prop guard quick release ? yes or no

Reaction score
so not trying to revive a common thread but...

Which prop gaurds have you used for phantom pro 3 that work well?

any quick release ones ?

I am looking for specific links to buy. I recently bought some online that were so small... blades looked like they were going to hit prop guard. i i got scared and never used them. they felt cheap and weak...

I don't usually use prop guards but wanted to do some dangerous filming through small spaces and if i could have extra protection to help with small bump crashes it might be nice. Also probably good to have if ever filming friends etc closely.

so who has bought some high quality prop guards and still has the link ?

To bad someone doesn't come up with a prop guard that has all 7 screw holes in the end of the arm and seconds as support to cure the cracking issue.

Ahem! Ahem 3d printer wizards!

I don't usually use prop guards but wanted to do some dangerous filming through small spaces and if i could have extra protection to help with small bump crashes it might be nice. Also probably good to have if ever filming friends etc closely.

If you're filming in small spaces, why don't you just do that holding the P3 and speed up the video in post if needed. No chance of damage then

I have the ones from summitlink but I don't use them. I don't like that they show up when i am moving forward and that I can't get the P3 to fit in GPC case even when the prop guards have been removed.

I have the ones from summitlink but I don't use them. I don't like that they show up when i am moving forward and that I can't get the P3 to fit in GPC case even when the prop guards have been removed.

i just ordered a GPC backpack limited edition.... ugh... yea i don't want the prop guards in the shot either. torn if should i order or not.

I bought these. I liked them because they only required 2 screws per guard (use the holes closest to the edge of the arm). Not sure how sturdy the are compared to the DJI ones. The only time I bumped something was a brick wall and they protected the Phantom. However, the very tips of the props were scuffed up a little bit. As mentioned above, they do add some with and I had to trim a little foam from my GPC case to make it fit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V5QDIPW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Summitlink on Amazon.com, I have the orange and black ones they work fine.
I bought the Summitlink as well but have not installed yet. I'm concerned that when I do get a case that this will obstruct the case and I'm also wondering if I will ever have an occasion to need the prop guards as well. So far I haven't. The only thing I can think of is if I'm flying indoors or around people for filming purposes. So I'm a bit conflicted.

The summitlink removable guards, the base should not obstruct with the case. Mine with the base unit screwed on it still fits in the shipping box from DJI.
Guards are great if you are flying close to objects or around people.

The two nice things about removable prop guards is you can make the choice each time you go to fly whether to use them, and you can still fit the quad into most cases. I just replaced a backpack carry case with a hard case I picked up from Hobby King during their 48-hour free shipping promotion for $40 delivered from China. I can now store the quad with the props on, but I still have to take the prop guards off.

I use the Summitlink prop guards on my Phantom 1.1.1, but also own a set of the Bestem removables. The Summitlink are a little bit larger and more robust with thicker plastic AND a better locking system and use 4 screws to hold them on. But the part that stays connected to the Phantom is larger too and makes it harder to fit the quad into a case (unless the foam is forgiving).

The Bestem ones are smaller and thinner, but the locking mechanism is smaller as well and would be less likely to interfere with placing the quad in a case. Both would do the job expected of a prop guard well enough.

I had purchased and installed the Summitlink prop guards on my Phantom and had actually bought the Bestem prop guard later to go on a CX-20 ( which doesn't work, the CX-20 isn't flat enough on the underside of the motor mounts to mount it properly).

You can get both removable prop guards for MUCH cheaper on eBay! I paid $20 each for both (Summitlink had a sale and the Bestem were always $20 at the time).

BTW- the difference between the Bestem Phantom 1 & 2 prop guards and the Phantom 3 version is they supply a set of longer screws for the P3 package.

I recently got these ones. They seem very sturdy and snap in secure and also use all 4 screw holes.
I have noticed a bit of a loss in flight time with them on. All and all I like them so far.

eBay

Hello all,

I really appreciate all the info on this thread. I am about to purchase some of the summit prop guards but had a concern. I have read reviews and info where it says that if we're looking to remove quick release prop guards, and fly without them, that we should always replace the OEM screws as they are shorter and the longer ones will damage the motors indefinitely. So my question would be, can you fly with the prop guards removed but quick release device still attached with the longer screws? Or do you always have to fly with prop guards and must replace screws before deciding to fly without.

Thanks

Hello all,

I really appreciate all the info on this thread. I am about to purchase some of the summit prop guards but had a concern. I have read reviews and info where it says that if we're looking to remove quick release prop guards, and fly without them, that we should always replace the OEM screws as they are shorter and the longer ones will damage the motors indefinitely. So my question would be, can you fly with the prop guards removed but quick release device still attached with the longer screws? Or do you always have to fly with prop guards and must replace screws before deciding to fly without.

Thanks

The info about being sure to use the original shorter screws on removal of the mounts is quite correct.

Yes, you can fly with the mounts left on. I have never removed my prop guard mounts as I feel it helps spread the stresses a bit, thus reducing the risk of developing shell cracks. For the same reason, do not overtighten the screws on the prop guard mounts.

The info about being sure to use the original shorter screws on removal of the mounts is quite correct.

Yes, you can fly with the mounts left on. I have never removed my prop guard mounts as I feel it helps spread the stresses a bit, thus reducing the risk of developing shell cracks. For the same reason, do not overtighten the screws on the prop guard mounts.

Thanks for the valuable insight!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.