New firmware / software 7th Sep - First impressions

Ok, that was weird....v2.2 wasn't an app update at all (i.e. I don't have automatic app update turned on for app store), but just double checking on the GO app...mine was auto updated (without my selecting it), and I'm now on v2.2 and got the dialogue popup on acknowledging the firmware update

Very same thing happened to me. I wasn't planning on installing anything really today. was looking for something else on go app, set it down, came back a few mins later and the welcome screen on new app was inviting me to try all the new features!

Hope it works fine as old app obviuosly wasn't deleted first.

Yes you have to fly to the spots you want to have as a waypoint, one you're there you click record c1 and it adds the way point, once you're done you can adjust the speed and altitude while its flying the waypoints! Not exactly what I was expecting but all the new features are nice!

Noticed a "Slow SD Card" icon on my screen. Aborted the update and used a different card. Now it's doing an update with D-D-D-D and restart sounds. Much better..

Okay for Bench Testers

To Access the New Features with Props off.

Enable Multi Flight Mode
With Props off start the bird...
Goto F Mode
Pretend you taking off and lift the bird up off the Bench as if it's flying.
The Additional Options window will pop up with a few questions.
Then a blue box will pop up and ask witch option you want to use...

Go from there
All options are only Active while you are in the air hovering.
Thats all I have for now..
So if your looking for the options on the bench this will just pull up the menu but not let you do much other than that.

I have to Re Calibrate everything then I am going to take it out.
But First another cup of Coffee. :)

EDIT: You can play takeoff in P mode then go to F mode as well to see the Option menu pop up.

And Sammy your a chicken! Buck Buck Buck! :)
Is it possible to use this new features in the simulator?

Got up, took shower, got on the computer - no firmware, read email then and email that the firmware was released and sure enough.... started firmware update 7 minutes ago.

Just tried 'Point of Interest' on the Phantom Advanced using the new 2.7k resolution. Seems pretty good, just a bit scary watching the drone fly around autonomously! :D

Battery drain seems less now on the iPhone 6 Plus, not tried long enough to confirm this yet though.

Dropbox - OrbitTest.mp4

Reactions: Thomas Mead
Users may skip updating the remote controller, as the latest firmware update does not affect the remote controller

It is normal for the motor to sound or the LED to blink during the update process, as the latest firmware update will affect the motor.

The Apple App Store shows the DJI Go app as version 2.1 rather than 2.2, but when I select the app to see the details, the description says 2.2 and it describes the new Intelligent Navigation features. When I open the update, I get a screen message that Announces the new features.
The DJI website does not have a new version of the Manual to download to read so you know how to use the new features. The latest version of the Phantom 3 Manual is Version 1.4 that was released in August 18 and it does not describe the new features.

The only downloads available starting September 7 are the Release notes.

This all seems very strange.......unfortunately, typical DJI lack of communication.

Question on waypoints... what good is waypoints if you need to manually fly to those locations before you can.... fly to those locations using waypoints? Seems 100% worthless. It's like driving somewhere just so you can go back home to drive it again.

The only reason I can see where this might be used is to fly the exact same pattern twice.

Question on waypoints... what good is waypoints if you need to manually fly to those locations before you can.... fly to those locations using waypoints? Seems 100% worthless. It's like driving somewhere just so you can go back home to drive it again.

The only reason I can see where this might be used is to fly the exact same pattern twice.
It's so you can fly somewhere really quick, frame your shot, then go to the next waypoint, frame it...

Then when you activate it, the phantom will hit those framed spots smoothly rather than you trying to do it yourself.

Reactions: AndyS
Mine doesnt make any beeps but keeps telling me im a pretty boy, when in fact im an ugly bastard so i think there is definately a problem with this update!!

Reactions: blaster81
It's so you can fly somewhere really quick, frame your shot, then go to the next waypoint, frame it...

Then when you activate it, the phantom will hit those framed spots smoothly rather than you trying to do it yourself.

Okay, that makes sense. So on each waypoint I can set the direction the P3 will stop and face and then move on? If so, I can see how this would be better then prior waypoint flying.

I'm presuming it's aimed more at people who use these devices for photographic work as a living. You can go anywhere in-between the waypoints while setting them up so it's more like seeing-the-lay-of-the-land before you commit to a point on the course/circuit you want to include as a waypoint. When complete you can then make circuits worrying just about the camera.

Like you though, I did imagine just sitting there popping pins in areas i wouldn't normally venture because of obstacles that would otherwise stop me being able to see the drone.

Now the SDK is out i'm sure other app developers will start giving all sorts of choices of other ways/features the waypoints could offer.

While a bummer, the waypoint feature was actually pretty smart on their part.
1. It allows you to frame your shots
2. While I'm not sure if intentional, one can't claim "I didn't fly there it just automatically went there" no, you have to purposely preselect your spots on a first flight. Think of a prison drop...

Users may skip updating the remote controller, as the latest firmware update does not affect the remote controller.

Hey Matt
Where did you see that. It makes sense since I am not seeing a link through the app but I don't recall seeing the statement that none is needed.
Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18