Nassau county cops giving me hard time about drone....

Thats esentence my point all this stuff going on in the world and this cops worried about a toy drone. And as far as spelling most people type from there cell phone. All this crazy stuff going on on the world and your worried about some spelling errors. obviously you dont have much to worry about.
I have to admit, I get a little annoyed at bad spelling, sentence structure, and punctuation. The idea of the written word is for someone else to understand. Sure....blame your phone for predictive text. Have you ever heard of the concept of proof reading? I always reread my posts and still can make some mistakes. Some obviously don't even try to make sure their posts are correct. They just post. Then again, maybe they're too stupid to realize any faults in their posts or just don't care. Yeah, let's always blame our phones, computers, etc. for our lack of properly constructing a meaningful sentence. I shouldn't need a Captain Midnight decoder ring to figure out what you are trying to say. I have wondered if the site does this to the posts because of all the mistakes. I really don't think it does. I have passed over so many posts because I had no idea of what the hell they were talking about. We have sophisticated phones, computers, etc and the spelling and grammer is worse that it ever was in the past. For you people that are too lazy to make sense....please never respond to me if I need help. I understand some are from other countries and I can deal with that. But when you are born and raised in this country and can't even spell....give me a break. Now, if you are the village idiot , I'll cut you some slack. But please don't fly. I'm sure the manual has you totally confused. It's like another language.

Last edited:
my grandfather is a lifelong RC plane enthusiast in Centerport and has basically given up flying, he just builds them now. All of his old flight areas are gone and from what he says it's impossible to fly anywhere. From what he has said LI is not an RC friendly place in general (he hates most everything about LI at this point but is too stubborn to move).
It's not the flying craft that most people are paranoid of these days, it's the cameras attached to them.

Reactions: P3 ADVANCED
The OP said "Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints".
Thank you. he had no calls at all. Actually all my neighbors love it and ask me questions about the droin. one lady wanted to buy one for her husband. guy across the street from me has a boat and wants to buy one.

I have to admit, I get a little annoyed at bad spelling, sentence structure, and punctuation. The idea of the written word is for someone else to understand. Sure....blame your phone for predictive text. Have you ever heard of the concept of proof reading? I always reread my posts and still can make some mistakes. Some obviously don't even try to make sure their posts are correct. They just post. Then again, maybe they're too stupid to realize any faults in their posts or just don't care. Yeah, let's always blame our phones, computers, etc. for our lack of properly constructing a meaningful sentence. I shouldn't need a Captain Midnight decoder ring to figure out what you are trying to say. I have wondered if the site does this to the posts because of all the mistakes. I really don't think it does. I have passed over so many posts because I had no idea of what the hell they were talking about. We have sophisticated phones, computers, etc and the spelling and grammer is worse that it ever was in the past. For you people that are too lazy to make sense....please never respond to me if I need help. I understand some are from other countries and I can deal with that. But when you are born and raised in this country and can't even spell....give me a break. Now, if you are the village idiot , I'll cut you some slack. But please don't fly. I'm sure the manual has you totally confused. It's like another language.
I cant stand people like you passive aggressive. who you telling not to fly ? I race cars for a living. And teach ice hockey. By your post and your area of location your life must be so boring sorry.

Reactions: Mike_Flys
I cant stand people like you passive aggressive. who you telling not to fly ? I race cars for a living. And teach ice hockey. By your post and your area of location your life must be so boring sorry.
monte must be having a bad day

Not directed at you pumpkin but lets get back on topic guys .
Enough bashing .
Thanks

I'm one of those people that cant spell. And I am a veteran. Yea I am an illiterate. If that is spelled rite. Any way you never know hue you may be talking to.? Now on subject ,I would not let any cop or law enforcement types take my livelihood with out a fight. Now if there is a law passed that makes it illegal to fly in my AO. [ area of operations ] Then you are screwed. But there will be no confiscation of my property with out a written recite that means I get my stuff back.
I treat Law enforcement with respect ,and they always treat me the same. I have bin asked to leave, and did so as fast as I could. I say don't invite the Man into you life.

facepalm.jpg

this thread is making my day lol

What normally happens, no one is present at their meetings when they create these ordinances to object. You have the right to be heard. Go to a meeting, take some pro drone people with you. Show them some videos/pictures you have taken with your drone.(cause unless one of these people fly drones they are going to look at you like the general public does.) sounds like you may need to educate them about the difference between a hobby and being a license professional. Chances are they don't have a clue. Someone in the meeting might have jumped up when the floor was opened for discussion and said the FAA requires a license for these. Then it became fact cause Joe blow sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

They all have review boards that can review the ordinance. As long as you can prove you are not a threat to public safety. At least they may open some fly zones in your town where you could fly.

Ding Ding Ding, We have a winner..

We need to STOP blaming these politicians for passing these overreaching, right destroying laws if we have done nothing to keep an eye on what they are doing. People are crying foul, because "politicians" did this or that, but then you find out those doing the crying have done zero, Nada, nothing in playing any part in the process. It's shameful I tell ya.. just shameful.

Reactions: Myetkt
Thats exactly my point all this stuff going on in the world and this cops worried about a toy drone. And as far as spelling most people type from there cell phone. All this crazy stuff going on on the world and your worried about some spelling errors. obviously you dont have much to worry about.

TOY ??????

Hmmm...obviously you are a mental giant

My advice, getting back on topic, is to go talk to the local police chief. Ask him what the law is and what the official policy is. Tell him about the cop that chewed on you and ask if he thinks that was proper behavior. Be civil, be polite, be reasonable and I think you'll find that the chief is too. A little communication goes a long way in smoothing things over.

TOY ??????

Hmmm...obviously you are a mental giant
It's a toy just an expensive one.

Back to the OP: I'd stay on it and go up the chain of command until you either exhaust all options or you get a resolution. But the key is going to be showing respect. If you go in there guns blazing (metaphorically of course) don't expect a positive resolution. Show respect and courtesy and you might get some positive results.

I plan on visiting a small island in the Carolinas later this year and I'm taking my Phantom. Before I fly it, I'll ask the local PD if there's a problem with me doing so. If they say I can't, I'll cuss them like they've never heard because that will ensure that they look favorably on me during the week or two I'm there (KIDDING! If they say no, I won't fly it but I WILL ask them if they know where I can fly it and invite them to come along - who knows? Maybe one of them will catch the Phantom bug!) My only bad experience with the police was years ago. I got stopped for speeding (don't know how I didn't see the police car in the lane RIGHT NEXT TO ME). He pulled me over and even pulled his gun on me! He did this after a quick glance around my van and seeing what looked like a .45 in it. It was a rusty BB gun that I'd forgotten was in the van. I'd been using it as a water gun (which didn't work well and hence the rust). The officer seemed like a real jerk to me, BUT I was polite, answered his questions and did everything he asked. I showed him respect even though he was being a jerk. Looking back, I would have done everything he did. He'd pulled over a long-haired hippy in a van who was probably stoned (what sober person would do 55 in a 35 mph zone with a cop next to him and no other traffic?) I got out and he looked in the van and saw a "weapon". How did he know I didn't have another gun I was getting ready to whip out and challenge him to a gunfight? He didn't know and he did what he was trained to do to protect himself. Because I wasn't argumentative, combative, OR stoned, he only wrote me a ticket for an expired tag. Had I been a belligerant "I know my rights" kind of guy, I would probably have gotten a speeding ticket AND been arrested for carrying a concealed weapon ( I had no permit to carry). I think because of MY attitude and MY understanding of why he was doing what he was doing, he relaxed a bit. By the time the 6 backups left, his attitude was much nicer. In fact, we ended up talking, laughing, and telling jokes for another 20 minutes. I thanked him and as he walked back to his car, his rotating blue lights stopped rotating but stayed on. He rapped them a time or two with his flashlight and they rotated another half turn or so, then refused to budge another inch. He grinned at me and shrugged, got back in his car, turned them off, waved at me and left, heading in the direction of the station. All in all, a good ending for both of us. My motto if stopped is "be polite, show them the respect their uniform deserves, comply with their requests and we all go home safely." If a given cop is a jerk anyway, so be it. He has to take that attitude home, I don't.

In addition, I wouldn't do their job if the starting pay was $250,000/yr. I couldn't deal with the constant danger OR the multitudes of riff-raff, dirtbags, and ne'er-do-wells that they deal with EVERY day.

... But the key is going to be showing respect. If you go in there guns blazing (metaphorically of course) don't expect a positive resolution. Show respect and courtesy and you might get some positive results.

That's always worked better for me. People would be amazed how much better that works. My first lesson in that was when I was in the hospital, headed to surgery. I was freezing in the skimpy, erotic hospital gown I had on. I asked the nurse if I could get a blanket. She curtly said "No, the rules said only the gown". I said "OK, thank you anyway" (and NOT sarcastically). A few minutes later she brought me a blanket and told me to keep my mouth shut about her transgression. I agreed and she was the best nurse I had during my 3 day stay.

Will it work EVERY time, guaranteed? No, but it works MOST of the time. The second key is to be sincere. Lastly, remember that EVERYONE, including me, likes to feel important. If you respect them it shows them they're important in your eyes and you get much better results, BUT you MUST be sincere. People will read right through it if you're not.

Can someone please help me down off this soapbox now?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl