Why cant my Phantom 4 Pro v1 firmware accept RID upgrade since the V2 can

Reaction score
According to Ken Herron, RID Sept 16 deadline might be cancelled...for now. I have held off buying a RID module while waiting for a decent size and price for one. I have a Phantom 4 Pro v.1 (and a Mavic Pro v.1). So why doesn't DJI have an RID firmware upgrade for v.1 since they have it for v.2? Tried to contact DJI, but when I finally found a way to chat....it said chat is closed.
Anyone have an answer?

According to Ken Herron, RID Sept 16 deadline might be cancelled...for now. I have held off buying a RID module while waiting for a decent size and price for one. I have a Phantom 4 Pro v.1 (and a Mavic Pro v.1). So why doesn't DJI have an RID firmware upgrade for v.1 since they have it for v.2? Tried to contact DJI, but when I finally found a way to chat....it said chat is closed.
Anyone have an answer?
Did I miss something? I don't think DJI has updated v2 firmware yet, has it?

That, along with many other problems might be one reason the FAA 'might' extend RID.
I of course do not know the details, but seems like if they can upgrade P4P v.2, then why not the P4P v.1?
Hopefully someone from DJI will see this and respond....

After a very long search, I found a way to send a message on DJI's site. They did respond; with a link to Ken Herron's video. They did not answer my question at all.
I again asked for an answer and they sent the link to Russ's video saying the same as Ken about a possible delay implementing RID by the FAA. They just refuse to answer my question I asked why no firmware update coming for P4P v1 since v2 will be updated with RID.

An After thought.
Here is the answer DJI sent, along with Ken Herron's video:

Thank you for your feedback. According to the FAR Part 89 Remote ID regulations, the RID compliance for American users starts from September 16, 2023. Before that, the FAA RID regulation did not affect the user’s flight activity. After September 16, 2023, please purchase a third-party RID module that complies with RID MOC and add it to the aircraft. Thank you.

I can only assume it has to do with the Light Bridge vs Ocusync technology. Many V1 owners out here (including myself) wondering the the same and wishing they would update the V1 firmware also.

Reactions: Big_Ukie
Anyone have an answer?
Where do you see a V2 is compatible?

DJI stated the P4P v2 will have RID firmware coming.
Go here, but subject to change:

With 3 P4P v1's, I can only hope for a firmware RID update but otherwise, waiting for an inexpensive add-on. Surprised DJI didn't offer one themselves for retail dealers. They own the market.

With 3 P4P v1's, I can only hope for a firmware RID update but otherwise, waiting for an inexpensive add-on. Surprised DJI didn't offer one themselves for retail dealers. They own the market.
I really expected to see DJI produce RID modules as well. I still suspect they will.

I agree. DJI could produce a small inexpensive RID. Look at what they have done with drones!
The average cost of a RID module is around $250. And...they are backordered for months.
Hope the info is correct that they will postpone the Sept 16 date. I will be grounded if not.

Capt KO, If you are FAA Part 107 you will need 3 modules. If Rec, only one and switch to the next drone.

In my previous post from 9/3, I stated DJI responded, but did not answer my question as to why they will have a firmware update to include RID on the P4P v2, but not v1. I asked why since they are 'similar'. Their last reply stated they are sending my question to the 'appropriate' people. As of 9/14 they have yet to actually answer my question.

Reactions: Rob Levine
It is now Sept 27 and still have not received an answer from DJI about why my P4Pv1 cannot be upgraded for RID like the P4Pv2 will.
Today I ordered the Drone Tag Mini for $218 from Adorama. It's backordered...big surprise. Says expect to arrive 12/31/9999. Interesting!
Since I also have a Mavic Pro v1, will still need an RID even if my P4Pv1 could be upgraded.
I can switch modules since I'm Recreational. I'm an FAA Part 61 Commercial Pilot, but not FAA Part 107. Too many restrictions under 107.

It is now Sept 27 and still have not received an answer from DJI about why my P4Pv1 cannot be upgraded for RID like the P4Pv2 will.
Today I ordered the Drone Tag Mini for $218 from Adorama. It's backordered...big surprise. Says expect to arrive 12/31/9999. Interesting!
Since I also have a Mavic Pro v1, will still need an RID even if my P4Pv1 could be upgraded.
I can switch modules since I'm Recreational. I'm an FAA Part 61 Commercial Pilot, but not FAA Part 107. Too many restrictions under 107.
Yes, it would seem there has been time for your message to make it to the 'appropriate' people. Let all us V1 owners know if/when you hear back. Is the a link to the thread on the DJI forum?

Yes, it would seem there has been time for your message to make it to the 'appropriate' people. Let all us V1 owners know if/when you hear back. Is the a link to the thread on the DJI forum?
If I hear I will post here. Where in Ky? I'm originally from N. Ky

Nice...born in Walton, then to Richwood. After EKU, off to the Navy as a pilot for 18 yrs. Promoted out of flight status/pay in Reserves, so flew with the IL Army National Guard for 12 yrs. Retired in '96

Nice...born in Walton, then to Richwood. After EKU, off to the Navy as a pilot for 18 yrs. Promoted out of flight status/pay in Reserves, so flew with the IL Army National Guard for 12 yrs. Retired in '96
Similar paths. Gary,IN. Purdue for ATP & A&P. Flew corporate jets out of LUK for the past 25 years

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl