Newbie. Phantom or not?

Reaction score
I am just getting ready to start this hobby. I have been seriously considering a Phantom for a couple months now. I am starting to second guess my decision. Forums like this one, and others, are full of information about flyways, bad updates, bad software and other issues. This is not an investment that I can afford to watch fly away. I've been told that if I just leave the firmware as is, out of the box, I will be fine. I see guys on here posting that the Phantom is requiring an instant upgrade. Is that true? Is this a safe purchase right now? There are a few competitors on the market and coming soon as you all know. I don't want to sound like another newbie on here, but, I am.

Any help or input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Go to a certified DJI dealer. They can separate fact from fiction.

Yes, there have been issues for some. Some have had no issues.

Certified DJI dealer. Atlanta Hobby, UAV, aerial media pros, aerial technology. All USA folks.

Several overseas.

Hope that helps.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Thank you for your reply.

I have been in contact with one of those dealers listed. I can't help but remain concerned. I am still inclined to get a Phantom. I just want to be sure I am making the right choice. I love the platform, and its capabilities. I just want to be comfortable with it.

I've been flying the phantom for 5 months and I didnt have any problem.
No fly away, no bad response to the controls....
I think that a lot of people start to fly with no idea of how to set up the phantom before starting to fly.
The only problem I had was a bad made cable that fired my phantom (a paralel cable to use two bateries instead of one), and that was my fault, well, the chinese seller fault, but well, as I said, never had a problem with the phantom.
Its a machine that works properly if you know how make it work, and it isn't really difficult: read domentation and forums like this!!!

NCHoytArcher said:
I am just getting ready to start this hobby. I have been seriously considering a Phantom for a couple months now. I am starting to second guess my decision. Forums like this one, and others, are full of information about flyways, bad updates, bad software and other issues. This is not an investment that I can afford to watch fly away. I've been told that if I just leave the firmware as is, out of the box, I will be fine. I see guys on here posting that the Phantom is requiring an instant upgrade. Is that true? Is this a safe purchase right now? There are a few competitors on the market and coming soon as you all know. I don't want to sound like another newbie on here, but, I am.

Any help or input would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

I am also a "newbie" but have had no problems so far. I have several local and on-line friends to help guide me, and I suggest you find someone locally you can meet and feel you can trust. In any endeavor, you will hear horror stories, some true, some not and many highly exaggerated. And worse of all, some where the operator fails to admit he or she was at fault.

Never, ever apologize for being a newbie. Everyone is a newbie at one time or another, and asking questions is how we learn. I am a 75 year old woman who recently retired, and like you, am learning to separate the wheat from the chaff around here, and like you I can not afford to see a whole lot of "bucks" flying over the horizon.

Just go fly and enjoy the experience, and like an old pilot friend told me when I was learning formation aerobatics, "Just don't do nuttin' dumb"

I too am fairly new with the Phantom. Just take all the cautious steps in preparing for each flight you will be fine. I have been flying mine for about a month now and no problems whatsoever. This being my first aircraft I was very skeptical About what was to come. But I must say I am enjoying it more and more every flight! Just remember to be careful and don't overfly your skill level. Eventually it will become very natural Just like riding a bike.

I think if you were to ask Phantom owners if they really regretted their purchase decision, most all would say NO.

Sure, there are some who have had actual fly away situations, but I believe the majority are from people who don't
understand fully the meaning of the LED unit on the back, to make certain of full GPS satellite acquisition, getting home
position locked,or fail to calibrate the compass.

They have issues with software/firmware, as well, but most are attributed to integrating newer systems into the
existing control system.

You have been studying this for some time, and I think you are going to come to the conclusion, that for the money,
the Phantom is the best thing going.

Just don't ask the same question about the Zenmuse gimbal. On that, I would wait. ;)

Thank you all very much. Your replies are very helpful, and much more assuring than most of what I have read thus far. I have been told that the LED is the answer to most issues people have. I can understand how important it is to make sure it has run its tests and setup properly. I really am looking forward to getting my Phantom. With all the research I've done it does appear to be the best. I do like one of the competitors, but I'm not one to go into a hobby half a**ed.

As far as the zen muse. It will be a while before I attach something more expensive than the craft itself to it. For now, cheap camera. Then gopro, then FPV. I want to get it flying and get confident before I throw too much on it.

Once again, thank you all very much.

So far any problem that I've had has been operator error. I've only had mine 4 weeks now and I'm still learning.

P.S. Just got the ARRIS CM2000 gimbal. So far I'm impressed. Easy to install.

You want regret getting a Phantom. The only issue I have is I now want something larger but I did the right thing in getting a Phantom. It will teach you and do a great deal of cool things.

