newbee - prop gaurds or no prop gaurds

dirkclod said:
Whoss if you feel comfortable with them on do by all means use them. I use mine at times and did today after reading this topic all over again . I flew hard and did every turn as fast as it would go and went up fast and down fast . I did all but just crash it on purpose just to see what would happen ! Yes it did wobble some and flew a little different than without them . I DO NOT say you should do as I did and by all means do not, but all I am seeing is folks telling new folks in this is NO,NO,NO don't use them. BS ! I tried my best to not get in this again but I truly believe if you feel better with them on then You bought it do as you feel comfortable. I know these other folks have flown more than me and have experienced way more than me and am not saying you want go out tomorrow and hit the ground with them on just read all the other post on these things as they are here and make up your own mind. These things are a blast to fly and this is a great place to learn stuff as there some very smart people here but all I see in this post is negative and had to say something .When you ask something and get a response you look at how many post's they have and say hey they been here a while and know their stuff and that might be true or maybe not ! Folks you know I cut up on here and do not want to offend no one or get anything started but I had to say something on this as I just don't agree that guards are so terrible. Sorry for the rant whoss I just had to have my say. Enjoy your flying,be safe and just take some of this you read with a grain of salt. Just IMHO

edited for spelling

Couldn't agree more. Good posting.

I have used prop guards from day 1. Never flew without them on. They saved a few props during first few days when taking off and landing. Rocky terrain here in desert. Once I learned to take off under full power and land without tipping, I really didn't need them.

After installing pinwheel antenna that hang below landing gear I started hand catching during landings. For take offs I rest bird on my carry case with cover off. Antenna and landing gear are actually inside of case. Take offs must be under full power and straight up. Works ok but could be a little scary if windy.

Today I installed a Drone-Mod tracker on bird. Weighs 58 grams. To counter the additional weight I took off prop guards. Weighs 75 grams. First time flying without guards. Wow, toke off much quicker and very stable. No more prop guards for me. lol.

This past week I had 3 hard landings with tip overs and broke 3 props. This is with the guards on. First time crashes since I started flying quads 6 months ago. All pilot error. During hard landing guards bend up and hit props. If you are hand catching be very careful in windy conditions.

I have owned for over 2 weeks now and haven't flown with them one single time. I even bought the quick release kit for them, making them super easy to take on and off and still......havent used them once. The guards and quick release kit is for sale if anyone wants it.

Using a prop guard while you learn is a good idea, since you are probably flying low and slow. It is also a good idea while you learn to hand catch. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers