Newbie. Phantom or not?

CameraGuy.

You just said 3 days ago that you didn't regret your decision to buy a Phantom. Why the change? I've seen your post all over this forum. Your opinion changes quite often. What has changed your mind in 3 days.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

CameraGuy has suffered through some serious disappointments recently, and probably makes it difficult to remember
the good times.

If you talk to someone who has been through a divorce, have you once heard them speak of the great love they once shared ?

Audaciter said:
CameraGuy has suffered through some serious disappointments recently, and probably makes it difficult to remember
the good times.

If you talk to someone who has been through a divorce, have you once heard them speak of the great love they once shared ?
Much wisdom you have grasshopper.
E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes, I am down about My Phantom right now.

It just really angers me when I read about FlyAway's and how DJI does nothing.

In the past 3 days, I have read about half a dozen more, and then I get to read someone's comment as that its always Pilot Error, or they don't exist......

Sorry. I guess when I am feeling that way I should refrain from posting.

When the one I have- well the one that I still fly goes away, I won't buy another. I'll do the Walkera, or the blade or a roll my own. I'm just trying to figure out how much more money than the Phantom I'll loose next time. Brushless gimbals, another gopro. At least I've switched back to the original radio, so I won't loose an expensive receiver/telementry set up.

D

At least I've switched back to the original radio, so I won't loose an expensive receiver/telementry set up.

I think the original radio is one of the prime factors in a real fly away situation. The PPM (pulse,pulse,modulation), radio
system is small, cheap to manufacture, easy to put on a tiny pc board.
But it is very susceptible to multipath interference, as well as interference from other electronics sharing its bandwidth.
Quite often the interference is unrecoverable. I have read that flying directly above yourself is absolutely the
riskiest maneuver with these radios.

I believe aftermarket radios, are the way to go, especially when equipped with dual antennas.

I can't say anything about other radios, but I have the Futaba T8J, it came with a small, easy to mount receiver, with
2 antennas. Everything works perfectly, there are many youtube tutorials explaining programming, and knock on wood,
never had so much as a glitch from it.

The Phantom is available without a radio system, and if you think you will have other r/c multirotors, airplanes, or helicopters,
in the future, an aftermarket programmable radio is a good choice.
The T8J is capable of being used for 20 models.

CameraGuy,
I can't blame you for voicing your frustrations. I guess my issue with the post is kind of selfish, you are adding to my frustrations. I have two ways in which to approach my decision. 1) stop reading these forums. This choice just doesn't seem wise. I am looking for as much info and input as I can get. 2) Ignore users such as yourself who are steering me in an opposite direction. I have been told by dealers, and users without problems, that I will be fine. Pay attention to the LEDs, take my time, practice, learn manual. I have a serious decision to make. I am looking at dropping some serious money into this hobby. While I value the input I am getting on thus forum, and a well known other forum, I do need to keep all factors in mind. How many people are using this quad, without issue, that are not on either forum? That is a big question. How many problems are being created and not admitted by the user? (Note to ALL reading this post. I mean ABSOLUTELY no one specifically by that question. Don't take it that way, and don't react to it that way. I've seen enough useless bickering.) I take no real offense to your post. I'm just a guy who is looking to do the right thing with his cash. This is a hobby that one wrong move will completely destroy the hobby for me, my son, and my wallet.

Now that I think about it there is a third option. Buy a different quad. There are a lot of them out there, or coming. Will I get the same performance, and stability out if them is the big question. There are videos, and user based reviews on a couple. The other quad getting most of my consideration, the Blade, is not really on the market yet, and the videos I've seen don't show the stability of the Phantom.

NCHoytArcher said:
CameraGuy,
I can't blame you for voicing your frustrations. I guess my issue with the post is kind of selfish, you are adding to my frustrations. I have two ways in which to approach my decision. 1) stop reading these forums. This choice just doesn't seem wise. I am looking for as much info and input as I can get. 2) Ignore users such as yourself who are steering me in an opposite direction. I have been told by dealers, and users without problems, that I will be fine. Pay attention to the LEDs, take my time, practice, learn manual. I have a serious decision to make. I am looking at dropping some serious money into this hobby. While I value the input I am getting on thus forum, and a well known other forum, I do need to keep all factors in mind. How many people are using this quad, without issue, that are not on either forum? That is a big question. How many problems are being created and not admitted by the user? (Note to ALL reading this post. I mean ABSOLUTELY no one specifically by that question. Don't take it that way, and don't react to it that way. I've seen enough useless bickering.) I take no real offense to your post. I'm just a guy who is looking to do the right thing with his cash. This is a hobby that one wrong move will completely destroy the hobby for me, my son, and my wallet.

You are welcome, encouraged and recommended to ignore my posts.

If the majority of your decision making will be based on the opinions of others, please, please ignore mine.

I'm pissed with DJI. I'm unhappy for the users who have reported flyaways, and also for the ones who didn't that they lost THOUSANDS of dollars. Someone started a thread asking what you have spent. Well, my number is over $4K right now, about $1.8K more than I wanted to spend as I had to replace a phantom, gimbal, GoPro Black, 32GB memory card, battery and a $100 set of props.

I'm sorry I responded. I shouldn't have. I'm sure your Phantom purchase will be all that you dream it will be. There are just a few of us unlucky ones.....

I trust that makes this better.

Darren

I honestly don't intend on stirring the pot here. In the overall scope of history with this product, and those who have used it, my opinion is meaningless. Rightfully so. I can, and will admit that. I am not trying to deny that people have lost money, or try to deny the pain and anger from that loss. I'm just looking to maximize my investment while minimizing risk. I'm a business minded guy. Its the only smart path for me.

NCHoytArcher said:
I honestly don't intend on stirring the pot here. In the overall scope of history with this product, and those who have used it, my opinion is meaningless. Rightfully so. I can, and will admit that. I am not trying to deny that people have lost money, or try to deny the pain and anger from that loss. I'm just looking to maximize my investment while minimizing risk. I'm a business minded guy. Its the only smart path for me.

Not suggesting that you are trying to stir the pot. Least of my thoughts.

Look, if you are looking at it from a business point of view, it's a risky venture at best. Like many have said, anytime you push that throttle, there is as good a chance as any that this thing is gone. Call it pilot error, call it a DJI flyaway, call it bad luck, call it what ever you like.

Is there a single unit you can buy that will guarantee success. NOPE, NADA, not that I am aware of. if you find one, and it's affordable, the money is in my pocket ready to spend. Happy to spend it.

It's about confidence I think, and if you are in my position, I may have lost my confidence in DJI and the NAZA system, and most likely will move along to the Walkera, or the Blade in the fall.

There are thousands of happy DJI users. I'm sure you will have fun.

D

p.s. My girlfriend keeps telling me toget a model railroad. She figures I could have a great one for the $4K I've spent, and is fond of telling me the train ALWAYS comes back!.

hi im gerard alcober from the philippines i have been flying the phantom since january and did save my money for the zenmuse h32d carbonfiberprop go pro hero3.. and did the upgrade for the zenmuse to work did the default config. gps compass calibration i study it so hard just to perfect my flight coz 1mistake the money i save so hard will come to nothing i wanted to be the one here in the philippines that files and produce good vids from phantom yesterday as i fly my phantom at 1st it flys great on my 2nd flight it flys away and did not get the control of it the battery on my tx is new,,and i did try to failsafe still no response, there is something so wrong with ur firmware
i was so hurt coz thinking that upgrading the firmware will give me more stability and control on your product. hope you can do something about this i love dji phantom..let us all get together and mail dji for this the money i save for this is no joke i work hard for it...

let us all get together and mail dji for this the money

I truly do not believe tactics like this are likely to be successful, at all.

If you have had a problem with your DJI product, then begin with the dealer who took your money. If you feel your case
is being handled unfairly by the dealer, then proceed to call or write to DJI Innovations, directly, and plead your case
to them.

Please do come to the forum with the results of your experience, whether positive, or negative, and feel free to either
praise DJI to the high heavens, or moan and groan, whichever the case may be.

But do not come here expecting us to form some vigilante group, hell bent on forcing DJI to give you money.
We have zero facts involving your particular case. We did not personally witness this fly away happen, and cannot attest to
the validity of your word.

Additionally, add-ons to the basic Phantom kit, especially those not created by DJI, were installed either by you, or for you,
and done so at your own risk. DJI did not put a gun to anyone's head, and make them install a $400 GoPro black edition.

Sure it may be designed to hold it underneath, but that is not a license guaranteeing complete compatibility.
DJI states specifically, that the wifi is NOT compatible. That tells you all you need to know right there.

My words are not here to hurt anyone's feelings, and I apologize if I have. It's just my personal opinion, and not necessarily
the view shared by others.

[Edit] For CameraGuy; none of the above was directed at you. You were able to realize the fight was your own.

Specifically for "Killthe5pairs" I just watched the video you posted on youtube of your last flight. It seems your
Phantom wasn't lost at all.

I wonder how long you thought it would stay up on one battery ? You must have disabled the battery protection system,
because it was at 10 minutes, 30 seconds, when you hit that tower, or scaffolding, or whatever that was.

You are lucky it didn't kill anyone on the ground.

I would not recommend another Phantom for you. It helps if you are smarter than the device you are using. :roll:

Audaciter said:
Specifically for "Killthe5pairs" I just watched the video you posted on youtube of your last flight. It seems your
Phantom wasn't lost at all.

I wonder how long you thought it would stay up on one battery ? You must have disabled the battery protection system,
because it was at 10 minutes, 30 seconds, when you hit that tower, or scaffolding, or whatever that was.

You are lucky it didn't kill anyone on the ground.

I would not recommend another Phantom for you. It helps if you are smarter than the device you are using. :roll:
Don't be so hard on him. He can fly a kite.

Edit; I'm sorry, that was rude.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: New to Phantom in LA

i just moved to los angeles and was wondering if there are any groups or places to meetup, learn to fly, etc. i'm close to west hollywood, but have car, will travel.

also, recommendations on locations it's good to fly.

This is the kite I was talking about.

Capable of speeds exceeding 70 mph.

Attachments

• Supersonic-Blue-Black-Mylar.jpg
    Supersonic-Blue-Black-Mylar.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 850
So my only question at this point, if um buying a Phantom in late September, do I wait for the vision? How much more will the vision cost?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik