New firmware Phatom 4 v 1.1.410

Well, I'll say this, this is the first time I've ever, ever not been totally happy with an update, of course after defending them. For the first time I got a compass error, only briefly (yes on a newly calibrated as it were compass, that shows/is a good calibration) it's not a deal breaker, but never saw that before. With my amps up and humming I had some noise and bad downlink at a stones throw. (Now these aren't show stoppers but shows it's not as good as it was, at least, in the LEAST, it's not better that's for sure. And then the big one!

It's raining like biatch here and so I wanted to do some test inside, I have a large open space living room ( my sisters say I need more furniture, I have two chairs and a full size sofa in here!) anyway I started it up and about 8' from front is our island, the craft because no GPS lock and just carpet was drifting backwards into my table, it wouldn't let me move side to side, stop, or especially move it forward to avoid an bad accident. The OA is way to intrusive now, I don't get it, did a quick test outside and it worked better, but I guarantee a less skilled pilot would've had a broken bird and possible injury, and possible blown up plasma TV in that room, it was close, I landed as it was still drifting, about 10" from table. I then tried it again and had to switch to ATTI to avoid same thing, it simply will not let stick control work, I can yaw about 60* to get island out of view and regain slight control, or fly above island, but at 6-8' this shouldn't be taking control of everything

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Atti mode is the only mode that's not gonna do that when OA is taking over. It needs to be addressed in an upgrade, but mine has done that from the day I bought it. It will drift and you can usually only fly in one direction when it happens which can mean a pretty quick crash if your not cool like you were here. But In Atti mode it's fine indoors. And that is what is recommended if you have to fly indoors. Some buildings you may get lucky and hook up to enough satellites to be ok. But it's gonna be iffy man.

Reactions: Sim597
Atti mode is the only mode that's not gonna do that when OA is taking over. It needs to be addressed in an upgrade, but mine has done that from the day I bought it. It will drift and you can usually only fly in one direction when it happens which can mean a pretty quick crash if your not cool like you were here. But In Atti mode it's fine indoors. And that is what is recommended if you have to fly indoors. Some buildings you may get lucky and hook up to enough satellites to be ok. But it's gonna be iffy man.
Yeah it's disconcerting for sure. I've seen similar things, but now it's just so overwhelmingly in total control. The OP that posted (not this post) about his P4 crashing into a large clock in a suburban area of his hood I'm sure this was why now, and DJI should replace it for him.

So here's the funny part, I ordered some of those quick release prop guards, not the nicer DJI ones, and not the worst ones that have the loop to put on, but have the small nob that locks them in, those for $10 and a car charger for $10 and a 1' lightning connector for $3 on eBay. Anyway I first thought, well I could put those on and see, but, as we know, those would've fixed the problem anyway as they turn off the OA, so that makes sense to use them indoors.
The problem still
Persist though, so outside you can run into this, but be up 20' vs 1 ft off ground, and not have the time, where a quick reaction atti mode switch would save you, but, you know, a lot of guys aren't pilots from RCing, and don't hail from these types of sports. Nothing against them, it's not their priority, have other hobbies or kids to raise or whatever , so what about those guys? They're supposed to just be out a phantom and $1400 because DJI did a hack job on the OA software code?
Another example of how another decent company could take all the business from DJI, if they just try, Yuneek may be on to something.

Last edited:
I have not heard of these props your talking about at all. So these props would fix this OA issue. And I have never had a problem with OA outside at all. Anytime I am flying very close to things for detail shots, I turn OA off. So you don't get the hurky jurky start stops as OA see's thing's close in it's way. I rarely rely on OA ever! Unless I'm quite a ways from my subject. And then very careful. Video lag can fool you if your going to cut if really close. LOL

Yeah it's disconcerting for sure. I've seen similar things, but now it's just so overwhelmingly in total control. The OP that posted (not this post) about his P4 crashing into a large clock in a suburban area of his hood I'm sure this was why now, and DJI should replace it for him.

Yeah, I was on that thread as well, and I loved (sarcasm) how the community came together... not to help him, but to insist it was pilot error and he was just an idiot... lol clearly he is not! :)

Yeah, I was on that thread as well, and I loved (sarcasm) how the community came together... not to help him, but to insist it was pilot error and he was just an idiot... lol clearly he is not! :)
I agree! I hadn't thought of that (well, we did mention it at the time), I know I did, I stuck up for the guy, didn't they fix it for him? I know there was at least one thread that I was surprised that DJI helped him, maybe it wasn't that one, but they should, those who were acting that way should
Apologize. I know there was confusion about his mentioning the CSC maneuver, but he hailed from RC hobby and that is an acronym for that, that crossed over, just not meaning the same thing.

Reactions: arcaine25
I have not heard of these props your talking about at all. So these props would fix this OA issue. And I have never had a problem with OA outside at all. Anytime I am flying very close to things for detail shots, I turn OA off. So you don't get the hurky jurky start stops as OA see's thing's close in it's way. I rarely rely on OA ever! Unless I'm quite a ways from my subject. And then very careful. Video lag can fool you if your going to cut if really close. LOL
I don't rely on it either but can get away with leaving it on. I'm so not comfortable with it working, I've never used TapFly for that reason.

I'm sorry I confused you, not props, but prop guards, I'll go back and fix that, lol. I guess I left that off. You know, because the guards automatically turn OA off.
I fixed the post, thanks tho for letting me know, it was confusing.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I don't rely on it either but can get away with leaving it on. I'm so not comfortable with it working, I've never used TapFly for that reason.

I'm sorry I confused you, not props, but prop guards, I'll go back and fix that, lol sorry, I guess I left that off. You know, because the guards automatically turn OA off
Agree! I have never tried tap fly at all myself. Gotcha on the prop guards too. lol

Reactions: Sim597
I agree! I hadn't thought of that (well, we did mention it at the time), I know I did, I stuck up for the guy, didn't they fix it for him? I know there was at least one thread that I was surprised that DJI helped him, maybe it wasn't that one, but they should, those who were acting that way should
Apologize. I know there was confusion about his mentioning the CSC maneuver, but he hailed from RC hobby and that is an acronym for that, that crossed over, just not meaning the same thing.

He ended up fixing it himself. He has a bent / creased shell, so he is going to have a hobby store swap it for him. But those guys still insist that he is lying because he isn't posting video of his flight log. He just quit responding because of being tired of being accused and insisting he is clueless... Gotta love keyboard commandos!

Agree! I have never tried tap fly at all myself. Gotcha on the prop guards too. lol
I've seen or read anyway, I actually can't remember where, maybe YouTube? But how TapFly has certainly wrecked a P4 or two, it's had to happen, it's totally a gimmick, afaik.
On that same type of note. I might have known but forgot, we can control gimbal by long pressing screen? The other day I noticed a weird blue like target thing under my finger when I had been holding the ZenPad up or something, and noticed it was adjusting gimbal up and down. Again something I'd rarely use, but forgot we could even do that

He ended up fixing it himself. He has a bent / creased shell, so he is going to have a hobby store swap it for him. But those guys still insist that he is lying because he isn't posting video of his flight log. He just quit responding because of being tired of being accused and insisting he is clueless... Gotta love keyboard commandos!
That's BS. Look, we all have some guys here that we don't get along with, or rub us the wrong way, or whatever. I've found usually it can be overcome with just a spec of humility and dare I say, compassion, even integrity, but I didn't like that at all. I don't blame him either, in fact, I think they should've been way more supportive, obviously you feel the same. I may look for the thread and post him a message to see how he's getting along, and maybe let him know DJI is at fault.

Couldn't find it yet, I'll look again, swore he had "clock" in the topic

I have been reading this thread for 3 days now.
is this a good idea to up date this firm ware and go app?
or should I just stay with what is on my p4 now>
thx D

I have been reading this thread for 3 days now.
is this a good idea to up date this firm ware and go app?
or should I just stay with what is on my p4 now>
thx D

Best question to start with is, are you experiencing any issues with your current setup? Weird yo yo effect, Gimbal squeak (doesn't affect performance, just annoying) or any other issues? If not, I wouldn't worry about it currently. If you are, I would... I didn't have a single issue with my update as long as I followed proper procedure.

Last edited:
I have a feeling your gonna be the "norm" and I don't have any hope at all in this update, the mere fact DJI didn't directly deal with the TiHo (tilted horizon) issue, means it's another ho-hum uninspired update that leaves all of us wanting. To see the Inspire on sale for $2,000 is nice
With the new firmware in my P4 I noticed three things:
1. The 4-8' yoyo is NOT gone, I still see the bird descend about 6' when I suddenly stop forward, sideways or reverse direction flat flight by letting go of the sticks, no input. It's easy to reproduce. My P3p never did that.
2. Using the HOLD C2 button and spin the photo wheel to tilt my horizon 5 degrees off level, I flew around for about 5min and it kept the setting. However, my horizon level has never given me a problem. This test was to see if this kind of adjustment would hold, and it did. I did not leave it set at 5 degees off, reboot and test to see if it would hold the 5 degree off level, but I have a hunch it would remember it. I would encourage pilots who are having issues with tilted horizon to try this adjustment method with the new firmware to see if it helps.
3. My range didn't change (I didn't expect any change), still about 4000-5000' LOS without surfers, and about 10,000 LOS with surfers slipped on the antennas (rural mountain area where I fly all the time). With my Inspire RC I've gone 12,000' LOS in this same area without surfers.

Last edited:
What I've noticed with the yo-yo is that at altitudes higher than used by the VPS the Phantom often still yo-yos the 4-8' but now when below the 30' where the VPS is used my Phantom starts to yo-yo but the motors rev up and it hovers with only a few inches of drop.

What I've noticed with the yo-yo is that at altitudes higher than used by the VPS the Phantom often still yo-yos the 4-8' but now when below the 30' where the VPS is used my Phantom starts to yo-yo but the motors rev up and it hovers with only a few inches of drop.

With mine I can tell that where it would normally do the 2 - 6' yo yo, it knows it's about to do it, and it will "jerk" into an altitude hold. Like it knew it was about to "yo yo". it's not a terrible "jerking" action, but you can tell it knows it's changing altitude, and stops itself.

With mine I can tell that where it would normally do the 2 - 6' yo yo, it knows it's about to do it, and it will "jerk" into an altitude hold. Like it knew it was about to "yo yo". it's not a terrible "jerking" action, but you can tell it knows it's changing altitude, and stops itself.

Exactly the same here.

Exactly the same here.

Glad it wasn't just me that got to see that. Which means DJI knows it's an issue, so that is the bandaid for now probably, until they can determine exactly why it's doing it.. It didn't do this initially with release firmware, but the one right before this one introduced the altitude hold problems. I wonder how much testing they actually do?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures