Newest software update caused crash on Home lock?

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am new here. I have dji phantom 2 (f306). I updateted newest softwares, calibrated everything, put new carbon props, and after tunning (2 days) i taked off.(software updated week ago).Flying with carbon props was great!
Everything seems normal. I tried home lock, on the same way like usual: turn off the controller.
He was waiting couple seconds and came back.
I tried to land manually (gps mode), I lost picture, he started descending, allmost falling, I was helpless. I tried att - nothing. I tried everything - switch on, of, gps, att, nothing.
Result: gimbal is making noice, stupid flat cable from gopro to gimbal is broken again... One carbon prop is broken, gopro camer little bit "damaged", but working.
That was on the adriatic see, I tried to catch him on the floor, because I could not stop him.
I have two stitchies on my right hand...The end of the recorded video is a very moment, when I switched controller on. After that nothing.
Thanks!
p.s. never try to catch your Phantom with carbon props!

ivicatumac said:
Hi guys, I am new here. I have dji phantom 2 (f306). I updateted newest softwares, calibrated everything, put new carbon props...

OUCH - I was afraid your story might end this way! So sorry and thank you for the warning. Actually, the worst I have seen in the forums was a man who sliced his eye open from a helicopter accident - it was a photo only a doctor should ever see.

Regarding your series of issues, it underscores the importance to avoid making multiple changes at the same time and to do careful (low altitude testing between flights). On some DJI software updates we need to change our gain settings for stable flight. Ditto when changing to CF props.

I hope you and your gear have a quick recovery.

So many stories the common denominating factor is CF props.

I am also not using them anymore.

ivicatumac said:
Everything seems normal. I tried home lock, on the same way like usual: turn off the controller.

That's not home lock, that's Failsafe/RTH. Home lock is a completely different feature, and it's important to know the difference.

When you want to trigger failsafe manually, it's better to do it via the S1 switch (top right) than turning off your controller. You'll need to put your Phantom in NAZA mode with the software to be able to change the setting on that switch.

Also, this section is for custom modifications to the P2, I'll move this thread to the section for regular issues on that model.

If you were coming straight down too fast when landing you would be going thru your own prop wash & lose lift, this gives you the express trip to the ground, flicking switches, moving control sticks just confuses the micro processors in the Phantom(ever had a computer lock up? Same thing) when you pull the throttle stick back to stop the motors it seems to take forever, mean while your Phantom is still trying to beat it'self to death, just gotta keep your head & keep the stick down till they stop.
As far as carbon props go, if they were THAT faulty, every Phantom that they were on would be falling outta the air, but they don't, so is it the carbon props or not understanding their flight characteristics that causes a problem?? Nothing wrong with the plastic props anyway.

Guipago said:
As far as carbon props go, if they were THAT faulty, every Phantom that they were on would be falling outta the air, but they don't, so is it the carbon props or not understanding their flight characteristics that causes a problem??

Same with the "software update".

Pilot error.

(I wish the OP would change the thread title... It perpetuates the myth(s).)

Here's how to prevent this type of crash from happening again:

1. Take the CF props off your Phantom.
2. Use a hammer to smash the CF props into tiny little pieces (wear eye protection).
3. Put the stock DJI props on your Phantom.
4. Go flying.

+100 on changing the thread title. The firmware upgrade had nothing to do with this crash.

ivicatumac said:
I tried to land manually (gps mode), I lost picture, he started descending, allmost falling, I was helpless. I tried att - nothing. I tried everything - switch on, of, gps, att, nothing.
Result: gimbal is making noice, stupid flat cable from gopro to gimbal is broken again... One carbon prop is broken, gopro camer little bit "damaged", but working.
That was on the adriatic see, I tried to catch him on the floor, because I could not stop him.
I have two stitchies on my right hand...The end of the recorded video is a very moment, when I switched controller on. After that nothing.
Thanks!
Read a book!!! sell your phantom.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl