newbee - prop gaurds or no prop gaurds

Reaction score
that is the question, I just got my P2V and installed the prop guards, my thinking is a "just in case", but I am doing a lot of reading and the consciences seems to be that the prop guards do more harm than good. besides, my unit came with like 4 extra sets of propellers.

thoughts?

while I am learning to fly (bust out in Pink Floyd song) im sure that's been done before.. anyway, I only went about 30ft, and followed the instruction in the book. im not going to do anything to drastic until I get comfortable.

As you said... just for beginners lower flight training.... more away your phantom will become inestable and wooble too.

I vote no, they're more trouble than what they're worth. If you're like me, you'll treat your $1000+ quad a little differently and with more TLC than you would your Syma X1 starter. Besides, messing up the guard screws with the originals is a quick way to ruin a motor. I know. :/

I would recommend not using them. Just my opinion.

I would use them for your first few flights.

These guys seem to have all been flying for a little while and may have forgotten what the first month is like. I tipped over a couple of times, and I would definitely have destroyed my props. You'll want them especially if you are landing on any uneven terrain. I just started catching mine, now that I have taken off the guards, but you won't feel comfortable doing that for a few flights. After that, you'll get used to the feel of your new buddy, and then you shouldn't need them. Just remember to use the original short screws that you removed from your motors when you take off the prop guards. If you use the long screws that come with the guards without them on, they will go into the motors and destroy them.

Oh, and yes, they do alter flight characteristics very very slightly. This doesn't matter though, since you will be flying in GPS/Phantom mode at first. You will still find that it is very stable, and the new software patch helps to prevent a loss of lift when descending. Just make sure you do update your firmware by following the video on their website.

I just started flying mine today. I have the prop guards installed, and they saved my props several times. Once my comfort level increases, I'll be removing them.

YES, and make sure the string is on there as well.

But you should only use them for 3 scenarios:
- learning to fly when you don't know what you're doing.
- flying around people.
- flying around objects. If you start to fly around trees and practice your depth perception, you should have them on.

However, aside from this you should not use prop guards. They're light but they're in a bad spot. They will cut your flying time about 1:30-2 minutes. And more importantly, if you fly aggressively they will cause instability.

Prop guards are made for specific scenarios, and you should have them on when you need them on. But otherwise you should not be flying with them.

Hey great, this is advice I can use. Good question, Mtsoule.
I had ordered the prop guards, but never thought about the impact on flying behavior.
So thanks once again.
Lykle

I would advise any new flyer not to use them. Tipping over and smashing up a few sets of props is all part of learning. Props are easy and cheap to replace. Learning to hand catch will stop tip overs when landing and you shiuld never tip over on take off when giving full throttle. Prop guards contribute to vortex ring state which will smash you phantom to pieces, much more costly than replacing a few props. The advice of using prop guards when flying close to people is absurd because you should never be flying close to people. Us guys that have been flying a while say no to prop guards for good reason, nothing to do with our memory span ye whipper snapper ;)

I will give you a beginner view as to why you should use them. I have flown about 10 times. I have prop guards with the front two painted red and left the rear two white. If for no other reason the red front has really helped by allowing me to quickly orient myself to front should I practice my turns. They make me safer as a beginner. It is also helping my kids understand flight because we can all tell the front without having to stair at the small Iphone. Until I get more comfortable, I'm keeping them on and staying below 250 feet. In 10 flights, I've never hit anything, but I truly believe my beginner skills are improving because I can quickly determine front. My small opinion.

Prop guards were designed to make you spend more money. Search, search, search, and I guarantee you will see they are more trouble than what they're worth. What does it do? Protect your props. Ok, if I bust a prop, that's $15. Nearly every newb that has prop guards will experience VRS and when they do, you more likely to destroy more than just the props.

I have yet to experience VRS, with over 40 flights with guards. VRS is so difficult to replicate that no one I have seen actually try to get it to happen has been able to. Prop guards are ket for beginners. It's not just about busting a prop. If you hit something without a guard, you're probably going to crash, break a gimble or worse. With a guard, you'll bounce off (assuming you're not going full speed). Just use them until you feel you are ready not to.

It was suggested in a prior post to search and see how vrs has broken so many Phantoms, well I did and I did not find any. But I think it as been determined that true VRS is directly related to the weight of the aircraft. I am sure there are studies done for full size both single and double proped helicopters. I don't think any testing has been done for quads, or any hobby craft. It does seem that some people have strong feelings about this subject and I would guess that they experienced bad performance using prop guards, otherwise I would not understand the posts. I used them and until I learned how to catch my quad I wanted them. No matter how careful I was it would tip over when landing. And I still go to full throttle to take off using prop guards or not. (so that's my nickels worth (2 cents plus inflation))

Wedeliver said:
. I used them and until I learned how to catch my quad I wanted them. No matter how careful I was it would tip over when landing. )

How do you shut down the motors when you catch it?

I use prop guards - I have 9" DJI Phantom 2 props and the guards are cut out of flat fiberglass. Very thin, light and narrow, so I think the effect on performance are less than the other prop guards.

My FC40 had occasionally tipped when landing, but has also tipped on takeoff. Once it traveled about 10 feet along the ground until it hit tall weeds. I have no idea why it did it. I have moved my camera mount back so the GoPro is at or near the center of gravity, so it isn't front heavy..

I have prop guards on my Phantom 1 and have no problem. I don't use them because I'm afraid I'll crash into something. I use then because the phantom loves to tip over when landing in grass or uneven surfaces and that just chews up the props. . I do had catch most of the time. I didn't use the string. I figured it could get snagged easier in branches. The guards also give the quad a larger profile to see. I put some of the red supplied stickers on the front guards.

darwin-t said:
How do you shut down the motors when you catch it?

I bring it to a hover just above my head level and use one hand to firmly grip the leg and push the throttle stick down and to the inside (right) corner and the motors shut down in about a 1/2 second.

My vote is YES.

No problems with mine although I mostly hover and gentle flying to photograph.

There is the safety angle to consider as well and they do save props. from getting bashed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl