New Flytrex Goodies

Dirty Bird said:
anchorkee said:
That's kind of weird. Their customer service is quite good as compared to others. Have you tried emailing them? I got my confirmation within 6 hours and shipped within 24 hours from the time I ordered. As for the delivery, Israel to Singapore took around 2 weeks! That's kind of long but I'm loving the flytrex core II. I kind of regretted not getting the live version but oh well the telemetry on Dashware was fun to play with!

Ok you ordered the Core 2. I had no problems at all when I ordered the Core 2, but this is for the Live which still seems to be in short supply. I emailed them this past Monday and got the same spiel they've been laying for the previous two weeks: "Shipping by the end of the week.: Here we are at the end of ANOTHER week and still not shipped.

For what it's worth...
July 23rd - Received an email that my Flytrex LIVE was on the way.
August 1st - Delivered.
Installed and testing now.

Gr8Chef said:
Dirty Bird said:
anchorkee said:
That's kind of weird. Their customer service is quite good as compared to others. Have you tried emailing them? I got my confirmation within 6 hours and shipped within 24 hours from the time I ordered. As for the delivery, Israel to Singapore took around 2 weeks! That's kind of long but I'm loving the flytrex core II. I kind of regretted not getting the live version but oh well the telemetry on Dashware was fun to play with!

Ok you ordered the Core 2. I had no problems at all when I ordered the Core 2, but this is for the Live which still seems to be in short supply. I emailed them this past Monday and got the same spiel they've been laying for the previous two weeks: "Shipping by the end of the week.: Here we are at the end of ANOTHER week and still not shipped.

For what it's worth...
August 1st - Delivered.
awesome! I will feel much better about doing my long distance test flights with an additional tracker. Between this, my Marco Polo, and Find My Phantom, I should be alright... and love the ability to show a live mission to friends.

Gr8Chef said:
For what it's worth...
August 1st - Delivered.

When did you order your Live? I ordered mine on July 10th. Still nothing...

Dirty Bird said:
Gr8Chef said:
For what it's worth...
August 1st - Delivered.

When did you order your Live? I ordered mine on July 10th. Still nothing...

For what it's worth...
Order placed - Jul 9, 2014 22:45:42 EDT
August 1st - Delivered (South Georgia, USA)
Installed and currently testing.

I have had my Flytrex Live Tracker installed a week now. As much as......well, I'm going to wait a little longer before giving a report.

I ordered mine 10 July with expedited shipping and they said it would ship this week.. translation... it still hasn't shipped. and might see it next week at best..

I've been using the Flytrex live for a little over a week now. I first tried using it with AT&T. In my area the 2G coverage from AT&T is pretty sparse. I found a coverage map that was helpful.
http://opensignal.com/
I have since switched over to T-mobile which has more 2G coverage in my area. That being said 2G coverage in my area is still a bit thin.

My intents for the Flytrex live are that it would provide me what the Flytrex Core 2 provides, live, and it would replace the need for another GPS tracker for emergency loss. My other thought is that it would provide me telemetry when I was out of range for FPV, control or even Datalink for GS sorties.

What I have found is that often mine will not connect and start a new mission (green flashing LED on the live) unless my bird is in the air most of the time. This is a bit annoying as it create errors in elevation when exporting KML's and it must be adjusted for is Dashware to have the elevation be accurate although on the Flytrex website it appears accurately.

One misconception I had about the live is that I read somewhere that it may have a couple seconds of lag but it would always cache the GPS recordings so they would be transmitted later. This is not true I have had flights where the signal dropped for more than a minute and the data from that time is lost. This is an issue for me because it erodes the value of the live as an emergency locator.

The other annoyance I have with the Flytrex live is that once a mission is complete it disappears from the live web site and doesn't reappear as a completed mission for 20-30 minutes. Again if it was an emergency this would be a problem. This I hope they will fix with better servers and software on the server side.

So overall its pretty slick when it works but definitely has its short comings. I hope Flytex goes back to the drawing board and creates a 3G or better 4G/LTE module because the coverage would be much better in the US. I'm also hoping Flytrex can improve the firmware on the live so that it can cache the GPS data when signal is lost.

The Flytrex live has a USB port on it and I also read somewhere that the data could be extracted from it however I have seen no software tools to do so. Again the data doesn't seem to be cached currently.

DronePilot said:
So overall its pretty slick when it works but definitely has its short comings. I hope Flytex goes back to the drawing board and creates a 3G or better 4G/LTE module because the coverage would be much better in the US. I'm also hoping Flytrex can improve the firmware on the live so that it can cache the GPS data when signal is lost.

I am curious why they just didn't make the Live 3G/4G compatible right out of the box with the older 2G/Edge networks being somewhat obsolete?

hopefully future firmware updates can resolve some of these issues without having to purchase another newer model later... time will tell... still no tracking number for me...

DronePilot said:
I've been using the Flytrex live for a little over a week now. I first tried using it with AT&T. In my area the 2G coverage from AT&T is pretty sparse. I found a coverage map that was helpful.
http://opensignal.com/
I have since switched over to T-mobile which has more 2G coverage in my area. That being said 2G coverage in my area is still a bit thin.

My intents for the Flytrex live are that it would provide me what the Flytrex Core 2 provides, live, and it would replace the need for another GPS tracker for emergency loss. My other thought is that it would provide me telemetry when I was out of range for FPV, control or even Datalink for GS sorties.

What I have found is that often mine will not connect and start a new mission (green flashing LED on the live) unless my bird is in the air most of the time. This is a bit annoying as it create errors in elevation when exporting KML's and it must be adjusted for is Dashware to have the elevation be accurate although on the Flytrex website it appears accurately.

One misconception I had about the live is that I read somewhere that it may have a couple seconds of lag but it would always cache the GPS recordings so they would be transmitted later. This is not true I have had flights where the signal dropped for more than a minute and the data from that time is lost. This is an issue for me because it erodes the value of the live as an emergency locator.

The other annoyance I have with the Flytrex live is that once a mission is complete it disappears from the live web site and doesn't reappear as a completed mission for 20-30 minutes. Again if it was an emergency this would be a problem. This I hope they will fix with better servers and software on the server side.

The Flytrex live has a USB port on it and I also read somewhere that the data could be extracted from it however I have seen no software tools to do so. Again the data doesn't seem to be cached currently.

I agree, recordings not starting until in the air. Also yes it is supposed to cache when no signal is available and then send when it is available again. I guess they have some bug fixing to do.

I like the live but it is another case of a company getting too excited and rushing out hardware before everything else is in place to properly support it and then getting caught up in trying to fulfil the hardware and then not having enough time to fix the service.

The website regarding live integration is pretty appalling (non existent).

Dirty Bird said:
DronePilot said:

I am curious why they just didn't make the Live 3G/4G compatible right out of the box with the older 2G/Edge networks being somewhat obsolete?

In lots of the rest of the world those networks are still very much live and kicking (sometimes the only thing available), I guess it was a decision to reduce costs by not making two variants for different markets?

Pull_Up said:
In lots of the rest of the world those networks are still very much live and kicking (sometimes the only thing available), I guess it was a decision to reduce costs by not making two variants for different markets?

I believe most 4G/3G devices are backwards compatible with 2G/Edge networks. Sometimes when I am in the sticks I will notice my 4G cell will have a 2G connection. Don't try to surf the web when it is either! :)

Dirty Bird said:
I've been hearing "shipping by the end of the week" for the past four weeks now. Its getting a little old...

DB patience is a virtue. I know the urge your having, it will ship when the time is there.

GfFlyer said:
Where is the best source to order the core 2 ?

After reading this thread this is my thoughts exactly. I think a core 2 and Marco polo is what I need.

Not to mention if DJI ever gets off their butt and gets is telemetry overlay I wont feed bad about taking the $49 core 2 off !

I am sure the Flytrex Live is the hot deal. Just not sure I want to sign up with T-Mobile and deal with a company that doesn't respond in a timely manner.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl