rest of us.

Or not. Even out of the city, air traffic is sometimes hard to avoid.

I once took off from a hill at an elevation of over about 600-800 above the valley below, out in the country. I stayed within 400 vertical feet of my HP, so up too 1,000-1200 above the valley. During the flight, I saw single-engine, fixed-wing manned airplanes flying down the valley, hundreds of feet below me, though quite a distance from my and my UAV by thousands of feet.

I will be 60 years old this year, several decades on Corey. Was I being unsafe flying from that spot? Before posting to this forum saying so definitively, you would have to know a LOT more about the conditions and situation I was flying in, but some of you will comment anyway. So who's being immature here?

I can't read through 4 pages of this thread before replying: THE OP IS DOING NOTHING WRONG!!

I live in Seattle. I know where the NFZs are and stay away from them. But there is still air traffic all over the city with 'copters and low flying single-engine aircraft. There are literally DOZENS of safe places to fly that will nonetheless see the occasional interruption from a low-flying craft. We flyers around here have a saying: stay away from NFZs, stay under 400 feet, but still keep your ears open.

The fact that the OP sat and waited for the skies to be clear, so much so that his setup went into some kind of sleep mode, should indicate how safe he was being, so quit jumping down his throat.

In other words, get off your high horses. It's not called for here.

To summarise the pages you've skipped:

He is not waiting on the ground for the sky to be clear before he takes off.
He's sat on the ground when it's clear and waiting for a plane / helicopter to pass over then shooting up behind it/chasing it in the hope to get some pics of them in flight.

Reactions: konidair
i see a lot that are around 400 or 500 feet. i know this since i get my drone up that high and it looks about the same distance. so if you are above 1000 feet, there is also no danger

I'm more or less at a loss for words here.

To summarise the pages you've skipped:

I have caught up now.
He is not waiting on the ground for the sky to be clear before he takes off.

Wait, I thought this whole thread was due to him waiting on the ground for traffic to clear?
He's sat on the ground when it's clear and waiting for a plane / helicopter to pass over then shooting up behind it/chasing it in the hope to get some pics of them in flight.

I found that part. Waited for the plane to pass over. In other words, gone by, as in cleared the immediately near skies.

I personally have not hopped up in the sky and chased any planes, but everything else in that scenario is a known thing to me. Meaning, after a plane has passed, I get up into the relatively near airspace it had just vacated. <shrug> The plane is gone, or at least several hundred feet distant, flying in a direction away from me.

I sometimes fly near an air harbor. I do not get up in the sky if I hear a pilot beginning their taxi. If I'm already in the sky, I look to see what their direction is. If they're going to take off my way, I get low or land.

After they pass and there are no other planes taxiing the lake, it's free and clear.

I think the key takeaway here is that unless you're flying in a place like Kansas rural areas, where the horizons can be clear for miles in 360 degrees, and especially if you fly near urban areas, you need to keep your ears and eyes open.

Last edited:
cool, yeah thanks for the support/common sense. all the people whining still never could tell me what i was doing wrong -that's because i wasn't breaking any rules. i guess good thing we don't have them working for the FAA or we'd have so many rules nobody could fly anywhere or do anything lol. but thanks for the advice.

cool, yeah thanks for the support/common sense. all the people whining still never could tell me what i was doing wrong -that's because i wasn't breaking any rules. i guess good thing we don't have them working for the FAA or we'd have so many rules nobody could fly anywhere or do anything lol. but thanks for the advice.
Corey, I think your OP made most people jump thinking you're being quite careless. However you've kept your cool and explained yourself. I applaud you for that. In my opinion you've been much more mature than many other posters. However to think logically, I do agree with others that your intentions will not give you the results you want. It will take you 30 seconds to get to elevation. By then a plane traveling 120 MPH for example will be a mile away. It will be a speck on the horizon. This is assuming you are waiting till they pass before ascending. Do you mind me asking where you're located? Aircraft flying that low with frequency doesn't make sense unless there is an airport nearby.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Rypper1
you sound like one of those guys that only flys his drone in a field where no one is around for a hundred miles. sorry dude, but i live in a city. i can't help pilots are flying lower than they're supposed to, but i'm not gonna hide in my house afraid to fly cuz of that. i don't care where youlive - there's always a chance some pilot decides to get low and check out the scenery. i just don't let fear rule my life like that, sorry
No but you should fear for the lives of the pilots and people in the plane and those they could potentially take out on the ground.

Drone=great hobby
Using said drone to "follow" aircraft=not a great idea.

Plus now that you've asked publicly, should anything happen in your neck of the woods too will be the first the faa tracks down (and trust me they will).

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: aenbacka
So I suppose this thread has gone on long enough. While Corey may not see the hazard, it is there. Flying anywhere you KNOW aircraft will be traveling is a very bad idea, even if you think it is OK, it really isn't. Better to err on the side of caution vs. risking it. And living in the city is no excuse. If you had a drag car you wouldn't/shouldn't drive it on public streets because you don't live near a drag strip right? So if you choose a hobby that is not conducive to where you live you will have to travel to safe places to fly. While I could fly from my home, I do not. I pack up and drive about a mile or so away where the woods & fields are. When it comes to manned aircraft and your RC aircraft, the manned craft ALWAYS have the right of way. Hindering that right of way only punishes everyone who enjoys the hobby responsible and more importantly, endangers the lives of the people inside those aircraft. It's just not worth it.

54555984.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik