No live video

Thx. I'll try that next time. But that screenshot was almost 2,000 ft away though, so I would imagine there was no signal overload at that time. I will close and restart the app next time. Didn't really want to do that during flight, as I was over water and was pretty far out.

Was kinda disappointed with stage 2 kit at first. By my house, I got less than1,000 ft before control signal was lost, but I don't have good LOS here. That field is very open with probably no rf interference. I went 3,200 ft and probably could have gone further, but was a bit concerned about battery life. But overall, I am impressed with the kit and will probably add pinwheels to the Phantom later. I am just not looking forward to scraping epoxy off of a tiny connector, though...

I must say, I would be very concerned going on a high altitude long distance run with 3.04. When your battery's low and all you can get is 6M/S descent speed, that gets scary very fast...

i have something to add to this conversation. I do experience the FPV freezing up as soon as I take off. when the rotors are not spinning, FPV works before flight and as soon I stop the rotors.

I have a suspicion that it has something also to do with the charge % on my wifi extender. the times that I have had freeze ups is right after I have recharged my wifi extender. when I test later and my wifi extender is at 90% or lower, clean and solid FPV to my Galaxy Note 3.

Firmware 3.04
DJI App 1.038

I will continue to test my theory and see if it holds up. if so, I guess I would need to discharge my wifi extender or never charge it to full...

JeffB said:
Thx. I'll try that next time. But that screenshot was almost 2,000 ft away though, so I would imagine there was no signal overload at that time. I will close and restart the app next time. Didn't really want to do that during flight, as I was over water and was pretty far out. I must say, I would be very concerned going on a high altitude long distance run with 3.04. When your battery's low and all you can get is 6M/S descent speed, that gets scary very fast...

Sorry Jeff I thought you were close. I don't think you'll have that issue at 2000'! :oops: I agree on the slow descent speed of 3.02/3.04. That's why I still run 3.00!

flyNfrank said:
Ok so 1st go to the app store and download my $8.99 app. LOL....No I'm only kidding!

Download and install the DJI Win Driver Installer. Next Download and install the Phantom 2 Installer v3.0. Thats it. Do not upgrade to v 3.04.

Hmmm, doesn't seem to work that way on my PC. Once I have installed 3.04, even when reinstalling the DJI Win Driver, and uninstalling and reinstalling DJI Assistant 3.0 per your instruction, there is no option to go back to 3.0 firmware. Even if you first rollback to 1.08 (which can easily be done with Assistant 1.08), once you try using Assistant 3.0, the only option is to upgrade to the latest main controller firmware which is 3.04. Have you personally testing going from 3.04 to 3.0? It seems DJI has removed the 3.0 firmware update from their database so it can no longer be accessed. But if you have another way of going about this, I would love to understand you better as I would much prefer to be on 3.0. Thanks!

Hi all,

I recently purchased a second Vision+ and have been noticing a loss of FPV during flight with this second bird. My other Phantom never exhibited this issue, so it's likely going back to my retailer.

I had a poke around and according to the network traffic (seen through the LuCI Web UI for the network interface), the Phantom aircraft ceases to transmit further video randomly. I installed some additional software on the aircraft's OpenWRT-based router to give me more visibility (http://PhantomMods.info)

Most telling, even after leaving the Phantom powered up and rebooting the OpenWRT-based router inside the Phantom, video link could not be established. So I think the fault lies in whatever device supplies the video to the aircraft's router. Rebooting the whole aircraft allows the FPV to work for a short time again.

****, I really liked this second unit (the camera and lens are sharper than my first unit), but loss of FPV at random time is pretty serious.

HunterSK said:
Hi all,

I recently purchased a second Vision+ and have been noticing a loss of FPV during flight with this second bird. My other Phantom never exhibited this issue, so it's likely going back to my retailer.

I had a poke around and according to the network traffic (seen through the LuCI Web UI for the network interface), the Phantom aircraft ceases to transmit further video randomly. I installed some additional software on the aircraft's OpenWRT-based router to give me more visibility (http://PhantomMods.info)

Most telling, even after leaving the Phantom powered up and rebooting the OpenWRT-based router inside the Phantom, video link could not be established. So I think the fault lies in whatever device supplies the video to the aircraft's router. Rebooting the whole aircraft allows the FPV to work for a short time again.

****, I really liked this second unit (the camera and lens are sharper than my first unit), but loss of FPV at random time is pretty serious.

I don't know what has been said about the camera involvement, but I can't imagine that the camera or gimbal could be responsible for the lack of FPV, UNLESS... it is vibration of a loose connection that is causing your disconnect. And on that note, it wouldn't hurt to open her up and check connections. (like I said, I didn't read the entire thread.)

Hi slothead,

I opened her up last night and everything looks very neat. My issue is that FPV video works for a couple of minutes when I connect my smartphone to the Phantom, but it then ceases to stream live video randomly. Once FPV is dead, it never comes back unless I power cycle the whole aircraft. When the live video goes down I still get live telemetry.

I've purchased two Vision+ so far and my thoughts are that I have noticed quality-related issues on both units. Being $1500 units I expect a better quality product, and I'm seriously thinking of abandoning this type of product for a few years and come back when the industry has matured. I'll see how I'm treated when I contact my retailer. You know the saying "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me."

HunterSK said:
Hi slothead,

I opened her up last night and everything looks very neat. My issue is that FPV video works for a couple of minutes when I connect my smartphone to the Phantom, but it then ceases to stream live video randomly. Once FPV is dead, it never comes back unless I power cycle the whole aircraft. When the live video goes down I still get live telemetry.

I've purchased two Vision+ so far and my thoughts are that I have noticed quality-related issues on both units. Being $1500 units I expect a better quality product, and I'm seriously thinking of abandoning this type of product for a few years and come back when the industry has matured. I'll see how I'm treated when I contact my retailer. You know the saying "Screw me once, shame on you. Screw me twice, shame on me."

That's such a shame.
Initially when new, I had issues with my fpv and it can be so disheartening.
2 bad birds in a row is a real kick in the guts though.
3rd times a charm?

ToddSmi said:
flyNfrank said:
Ok so 1st go to the app store and download my $8.99 app. LOL....No I'm only kidding!

Download and install the DJI Win Driver Installer. Next Download and install the Phantom 2 Installer v3.0. Thats it. Do not upgrade to v 3.04.

Hmmm, doesn't seem to work that way on my PC. Once I have installed 3.04, even when reinstalling the DJI Win Driver, and uninstalling and reinstalling DJI Assistant 3.0 per your instruction, there is no option to go back to 3.0 firmware. Even if you first rollback to 1.08 (which can easily be done with Assistant 1.08), once you try using Assistant 3.0, the only option is to upgrade to the latest main controller firmware which is 3.04. Have you personally testing going from 3.04 to 3.0? It seems DJI has removed the 3.0 firmware update from their database so it can no longer be accessed. But if you have another way of going about this, I would love to understand you better as I would much prefer to be on 3.0. Thanks!

Yes I have tested after doing the work around. I also download every phantom file I can when found on dji website knowing that it may not be there long, and in case I need it later like now. One of the members here does the same thing except he also puts them on on his web page to be down loaded if needed. I don't remember his screen name though, and he might be a P2V member still? The only file I don't have is the v3.02 which was a joke none the less. Btw, there is also another version with the 2.0 assistant if I'm not mistaken. It might be v2.4? Anyway, there is generally no trouble getting the vPlus back to v3.0. It can be done on the P2V as well but the process is more detailed and usually takes a few attempts before it comes up with the v3.0.

I'll send you a PM that may help.

Double-D said:
That's such a shame.
Initially when new, I had issues with my fpv and it can be so disheartening.
2 bad birds in a row is a real kick in the guts though.
3rd times a charm?

This isn't the high level of quality I'm expecting. The level of service from both DJI and my local retailer/distributor has a lot to ask for. I'm leaving from Sydney to the US in a week and I'm thinking of making a purchase of a third Vision+ from B&H Photo, basically I want the option of a complete replacement on demand if I require it.

For those who are losing video AND telemetry, this worked for a young padawan (like me) on this forum.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=19395

Try rebinding the wifi extender/booster.
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phanto ... e_Extender

Actually, give it a try if your FPV drops frequently. I can only suggest that the wifi channel selected maybe highy used/incompatible or illegal in your region. If you rebind, it may give you a better channel. It's a stab in the dark so please don't flame me.

leorockford said:
Mako79

You say to relink the camera with wifi extender change channels?
If so it may be the solution.

2.4 Ghz is found everywhere in mobile wifi devices - laptops, printers, mobile/cordless phones, RC devices, digital media streaming, gaming consols, access points etc. Australia has only 12 authorised channels allowed. It's been used so much that we now have the 5.8 Ghz channels.

If you use the WIFI analyser in the Playstore market (android) you will notice how much 2.4GHZ activity is around you, especially if you have close neighbours.
Now if you share the same channel with some other device close by, it can cause interference and you get the wireless drop in and out.
Sometimes the WIFI channel set to the device may default to 1 by the manufacturers and therefore everyone is on the bandwidth/wagon.

Another theory on video dropping out when FPV transmitters/receivers are powered on without the antenna plugged in. Having no antenna fries the transmitter/receiver. ALWAYS HAVE THE ANNTENNA PLUGGED IN BEFORE POWERING UP!
Chances that this happens to an unopened/modified Phantom Vision is nil unless it crashed and the antenna plug fell off.

Stay safe!

Same issue here: iphone 5, latest firmware on all devices

I spoke to DJI support in Germany: They admit that there is an issue within the range extender. However they did not find any pattern in the affected serial-numbers. In some rare cases the remedy is to flash the range extender but mostly some parts in the range extender have to be changed. I any case you have to send it to back to them.

It's really a shame. It took me 20 minutes just to get this information. They try to hide their failure.

joedecker said:
Same issue here: iphone 5, latest firmware on all devices

I spoke to DJI support in Germany: They admit that there is an issue within the range extender. However they did not find any pattern in the affected serial-numbers. In some rare cases the remedy is to flash the range extender but mostly some parts in the range extender have to be changed. I any case you have to send it to back to them.

It's really a shame. It took me 20 minutes just to get this information. They try to hide their failure.

I don't understand companies like that. If there's a problem just admit it! Everything has problems at 1 point or another. If they were a good company they'd just say there's a issue what they thought it was and do the right thing and fix it. Is that really so much to ask??

I totally understand everything you tell me, my P2V+ does not work since I arrived.
I tried in open terrain and is cut equal to the video I made.
The other issue, I never had even one accident. I'm a radiohelicopter pilot.
Thanks for your comment.
Best Regards

I got tired of waiting.
I opened it.
At first impression, very hot for my wifi transmitter.
So I made a new sink.
The problem is not solved.
That is no longer invent.

Attachments

• Foto 15-07-14 14 25 41.jpg
    Foto 15-07-14 14 25 41.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 385
  • Foto 15-07-14 20 03 38.jpg
    Foto 15-07-14 20 03 38.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 435
  • Foto 15-07-14 14 26 19.jpg
    Foto 15-07-14 14 26 19.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 378
  • Foto 15-07-14 14 26 00.jpg
    Foto 15-07-14 14 26 00.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 432
  • Foto 15-07-14 14 32 36.jpg
    Foto 15-07-14 14 32 36.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 373
Hi everyone,

I doubt very much that this is heat related. The reason why I say this is because it is in the middle of winter here in Australia (temperature is 5-10C) and I do not see a correlation between ambient temperature and failure of live video.

Picked up a replacement Phantom Vision+ a few days ago and have been testing the new one for hours. This new one is perfect as my dealer had my previous one replaced. So The only way to fix my issue was to get a new Unit.

You have no way of knowing, through your dealer what the problem is or what the component to replace?
We have no distributor in Argentina.
Thank you

On the copter I had the no video issue with I could fly all day long with no problems as long as the outside temp was below 75 degrees. This is only speculation, but it doesn't seem to take much heat to throw off the compass reading. Some of you may have noticed when you are on the assistant in the tools section and calibrating the IMU from the Advanced tab, you may have gotten a popup message that says something like the copter is currently too hot to continue the process and to wait 5 minutes for it to cool down before proceeding. It also says something about the IMU being sensitive to heat, and heat can have an effect on compass settings. I'm the software may have been set to shut down resources when the copter reaches a certain heat range. So rather then the heat causing the compass to have wacky behavior and then a fly away, let's shut down the #1 source that creates heat which is streaming video.
Yesterday I worked on doing several IMU calibrations. Usually my compass mod value is always around the 1400's area. I began going through the process after already having the copter on for an hour, It gave me the Too Much Heat message. After getting the message a few more times I decided to shut it own and allow it to completely cool down completely. In doing this I managed to get the lowest ever mod value reading that was in the 850's. The Gyroscope and Acceleration mod values were almost perfect.
So this just goes to show that can be a big player into issues with our copters. And should something like this get combined with other settings that were incorrectly entered on the production line, could be why not all show up with the no video problem.

I'm not sure yet if the most recent vPlus I bought has the video issue or not. I have not flown in any heat related weather yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18