New P3 World Record 8.065 miles

What's a normal lifespan of a stock battery, and how much shorter do you think the abused ones are getting? By adding the battery mod, are you still really needing to go that deep into the original internal batteries?
If your flying the way some of us do, if you have extra minutes/ % yer gonna use it up

Any suggestions on a brandname and model number, and perhaps a link for where to purchase the necessary two chargers for the antenna booster battery for the modded transmitter, and the external 1300's on the battery mod?
If your after boosters you cant go past Sunhans I have two of these on the way Sunhans SH-2500 2500mW 11B/G/N triple frequency wireless WiFi Signal Booster and to run them I ordered 1 of these nice and flat you can velcro it under the R/C Protable Power DC 12V 4000mAh Super Large Capacity Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
You will need a Y connector for it to run both the boosters ....you can get that at any electronics store.As for the lipo chargers take your pic Chargers & Accessories>Battery Charger (AC & DC)

Any suggestions on a brandname and model number, and perhaps a link for where to purchase the necessary two chargers for the antenna booster battery for the modded transmitter, and the external 1300's on the battery mod?
I don't have anything fancy I have an Ultra Power 120 I got from amazon for the lipos. I have a bunch of batteries from FPVLR so I already had the chargers for the booster batteries.

That sounds good!

Is this how you are connecting the additional 2 packs?
CONNECTION.jpg

Add 2 x 1300 packs in parallel to the stock 4480 pack means your total capacity becomes 7080mAh or 7.080 Ah

A 10C discharge rate means you theoretically may draw 70.80Amps continuous without ruining your batteries.

The Log files from the DJI Pilot app, with extension .TXT logs the Amps (after converting to csv here DJI Log Converter) indicates the max amp draw on a stock P3P is around 18 Amps when climbing vertically (that's where you draw the max Amps) as can be seen on a screenshot in Dashware (unfortunately HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters only shows cell voltage variance. Hope they will include Amps some time).
AMPS.JPG

All that to say even 10c 4S 1300mAh packs should be more than enough.
But it would be great if someone with the battery mod posts their logged txt file to check the max amp draw .

Yeha finished the mod took a little effort but nothing to challenging prolly took an hour or so next one will be much easier and better of-course.How did you go with the log files?

Yeha finished the mod took a little effort but nothing to challenging prolly took an hour or so next one will be much easier and better of-course.How did you go with the log files?
Can you show some pics of you doing the mod? I'd really like to try myself. Soldering I suppose?

I don't have anything fancy I have an Ultra Power 120 I got from amazon for the lipos. I have a bunch of batteries from FPVLR so I already had the chargers for the booster batteries.
Thanks. At $121, no wonder they don't include the charger with the 1300`s!
I discovered the booster battery came with its own charger. It was at the bottom of my shipping box, under all the pink styrofoam peanuts! God, I hate those! They make such a mess, and you have to remove every last one to make sure the box is empty!:eek:

If your after boosters you cant go past Sunhans I have two of these on the way Sunhans SH-2500 2500mW 11B/G/N triple frequency wireless WiFi Signal Booster and to run them I ordered 1 of these nice and flat you can velcro it under the R/C Protable Power DC 12V 4000mAh Super Large Capacity Rechargeable Li-ion Battery
You will need a Y connector for it to run both the boosters ....you can get that at any electronics store.As for the lipo chargers take your pic Chargers & Accessories>Battery Charger (AC & DC)
Thanks for all the tips, info, and links! :cool:

This is How FPVLR is doing it!
Crazy long run times
We don't drill any holes!
Hardware and battery holders and labor 199$ then you add your own battery packs form Hobbyking (10-15$ each)

Is this mod lighter than (2)1300 lipos??
It looks like you use lighter wire also!
U know we want to be wow'ed with some numbers!!

This is How FPVLR is doing it!
Crazy long run times
We don't drill any holes!
Hardware and battery holders and labor 199$ then you add your own battery packs form Hobbyking (10-15$ each)
Is the internal DJI battery used first, or the externals, or are all three used simultaneously, such that if there is a battery failure (say on one of the untested less vetted externals), the rest of the batteries simply take over? What charger do you recommend for the external batteries? Advantages of this aircraft mod over the DJI modded batteries? Is this available now? Which HobbyKing batteries provide the optimal additional run time, without adding too much additional weight, resulting in diminishing returns?

If your flying the way some of us do, if you have extra minutes/ % yer gonna use it up
I'm finding that to be true! :eek: Why waste it...You are already in the air. Must be something interesting to shoot on the way back, as you get closer to home!:cool:

Can you show some pics of you doing the mod? I'd really like to try myself. Soldering I suppose?
I'll take some detailed pics when I mod my next battery am just having trouble finding a suitable mount for the duel batteries.

of course all three batteries are going to be used, with 1500 4s on each side we are seeing 30 minutes.
Wow 30 minutes? I only get 23 minutes with dual 1300 4s attached. How'd you do that?

On a different note, FPVLR (or others), what kind of Amps draw are you seeing with more batteries attached? I use 1300 mAhs Nano-tech 25-50C.

Wit the help from Luap from this forum, we did a log file analysis, and this is the result. Mind you, the bird flies great, also with the attached batteries, but Luap has some doubts about this.

You will note the amps increase where I wrote 1,2,3,4,5.

That's where my altitude increased. But at point 4, where I increased your my to 500m and reached the max altitude set in the Pilot App (according to logged file), my Amps should be way higher than what is showing on the Amps graph. Something is wrong in the logging file I think. What do you think?

My total flight time is 22:14 minutes, I landed with 9% battery left. All this is from the csv file.

Max Amp is 22.07. Average Amp draw is 10.10 - this average appears too low as well. Possibly because of the error at point 4??

Voltage graph after 20 minutes is below 14V with a dip at 13.8v due to increase in altitude at point 5. The Amps graph after 18 minutes also rises continuously.

It would appear I am at the limits of the battery from around 20 minutes. Would be interesting to see the Amp draw if I had increased altitude substantially at around that time (probably not any good for your batteries).

Capture.JPG

of course all three batteries are going to be used, with 1500 4s on each side we are seeing 30 minutes.
We tried also some Lithium Ion 3400 on each side and it was a FAIL as the discharge curve is too different compared to the stock battery and LIthium start working when the the stock one is close to being depleted.
A bit more testing before we find the sweet spot with the perfect cell/weight/power density combo.
Please keep us posted! We all need more hang time! Balancing the extra weight with the extra juice is the key to the sweet spot. I need these yesterday! :D

Wow 30 minutes? I only get 23 minutes with dual 1300 4s attached. How'd you do that?
I'd like to know, too!

For comparison, how many minutes are you getting out of the stock battery without the dual 1300 4s attached?

If they are only flying straight out and back as far as they can go, with no hovering time, that's one way to get max flight time. Hovering in place for photography burns lots of battery power, especially when carrying extra weight from the extra batteries. I need the extra battery power to have extra time for photography when I reach my long distance destination, instead of having to immediately turn around and head for home!

For comparison, how many minutes are you getting out of the stock battery without the dual 1300 4s attached?
18 minutes, max, with stock battery. 23 minutes with dual 4s 1300.
And I see little difference between hovering the whole time or flying all over the place.
I just got 1800 4s'es which I'll try soon.

Wh
I'd like to know, too!

If they are only flying straight out and back as far as they can go, with no hovering time, that's one way to get max flight time. Hovering in place for photography burns lots of battery power, especially when carrying extra weight from the extra batteries. I need the extra battery power to have extra time for photography when I reach my long distance destination, instead of having to immediately turn around and head for home!

Why don't you drive closer to your destination & you will have more time to do your photography ;)

I'll get my coat...

Yes,
there are different types of Lipo cells, and your graph is accurate, as voltage decreases Amp draw has to increase. Like I said there are different kinds of lipo cells and the higher the C-Rating the heavier they generally are. A 15C battery would be sufficient for our task and probably give us the best results.
Also propeller can be optimized as the stock props are bending a bit much with the extra weight. Also if you keep your phantom moving like in doing wide figure 8s you will probably see more efficiency due to having less spikes because of the gyro corrections of the motors.
Thanks Tony.
You get 30 minutes with these batteries? Can you give us some specs? I was happy with my 23 minutes, but 30 - wow!
And how would you optimize props? You mean by balancing them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akinproplumbing