New Flytrex Goodies

Thanks Simon! great intro. I just ordered mine. Looks like I'll soon have a cheap Core 2 for someone here to purchase.. ;) Flytrex informed me that they will give a $30 discount for the Flytrex Live to anyone who purchased a Core 2 within the last 3 months!! That's more than fair!

The Live is working well for me here in California on T-Mobile. Here's a flight from yesterday:

http://www.flytrex.com/mission/quadcopt ... ver-48782/

I had the Core 1 previously and the actual data collected by the Live seems to be just as good or better, but it's nice to not have to hassle with a SD card and uploading and it is very nice to have the "Last Seen" feature. I haven't had a flyaway, but this gives my more confidence for sure.

When I'm flying, this page shows a live, public (my choice) view, including battery voltage: http://www.flytrex.com/nathan.hoover/live/
I tested it using a second phone and it works great.

$10/mo seems like a fair price. On T-Mobile if you ever did use up the whole 1GB in a month, they scale back to 2G speed which is all the Live uses anyway, so the plan is really unlimited. The only pain with T-Mobile is that since you can't receive texts on the Live, you have to do stuff like activation and creating your account etc over the phone rather than online. I have another SIM card that works out to under $7/mo and everything works online but don't have the Live working on that one yet.

I did one firmware update and it was quick and easy, over the air, and controlled by a page on my flytrex account.

Installation does require soldering the power and ground wires, but beyond that it's simple. I have it mounted externally so I can see the LED. The green flashing is bright enough that you can see it while flying overhead and you know it's transmitting. Here's a photo.

Attachments

• 20140710_095446.jpg
    20140710_095446.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 374
Pull_Up said:
Unless it's lost at sea...
haha.. i do love your sense of humor... well perhaps i should also equip those flotation devices to the skids and then I could still track it.. ;)

Mori55 said:
So seriously , how many tracking do you need at onetime? Everyone was bitching if these trackers didn't have gps, now flytrex has one without gps just cellular and it's fine. What if your in a bad cell area ? What if you lose phantom power and it crashes out of sight in a bad cell area ?

Just ordered the Live!, and it just might get here before my Traxx that I ordered over TWO MONTHS ago!!! :twisted:

In a roundabout way, the Flytrex Live does have GPS...the one built into the Phantom. It connects just like the Core/Core2, via the GPS connector, with the addition of soldering two leads to the Phantom's power board. As long as the Phantom is on, the Live is "live" as well, tracking the GPS, and automatically passing all the telemetry info back to your Flytrex account automatically.

Mori55 said:
So if the power shut off and you were pretty far away , say over a fields , woods , heavy brush , cornfields etc.
You would have a "general idea" with the flytrex?
Sorry I would want something that I could track while it's down .. And I really don't to want to fly around with 2 trackers , ones bad enough !

As long as the Live had cellular coverage, your Flytrex account would contain the last location received before the battery died.

Just a bit of further hot-off-the-press information for recent purchasers of the Core 2...

If you have bought a Core 2 within the last 3 months, please contact [email protected] and they will sort you out with a $30 rebate coupon against the purchase price of a Flytrex Live. They hope to automate the process soon, but until then drop them an email and their team will get that sorted for you.

Enjoy!

srandall25 said:
Thanks Simon! great intro. I just ordered mine. Looks like I'll soon have a cheap Core 2 for someone here to purchase.. ;) Flytrex informed me that they will give a $30 discount for the Flytrex Live to anyone who purchased a Core 2 within the last 3 months!! That's more than fair!

How do you go about getting the $30 discount?

Birdy.......

Just a bit of further hot-off-the-press information for recent purchasers of the Core 2...

If you have bought a Core 2 within the last 3 months, please contact [email protected] and they will sort you out with a $30 rebate coupon against the purchase price of a Flytrex Live. They hope to automate the process soon, but until then drop them an email and their team will get that sorted for you.

There you go birdy !........I too ordered a TRAX tracker about 5 weeks ago but expect they are trying to sort out initial problems, but still think it will be good whenever it does get to us !

:D

I love FlyTrex to death. I didn't see any point in going to the smaller FlyTrex 2 and I really feel no need to purchase this item. AND.. I fell pretty bad saying so. Amit has always been very forthcoming with info and has taken care of any problem that's cropped up, from what I've seen... He has given me tech support to the extent that I haven't seen in decades. I have a lot of respect for him.

I know it's probably my shortsightedness not recognizing the worth of this new offering... Could you guys please square me away on this? WTF am I missing???

-slinger

What is spinning around in my head is how Flytrex might use this technology to somehow accomplish ADS-B out. All the data is there. That could solve the next big problem for UAV.

Maybe one day it might become smaller like the Core has, which would create less of a weight and balance concern. Even better if Flytrex cold license DJI to build it in.... making everything I own instantly obsolete, of course.

Is it true that the Flytrex Core 2 doesn't track the number of satellite locks, while the Flytrex Live does? I see a picture that shows the Flytrex Live mission analyzer screen showing total number of satellites; however, they didn't advertise this as one of the mission analyzer data points... And I don't see this data point on my Flytrex Core 2

srandall25 said:
Is it true that the Flytrex Core 2 doesn't track the number of satellite locks, while the Flytrex Live does? I see a picture that shows the Flytrex Live mission analyzer screen showing total number of satellites; however, they didn't advertise this as one of the mission analyzer data points... And I don't see this data point on my Flytrex Core 2
If you export the data as a CSV file then number of satellites is a data point for sure. I have it on a number of my videos created with Dashware.

gunslinger said:
I love FlyTrex to death. I didn't see any point in going to the smaller FlyTrex 2 and I really feel no need to purchase this item. AND.. I fell pretty bad saying so. Amit has always been very forthcoming with info and has taken care of any problem that's cropped up, from what I've seen... He has given me tech support to the extent that I haven't seen in decades. I have a lot of respect for him.

I know it's probably my shortsightedness not recognizing the worth of this new offering... Could you guys please square me away on this? WTF am I missing???

-slinger

Think of it as a Core 2 that sends all it's data live, as you fly. Meaning that you can use it like a GPS tracking device in the event of losing the aircraft (except lighter and you don't have to remember to charge batteries). It also means it logs your flights automatically (no more sd card removing and uploading). If you don't have an OSD you could use the upcoming app (or phone browser now) to view your battery voltage and other data live, or at least in near-real time (the lag is surprisingly low, just a few seconds delay). Depending on your airframe it might be more or less useful to you. Certainly I'm probably going to mount mine on the P2 eventually as that's the expensive one and it doesn't have any "find my phantom" function like the Vision app has... although the Vision app only works if you're in wifi range, whereas the Flytrex Live works as long as the aircraft is powered up and there's a mobile signal. I mounted it on the Vision for testing because with the brushless motors of the gimbal and everything else it was a good test for interference, etc.

srandall25 said:
Pull_Up said:
That's very fair! Alternatively hold onto the Core for the inevitable purchase of another aircraft... ;)
Very good point... have you seen the Marco Polo? http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-trac ... -recovery/
I'm going to be mounting this baby along with the Flytrex. The ultimate in tracking technology using two different technologies, can't go wrong...

Does the polo always have that stupid dogs face in the middle of the tracker ??

pyrophantom said:
srandall25 said:
Pull_Up said:
That's very fair! Alternatively hold onto the Core for the inevitable purchase of another aircraft... ;)
Very good point... have you seen the Marco Polo? http://eurekaproducts.com/rc-model-trac ... -recovery/
I'm going to be mounting this baby along with the Flytrex. The ultimate in tracking technology using two different technologies, can't go wrong...

Does the polo always have that stupid dogs face in the middle of the tracker ??
Not on the tracker itself. The icon is on the hand held device screen that is used for tracking the device. Definitely not a deal breaker for me... lol I agree, that was a stupid decision.. I didn't even know what it was a first.. someone else had to tell me it was a dog... lol

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic