Crash(Es) after DJI Go Update

Reaction score
Tonight was a rough night. Got home from work late and decided to do some flying with my Phantom 3 Pro.

First flight went off with no problems. I landed and had to change batteries and grab a snack. While eating, I saw that DJI released an update to the Go App so I updated. After the update was complete, I grabbed a fresh battery and went back out for another flight.
About 5 minutes into the flight, the App froze. I forced it to close and restarted it. About 10 seconds after the app reconnected, the drone started to spin. I hit the "record' button and tried to gain control with not much success.

The drone stayed on after hitting to ground and I was able to track it down with relative ease. Much to my surprise, the drone appeared to be in good shape. The only obvious damage was a broken blade. I took it back home and extracted the flight records/video.

I was initially thinking that something went wrong with the compass. I replaced all of the blades, rebooted the drone and recalibrated everything. Everything appeared to be in good working order. I took it off and had it hover for a few minutes at 10-15 ft. It hovered fine and responded appropriately to all commands. I took it up to 175 feet and started to fly. About 90 seconds into the flight it started spinning out of control and crashed again.

Here is the Healthy Drone log and video from the first crash HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

And here is the log from the second crash HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Normally, I'm the first to say that any given crash is caused by pilot error. I know I did everything right on both of these flights. It's very suspicious that these incidents happened after updating the app, especially when I had successful flights right before the update.
I do not recommend updating to the newest version of DJI Go until this can be investigated further.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd be surprised if the app had anything to do with your problems.
There's something there that keeps switching to atti.
The usual cause of that is that the Phantom has a problem because the data it's getting from it's compass and GPS don't match.
Whether it's compass or GPS, it's something in the Phantom and not the app.
You didn't mention anything about compass calibration ... it would be interesting for completeness.
Where/when was the compass calibrated?

btw .. there's no reason to update the app unless you are wanting to fly a P4, or shoot the infra red camera or X5 Raw on the Inspire..

App crashes seem to happen more frequently to me lately. It's very annoying because I like to use fpv for videos and pics. So, I just have to get used to flying old school. The record button still works but sometimes I'm not sure what I'm filming!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31