E

I am one of the people who have had ussues with FLyaways, etc.

I don't regret the phantom purchase.

If I had it to do again, and I have some skill in RC, I would most likely go with something like the DJI F550, with the NAZA controller and GPS. Essentially the same device, but capable of heavier equipment - camera, gimbal, etc. You will need a radio how ever.

The thing with the Phantom is it comes assembled, and is suppose to work out of the box. For the most part, that is correct. The thing is, none of us are flying it out of the box.

You can't use the GoPro mount that comes with the Phantom unless you are only going to take pictures. It is not isolated from the vibration of the blades, etc enough to do video. SO, you will end up buying at least something that isolates the camera. That's an additional $30 - $800 depending on what you choose.

Many of us have changed to a different propeller, and we have learned to balance the propellers. That is key to getting good control and reducing vibration. You can add another $30 - $100 for those.

These gimbals, well they are not designed to work with the landing gear that comes with the phantom. So, you will look at either something that extends the gear, or buying new landing gear or even more extreme options.

I'm not trying to dissuade you. What I am saying is, if you have some skills and the desire to build your own, you might be better off with something larger like the F550, landing gear, better battery, better props, and an inexpensive radio. It will cost the same amount.

Having said all that, I just ordered new ESC's and motor for my Phantom because one is damaged or is worn out. So, I didn't take my own advice and order something larger, which I am still considering.

Darren

CameraGuy.

I have no doubt that the Phantom will simply be the start of this hobby for me. Once I get accustomed to it, I plan on building a kit, probably 450 or 550 with my son. I want to do that piece by piece. I do plan on working with something with a better payload. But I believe in starting with a good platform, something I won't be disappointed with. I hope the Phantom is that platform. I am not looking for professional photography. I will definitely be looming into some form of gimbal, probably a cheap one at first. I will also be buying a set if props, and prop guards when I get the phantom.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I've taken a look at that one, the idea fly, and I was pretty close to pre-ordering a blade 350qx. But as I am with all hobbies, if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right. I'm not saying that any of these quads are bad, I just want the best.

I just got mine in today!!! And I freaking love it!
Kinda nervous when it goes that high... But I had no problems!

Just looking forward on learning more and getting better to produce really kick *** aerial footage! ;)

Don't think about it anymore.

I think it's great that you want to get this to share with your son. I started my son's interest in r/c very young, the
oldest was 4 at the time. It was so funny watching him run behind the thing holding the radio. :lol:

At this time, I believe the DJI Naza controller, (the unit's brain) is more advanced, and capable than any other on the
market, except for DJI's own Wookong system.

I used to be a locksmith, and at the company I worked for, I was the one doing all the jobs that had anything to do
with electronics. This could be anything from a stand alone programmable lock, to a full blown proprietary access
control system. One thing they all had in common, was bugs in the software/firmware, especially in a new product.
None of them would admit to it, until they came out with a revision update. That didn't mean weren't high end
products, because I would only quote, and install the best available. I didn't want to keep going back to fix things
for free, just because they were cheap.

Anyway, the point is, although DJI is definitely having issues, I believe they will overcome them, and overall, your
ownership experience will be more rewarding.

Will I need to hook this up to the computer and update to what seems to be a troubled 3.16, immediately in order to get IOC

NCHoytArcher said:
Will I need to hook this up to the computer and update to what seems to be a troubled 3.16, immediately in order to get IOC

Should not need too. As long you have the earlier software.

E

Very cool. I can see where the IOC could get someone out of a pinch. I see where people are having trouble with the update process. If I do have to update for IOC, I will probably just wait, and practice. I don't plan on leaving an area the size of a football field until I get all the flight modes, especially manual, down. My poor NanoQX might not make it until I get the Phantom.

I've been thinking of buying a quad for a while I ordered a phantom on Saturday and it arrived yesterday I didn't have a chanced to fly it properly until today and I have to say it's epic I'm really glad I went for the phantom. The flight and guidance modes are great. I have the ioc off I can see how some people might find this useful but having driven rc cars I didn't have any orientation issues flying. I would definitely recommend it.

This is my first ever rc aircraft and I was up and flying in seconds and it flew great. I think I need t save some more though I need a good fpv system and possibly a go-pro. Can anyone tell me if any of the fpv systems have a battery monitor so I know when to fly it back :)

The lights on the Phantom are pretty easy to follow and if you watch the videos from DJI on youtube they explain exactly how to set the Phantom up and what the lights mean. he only this I would say is that if the back of the unit it not facing you it's not always obvious when it turns red for a low battery, as for flying this quad is so simple its scary how easy it is to fly.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl