Official P3 Range Leaderboard

Battery mod & externals

Extra things to get: Boosters..tripod..rubberbands...zipties..tape...oh and a lawn chair
Hey, sorry forgot to mention I also have:
the tripod and the device adaptor for the tripod, hoodman sun shield, lawn chair, zip ties, tool box, car battery chargers. Tape.
But I don't have rubber bands, and I've seen people talk about going out to fly and forgot to take rubber bands! Please, what are the rubber bands for??
Thx.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

the tripod and the device adaptor for the tripod, hoodman sun shield, lawn chair, zip ties, tool box, car battery chargers. Tape.
But I don't have rubber bands, and I've seen people talk about going out to fly and forgot to take rubber bands! Please, what are the rubber bands for??
Thx.

A bad habit you don't want to get into my friend! Some lazy reckless irresponsible long-distance flyers like myself use them to keep the throttle forward instead of having to hold it the whole time. If you do start doing this I warn you,remember that it's on there in critical moments of panic. In my early stages of using it I would forget to take it off on RTH situation and instead of stopping & landing the a/c would fly right past Home point[emoji41]

Reactions: ray rokni and Ed209
Now add post-its to that list to make note to stick on rc saying "remove rubberband when RTH kicks in"

A bad habit you don't want to get into my friend! Some lazy reckless irresponsible long-distance flyers like myself use them to keep the throttle forward instead of having to hold it the whole time. If you do start doing this I warn you,remember that it's on there in critical moments of panic. In my early stages of using it I would forget to take it off on RTH situation and instead of stopping & landing the a/c would fly right past Home point[emoji41]
Ok, now I see the reason for elastic bands, at first I thought you Guys used it as a propulsion system! Lol.
Right now I'm not so much into the distance thing, ( I'm sure I'm just fooling myself) where I live, there is only one direction I can get to about 15000feet stock and I'm tired of seeing the same poop time after time.
I came up with a great idea to increase range without any mods to the p3p, I would climb on top of my roof where I now have los in all directions. But climbing on the roof is getting a bit uncomfortable as dragging my couch up there is really not feasible!
That's why I got the maxx, I'm going to try it without any amps to see if that gives enough penetration for the signal, if not then once I get the amps, then I'm going to want to get the battery mod and then the distance sickness will kick in and then I will GET THE RUBBER BANDS.

Thanks, have fun.

Reactions: dirtybum
Ok, now I see the reason for elastic bands, at first I thought you Guys used it as a propulsion system! Lol.
Right now I'm not so much into the distance thing, ( I'm sure I'm just fooling myself) where I live, there is only one direction I can get to about 15000feet stock and I'm tired of seeing the same poop time after time.
I came up with a great idea to increase range without any mods to the p3p, I would climb on top of my roof where I now have los in all directions. But climbing on the roof is getting a bit uncomfortable as dragging my couch up there is really not feasible!
That's why I got the maxx, I'm going to try it without any amps to see if that gives enough penetration for the signal, if not then once I get the amps, then I'm going to want to get the battery mod and then the distance sickness will kick in and then I will GET THE RUBBER BANDS.

Thanks, have fun.

You've already tried the heroin (antenna mod)...You'll be back chasing that high and looking for another fix soon!

Reactions: dirtybum
You've already tried the heroin (antenna mod)...You'll be back chasing that high and looking for another fix soon!
No, I haven't tried the mod yet, I just ordered it today. But either way, you are right. Once I start on something I can't let it go till I have exhausted all possible upgrades, beat all records that I can and then get bored pass it on to someone else and start the next project, probably p5 by then.

I got 25,320 with a homemade windsurfer today ... Problem is, I only managed to come back 14k feet. Had to land short and go pick it up, wind kicked up on me. Lesson learned. Always have a backup plan and landing spot thoughtout before hand :)

I got 25,320 with a homemade windsurfer today ... Problem is, I only managed to come back 14k feet. Had to land short and go pick it up, wind kicked up on me. Lesson learned. Always have a backup plan and landing spot thoughtout before hand :)
Always have 3! Usually 1/2, 2&3 miles from homepoint[emoji41]

Reactions: ray rokni
Right now I have the small ItElite panel unboosted. I don't plan on doing any battery mods, I just want better penetration through trees, etc. Would I be better off getting amps for my panel, or the MaxxRange unboosted?

Right now I have the small ItElite panel unboosted. I don't plan on doing any battery mods, I just want better penetration through trees, etc. Would I be better off getting amps for my panel, or the MaxxRange unboosted?
Even though the maxxrange is big and challenging to find a case for it, boosters and booster batteries are a hassle to operate if you don't need them, there's nothing more freeing that hooking up the big Maxxrange unboosted and getting the same signal as a boosted mini panel

Last edited:
Even though the maxxrange is big and challenging to find a case for it, boosters and booster batteries are a hassle to operate if you don't need them, there's nothing more freeing that hooking up the big Maxxrange unboosted and getting the same signal as a boosted mini panel

Thanks DB. The MaxxRange is a lot cheaper than buying the amps, plus I have a Fearless backpack that has a large zippered pocket that I think is big enough for it...what are the dimensions? The nice thing about my small panel is it fits in the backpack while connected to the controller...I like not having to disconnect it.

I think the maxx is almost 14" x 8" (a little smaller?)..not a 100% sure tho

Reactions: DennyBoBenny
So close, she needs a bath!
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1464272501.736604.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1464272513.268400.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1464272521.250838.jpg

Update: clean enough for this farm bird!
Let's try this again[emoji41]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1464278367.140588.jpg

Last edited:
Thx.

Haha the rubber band trick is amazing I use it all the time I might even set my alarm clock next time for 15 minutes and take a nice nap. ( Turn around) nap again for another 13 minutes the last two minutes full flight control and land. Hahaha

It can only fly on zero for so long! I don't know how those boys in Florida fly on zero for a whole mile. I can go about 2000 feet
Since you posted your dirty bird, here's my close call landing a few days ago. I'm glad i made it to land :) Again, i made it 25k out .. only back halfway :) my "not gonna make it, oh **** moment" is at 1132, landing is right at the end. it gets more interesting at 13:30. Did not want to land in that farmers field, he has a shotgun. The place I landed was a more friendly yatcht club (but still short of my emergency spot).

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

I also learned that, during the auto-land, the bird is more controllable than I had thought. You can still increase altitude, its just not gonna stay in the air for long :) I love this!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures