Newbie. Phantom or not?

I am going to pick up a set of prop guards when I get the Phantom. I think I am going to paint the back pair to match the LEDs. I don't plan on having the guards on long but that will help with orientation until I decide to go through the upgrade process and turn IOC on.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I also opted for the prop guards and I got some extra props you get two sets in the box but they're cheap enough I also got a spare battery. Flying this morning I don't really think that I need the prop guards but I'll leave them on for now as I'm flying around in a public place and it's safer I think but after just todays flight I don't think it'll be long before I take them off. It's an awesome machine and when in GPS mode its super easy to fly even with the IOC set to off (I haven't tried he IOC on tbh I doubt you would need it).

I bought my Phantom at the end of May and have completed hundreds of successful flights since. I have a GoPro Hero3 Black camera and usually use the intervalometer (shoots 1 picture every 10 seconds) to shoot 12 MP still pictures of outstanding quality. I recently bought a FPV system which I use to more efficiently orient the Phantom and camera. Virtually all of my usage of the Phantom/GoPro system is to support my geological engineering work- it now goes with me on virtually every assignment.

I custom made a simple attachment system to keep the GoPro better centred and able to be mounted further out to avoid getting the struts into the picture, and to also allow vertical pictures to be taken; here is a picture:

NuJE5bp.jpg

The system consists of an extender made with two simple strips of plastic (circled) cut out of a plaster spatula and mounted using two plastic screws (arrows); works fabulously well and also seems to greatly cut down on the jello effect when I occasionally shoot video.

That's pretty slick. I will be getting a gopro around December. Until then I've got an old droid I plan on attaching to the stock gimbal (if the stock part is actually called a gimbal). Until then its going to be a lot of practice flying. Once I get the gopro, FPV will follow very shortly.

Here's an example picture taken just today. This is the Coquihalla Highway, which is the main freeway between Vancouver and Kamloops, B.C. and passes through some very severe avalanche terrain.

I'm doing a presentation here shortly on snow avalanche issues related to engineering endeavours and wanted to get a good picture of what a typical avalanche slide path looks like in summer; I think the results speak for themselves.

tg5vVjnl.jpg

I have a Transport Canada permit to operate my system, and am careful to live by the conditions imposed. So far, I have had no fly aways or other problems- but am very careful not to launch unless I have a solid GPS Home position and am fully able to control the Phantom. I have installed prop guards and keep them on all the time because of the type of terrain I fly in- I think they have a minimal effect on flight characteristics and weight, so why not just use them (they have saved my bacon several times when I've inadvertently flown into trees, usually while practicing something). Since I'm often in bush, I usually launch and retrieve the Phantom from my hand- I find it really easy to do that and it never fails to impress onlookers.

The more I read about this thing the worse it looks. I guess I just need to stop researching and buy it or not when the time comes. Why doesn't anyone start a "My Phantom works fine, no problems, no issues, no flyaways" thread?

NCHoytArcher said:
The more I read about this thing the worse it looks. I guess I just need to stop researching and buy it or not when the time comes. Why doesn't anyone start a "My Phantom works fine, no problems, no issues, no flyaways" thread?

"My Phantom works fine, no problems, no issues, no flyaways!

There I said it. :lol:

NCHoytArcher said:
Haha. OK, sold.

Its in the shop now getting a Zinmuse and upgraded board. First time in the shop.

You will be fine! Just remember, take it slow for a few flights and after that, take it slow :roll:

NCHoytArcher said:
Are you in Atlanta Hobby?

Yep. I'm not there but the Phantom is. Heading up tomorrow to pick it up.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Great shop, great people. I was there Saturday picking up my NanoQX. Incredible workshop in the back.

My Phantom's working fine also :) I was trying to film it today on my phone which wasn't going to well so I thought I'd turn the transmitter off and film it flying back on it's own and it did it perfectly :)

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Its crazy how much negativity there is towards these things. Its a shame. I would hate to see the community that uses the Phantom, push future Phantom owners away. I am quite prone to reading to many of the negative posts, as opposed to the good. I really want this thing at this point. If it wasn't for the beginning of a school year, when I'm now putting 2 kids in private school, I'd be flying one, not over analyzing my choice. Thanks for the info and input guys. This is a great forum. Glad I joined.

You will not regret making a Phantom purchase. Just don't expect too much, or get disappointed if something breaks.
It's all part of R/C, no matter if it's a boat, car, monster truck, airplane, etc. The manufactures build them with the
basics, and the aftermarket is where you find the stuff you think it should have come with. The secret, is finding the
perfect balance between stock, and excess, where the frame can't handle the mods.

You are bound to get bitten by the "bug", and so will your kids. Research each additional component, and weigh the
benefit, verses the negative, which is reduced flight time due to the added weight, and power consumption.

With the Phantom, especially with the kids flying it at first, you will do well with the prop guards, but don't add that
$400 GoPro just yet.

The Phantom will be a great "beginner" platform. You are getting into it fairly early, and soon there will undoubtedly
be many, many choices of quad rotor machines with enclosed shell designs. The technology, options, reliability will
become better, not only by competitors, but by DJI as well.

Oh the bug has bitten, and it bit a guy who doesn't fool around with his hobbies. I know exactly what I'm getting as far as the Phantom is concerned. It will be the first. Me and my son will begin building a 450 or 550 before too long. But, I like the Phantom for what it is, tight, compact, and, to a limited extent, upgradable. If I can get a gopro and fpv on it, I'll be happy. No need for a gimbal that cost more than the bird itself just yet. That will be for the next one. This will be a great learning tool for us. Something to get us into the hobby. There are some fairly inexpensive options for kits we can build for him. The storm drone looks pretty good. Maybe a 330 kit with a simple board. Lots of avenues to go with. But for now, we will get the Phantom, and spend lots of time practicing. I'm actually thinking about getting him an MQX when I go buy the phantom. It will be a bigger than nano size quad he can fly outside with me.

I'm really looking forward to this. I used to race R/C cars back in the Team Associated orange aluminum tub RC10 days. My son has always been into RC cars and the cheap Walmart style helis. It was actually him asking for another one of those that got me into this now. Amazon - helis - hey what is this quad copter thing - minipet - YouTube - quadcopter - WHOA!!!!!!!!!!. Read that chain with the sound of THE BUG coming in for a big bite. Now, two minipets, a NanoQX and a Phantom incoming. We spend our nights annoying his big sister with the buzzing of two quadcopters flying around. I have kept him on the minipet. Near indestructible, cheap, and forcing him to learn manual flight. I run obstacle courses around the house with the Nano in manual. I have learned that knowing how to fly the Phantom in manual is an absolute must.

So, very long story short, I'm ready. I won't lie and say that these forums, and some of the horror stories in them, won't make me second guess my Blade vs Phantom choice over and over. But the advice, and input from the experienced guys and gals who have not had issues helps a lot. I will over read, over analyze, over think, and stress thus decision until I walk out of Atlanta Hobby with that white box in my hands. That's just me.

Thanks again.

Hello everyone,I am about to purchase a phantom,and I was wondering if someone out there could steer me in the right direction.Where is the best place to buy the Phantom and accessories. I was looking at amazon,which I have purchased a ton of stuff with the one click ordering.And never had a problem so far.

Stanleyd said:
Hello everyone,I am about to purchase a phantom,and I was wondering if someone out there could steer me in the right direction.Where is the best place to buy the Phantom and accessories. I was looking at amazon,which I have purchased a ton of stuff with the one click ordering.And never had a problem so far.
I would suggest a certified DJI dealer. You will get support, warranty if applicable and questions answered. Any where else, buyer beware. Pricing should be the same everywhere.

My 2 cents.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1