New P3 World Record 8.065 miles

We are getting 26-27 minutes hover time and 30-31 straight line flight times, but my stock battery is pretty bad and only gives me 15 minutes.
What batteries do you use for 30 minutes?

I did some more testing with my modded batteries for P3P.
Firmware 1.1.9 - DJI Go 2.3 - iPad mini 4 - iOS 9.1
10% auto-land, no SD, hover 0.5m, P-GPS
DJI Carbon props
Completely stock, only added Flytrex device.

Stock battery: 16:42
Zippy 1800 25-35C: 20:17 (weight 178 g. each)
Nano-Tech 1800 25-50C: 22:22 (weight 197 g. each)
Nano-Tech 1300 25-50C: 22:30 (weight 145 g. each)
[1300s were tested a few days ago with standard props]

It's quite odd the heavier 1800 (Nano-tech) get 2 minutes more than the lighter Zippy. The Nano-tech is more expensive and said to be better quality, but I still find it odd.
All batteries were new; used 1-3 times. Stock battery used 15 times.

When recharging the Nano-tech 1800s, they were down to 14.35V.
When recharging the Zippy 1800s, they were only down to 14.80V.
Don't know what this means, but it's quite odd isn't it.

I'll be testing some 1500 and 1600 batteries soon.

Also, I only had 2 stock batteries modded, so of course there might be small differences between both, although they work both fine.

I really would like to know how Tony can get 30 minutes or even 26-27 minutes hover time. I'd like to replicate! :)

And honestly, maybe a bird mod is better than a battery mod. I now have 2 modded batteries, and it's a pain I can't do more than 2 "modded" flights in a row.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fanti
I really would like to know how Tony can get 30 minutes or even 26-27 minutes hover time. I'd like to replicate! :)

And honestly, maybe a bird mod is better than a battery mod. I now have 2 modded batteries, and it's a pain I can't do more than 2 "modded" flights in a row.
Just mod two more batteries for continuous back to back flying!:cool:
If you mod the bird, you lose the full mod cost with the bird. If you mod the battery and lose the bird, you only lose the battery mod cost, as you need a new battery anyway. With the battery mod, you save the extra weight of the cables, if you fly with unmodded batteries. Plus, with more than one battery mod, you can be making modded flights the same day you replace the lost bird--- no additional shipping and return time to get the mod done to the replacement bird. Transmitter mod also is never lost, so that's also a great long term investment!

We are getting 26-27 minutes hover time and 30-31 straight line flight times, but my stock battery is pretty bad and only gives me 15 minutes.
Is that based upon depletion to 0%, 10%, or 20% of remaining battery power upon landing?

In Canada I will do the battery mods for inspire and for p3. Either to the battery or to the drone. I'll update the site tomorrow but droneshopcanada.ca I've gone with mount you put on the side of the legs so you don't have to remove landing gear every time you want to put your drone in a case.

I get you cant use 3 cell lipos to mod the p3 (p3 is 4cell)! But can i use the same 1300 4s lipos to mod my p2? Or do i have to use 3s bats?

Last edited:
I get you cant use 3 cell lipos to mod the p3 (p3 is 4cell)! But can i use the same 1300 4s lipos to mod my p2? Or do i have to use 3s bats?
You can use 4s batteries on the p2 I actually have the modified cap that MaxAmps makes it has a balancing tap on it where you plug in the 4s lipos it essentially tricks your p2 into thinking it's a 3s battery.

Not that big a deal..............Just make sure you use a good quality 40 watt soldering iron. The solder is a little higher temp than the radio shack variety. I like the 18650 idea! I read a few articles that they are lighter for the power than normal LiPo's. I have a charger tester for them that shows the actual capacity by cycling thru a few charge/discharge routines. Chinese 18650 capacity ratings are all over the board! Known manufactures like Panasonic are usually on the money.
20160220_142218_resized.jpg

Last edited:
Not that big a deal..............Just make sure you use a good quality 40 watt soldering iron. The solder is a little higher temp than the radio shack variety. I like the 18650 idea! I read a few article that they are lighter for the power than normal LiPo's. I have a charger tester for them that shows the actual capacity by cycling thru a few charge/discharge routines. Chinese 18650 capacity ratings are all over the board! Known manufactures like Panasonic are usually on the money.
View attachment 46209
The problem with 18650s is they are low discharge rate. Not enough to sustain a Phantom. I remember seeing a video where someone tried it. It basically took off but slowly descended like when auto landing.

Edit: here's the vid

The problem with 18650s is they are low discharge rate. Not enough to sustain a Phantom. I remember seeing a video where someone tried it. It basically took off but slowly descended like when auto landing.

Edit: here's the vid
Couldn't see the batteries? Was that a Phantom 1?

I believe it was a P2. I had to check my YouTube history to find it but it was linked in an article I read.

Reactions: WTFOver
That's pretty cool. I like the setup he made with the batteries in the tube frame and the low noise, low power rig.
Wouldn't it be nice if DJI could make the Phantom a little quieter? I know my P3 is better than my P2 at that. People tend to look up and wonder where that swarm of bees are! If they didn't hear it they wouldn't even know its there. Less attention is better.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1