Official P3 Range Leaderboard

ok time to fire this thread up guys..3 reasons why we cannot get the drone up and flying...(work...women...weather) mine is the later most arvos blowing 40 knots ...just waiting for that perfect windless morning...anyway xmas not far away seasons greetings to you all..

Alright sounds good AIan I have set a goal for my self of 80,000 feet with a camera hopeing to achieve befor the year is up. I need a 5mph or less wind speed out of the NW or NNW for this. Like I always say the p3 is the king of the Long distance Quad flyers... Everybody get out there let's see some #...

Reactions: lolo780
ok time to fire this thread up guys..3 reasons why we cannot get the drone up and flying...(work...women...weather) mine is the later most arvos blowing 40 knots ...just waiting for that perfect windless morning...anyway xmas not far away seasons greetings to you all..

The biggest reason this thread lost traction is the model, the p3, it's still the most capable model of distance of any dji product and most others. But most have moved on to p4p and mavic, with a high percentage of most new flyers because of that shift being new guys, not interested in doing distance but interested in the many new features and photography.
The second biggest factor in the death of this thread is Pablo Chacon's record flights. And now before the haters take that, as vindictive or mean, give me a chance to explain, and remember that Pablo himself said I hope nobody was scared off.
Any newbie to the PIII that sees the leaderboard and thinks wow, immediately realizes he's probably is never going to achieve 60 to 80,000 feet. Where as somebody coming over to the Mavic leaderboard sees a much smaller range on the leaderboard and thinks I can place a number up there.
When the leaderboard started for the P3, a group of Internet buddies would post up some numbers, share what they was using, those batteries and antennas would be a buzz and everybody picked them up, then they would top that guy with that set up, and try new batteries or antennas. This is what fueled this thread and what everybody loved about it. The openness and honesty is what fueled the competition. When this thread was at its peak, and us "buddies" only cared about flying distance so we can share our set up and encourage the next guy to top it, the back-and-forth was what made everybody want to read this thread even if they wasn't participating in the distance. And so the number one reason this thread has all but disappeared is not only because the P3 is old, but because the distance leader decided that he "can't give away all his secrets" and and that's when the friendly competition ended, there was no back-and-forth at that point, and most people lost interest, not in the P3 and what it's capable of, but just in the competition. I still wish everybody who is still interested the best and if they want my advice I'll always be there for them[emoji41] and give them any information I have that could help them top my record.

FYI, I still fly the PIII for distance and I'm trying out new things, mostly batteries because my antenna set up has proved to be very dependable, although I have lost one of my major flying spots due to construction projects.at this point it's all about trying new battery combinations. It's still a fun game, just not the way it was.

Hey Alan i plan on coming back some day and maybe even putting up some numbers. I got a little side tracked with the mavic because i think its a little easier to find a place to fly out 50,000ft then 80,000. I wish i had a place where i can fly 100' up instead of 1000' over mountains and not have to worry about loosing my batteries (oh ya and the p3) in a dense forest.

Here's my last flight,,, i had some issues on the way back at 25,000' and 21'000 ft where my bird took a sharp turn left and then again at the end at i think around 5000' where it finally took the dive. Zoom in on the map you'll see what i mean...I thought it was getting attacked by a bird. Or maybe a compass issue IDK.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

The biggest reason this thread lost traction is the model, the p3, it's still the most capable model of distance of any dji product and most others. But most have moved on to p4p and mavic, with a high percentage of most new flyers because of that shift being new guys, not interested in doing distance but interested in the many new features and photography.
The second biggest factor in the death of this thread is Pablo Chacon's record flights. And now before the haters take that, as vindictive or mean, give me a chance to explain, and remember that Pablo himself said I hope nobody was scared off.
Any newbie to the PIII that sees the leaderboard and thinks wow, immediately realizes he's probably is never going to achieve 60 to 80,000 feet. Where as somebody coming over to the Mavic leaderboard sees a much smaller range on the leaderboard and thinks I can place a number up there.
When the leaderboard started for the P3, a group of Internet buddies would post up some numbers, share what they was using, those batteries and antennas would be a buzz and everybody picked them up, then they would top that guy with that set up, and try new batteries or antennas. This is what fueled this thread and what everybody loved about it. The openness and honesty is what fueled the competition. When this thread was at its peak, and us "buddies" only cared about flying distance so we can share our set up and encourage the next guy to top it, the back-and-forth was what made everybody want to read this thread even if they wasn't participating in the distance. And so the number one reason this thread has all but disappeared is not only because the P3 is old, but because the distance leader decided that he "can't give away all his secrets" and and that's when the friendly competition ended, there was no back-and-forth at that point, and most people lost interest, not in the P3 and what it's capable of, but just in the competition. I still wish everybody who is still interested the best and if they want my advice I'll always be there for them[emoji41] and give them any information I have that could help them top my record.

Well I'm glad I am only the second biggest reason this thread has lost traction. Lol. You crack me up DB. But I'll agree with you about the first statement you made. Sometimes I do enjoy taking video and photos but sitting down in Photoshop and editing them just gets to be a pain in the *** and very time-consuming. Long-distance flying as you know it's very cut and dry either you made it or you didn't and if you didn't did you learn anything. And if you did make it back successfully could you have went farther was it a personal best. Lots of great things that is attractive about long range flying. On some of the Facebook groups that I am in we are encouraging new flyers to try investing in a P3. As you know or maybe you don't there is a distance barrier in the DJ I Mavic pro everybody thinks it's hardcoded in the firmware The best you're going to get is 58,500 something before it automatically disconnects itself then goes in to return to home. Which is very disappointing I have one sitting that I was going to make into a project long range flyer and now I'm thinking what's the point. The P4 The prices are coming down for sure personally I don't like the shells on the P4 they develop cracks real easy and they don't seem like there is durable as the p3 just my opinion but I do have one I'm still working on. But I must say I disagree with what you said about immediately realizing you will never achieve 60,000 + ft. It depends on how passionate of a flyer you are. I'm glad to see you out there doing the some testing because it's all about trial & error. i'll leave you with this it will give you some motivation.

366e8f4e25826cd6318657ef77242256.jpg

I'm a lurker on this thread but I'll say this: DB beat that what - almost two years ago? Maybe only a year and a half. One way, of course. But still... I think most of us keeping up with this thread know - distance is not really the problem.

(unless you're me)

Ill have more time. Im looking at installing new antennae on my RC and giving it a shot. Thank you guys for giving so much info on the antennae / RC set ups.

(Edit... all ready ordered)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pablo Chacon
As it may be a rule for those flying commercial with 107 certified........Since Congress has stated, FAA can not impose laws for recreational use, which makes it a "recommendation" while flying non commercial.
But the law already exists. It's in no way, shape, or form a recommendation.

I'm not trying to be the distance police. But it's not a good idea to spread false info.

i'll leave you with this it will give you some motivation.

366e8f4e25826cd6318657ef77242256.jpg

I'm a lurker on this thread but I'll say this: DB beat that what - almost two years ago? Maybe only a year and a half. One way, of course.

Yeah this was only a one-way flight also, you would have to be flying like 40 mph to make it back on that flight.

But that screenshot might get a few people to say wow, but it definitely doesn't motivate anybody, motivation would be saying hey check out this battery set up I was using, they work great, go out and get some guys and see if you can come close to this distance, that's motivation.
That was the point I was trying to make, that's what kept this thread fueled.

Last edited:
If one flies out of VLOS, that flight, by legal definition, is a Part 107 flight.

I've sat and watched for more than 2 yrs how a handful come in late and shake fingers at people as if everyone on the forum are 9 yr olds. Most here if not all here have safety in mind. I've yet to see someone at phantompilots blatantly cause damage with I'll intent. And most if not all know that even if they fly further than the eye can see, they are still ultimately responsible. Do you think your finger shaking posts stopped even 1 person from increasing flight distance? I doubt it.

Ok... I'm off my soapbox.
As Paul Harvey said
Good Day

Last edited:
FYI, I still fly the PIII for distance and I'm trying out new things, mostly batteries because my antenna set up has proved to be very dependable, although I have lost one of my major flying spots due to construction projects.at this point it's all about trying new battery combinations. It's still a fun game, just not the way it was.
Dirty, what type of antenna are you using? I want distance but i also want dependability

Reactions: dirtybum
Apilot101 - im still using the CCP's when i fly my p3 around, nice cheap option. I can't recall what db was running. Maxxrange 14dbi panels were pretty decent as well, the iTelite ones weren't too bad.

Anyone recall the current stock cam record? my 60k run was a mod-cam, best i did was 55k stock. DB - is your 63k stock cam or mod cam??

Reactions: Apilot101
Apilot101 - im still using the CCP's when i fly my p3 around, nice cheap option. I can't recall what db was running. Maxxrange 14dbi panels were pretty decent as well, the iTelite ones weren't too bad.

Anyone recall the current stock cam record? my 60k run was a mod-cam, best i did was 55k stock. DB - is your 63k stock cam or mod cam??

My 63 run was with full cam/gimble and the multistar 10.0 brick, it was an unbalanced mess, but it killed.
No, literally, it flipped the craft upside down at my feet on the return landing.
I do have proof of a 64000' ft run w/ gimbleless cam but I dont think I posted it because I wished the leaderboard wouldve stayed full cam. But whatevvs.

Reactions: Digdat0

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT