Nassau county cops giving me hard time about drone....

Reaction score
Went in front of my house on long island just for a test flight. when i fly in front of my house i usually just go straight up and take some pics. Before i took off here comes the cops speeding down the block. Asked me for license to fly the droin said i dont have one. but i registered with the FAA. Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints. Tole be they just passed a bill in nassau county were you need a license. so i goggled it and it only says suffolk county. that nassau is trying to make the illegal with out a license. dont these cops worry about real crimes ? was kind of in shock.

I would be making some phone calls

I never get hassled by LE here in Suffolk County. I do not fly my neighborhood though. Nothing but trouble doing that. I don't fly my own property because it doesn't offer anything for flying. I have kept a low profile in my neighborhood. There's plenty of wide open places to fly. Actually it's been a long time since I just went out to fly around for the sake of flying. I always fly with a purpose and a litchi flight. If I'm gonna fly, I'm gonna get good video or it isn't worth it to me anymore. Wintertime is actually great for flying here. The colder it is the more alone you are out there.

local Govmnt cannot overrule FAA regulations about being licensed... but I agree with M1shooter. my in laws live in NY, beautiful country but the way the state is managed sucks.. you can't do anything without being hassled. I live in NH and you pretty much do what you want. a guy in my town lost his P3A flying it over town...The local PD put a a notice to be on the lookout on there face book page. it was found and the PD returned it with a smile. I love this state.

Your comment, "don't these cops worry about real crimes" is pretty immature for starters. When a neighbor, who most likely called to complain about your flying, requests a response by police then they have to respond. How that officer / deputy handles the issue is based on discretion and your cooperation. Trust me we don't like responding to BS calls in the first place but we can't ignore calls for service because we want to. If we did you bet Mrs. Smith, who doesn't like your flying, will be blowing up our phones demanding to file a complaint against us because we did nothing about it.

If an ordinance was passed to restrict drone flight in your area then it was passed by your elected officials that you / your parents voted in. It's not police's fault you've drawn enough attention to yourself to warrant a complaint. Take some responsibility for yourself.

Towns and counties are great.... they can have a bunch of knuckle heads who have the abilities to make regulations. They can be totally clueless but because people like them, they all of a sudden have this power. You then have _some_ police officers who think they can harass people who are doing things that they don't personally agree with. Nothing but an abuse of power. What I would do if I were you... I'd set up a meeting with the police chief in your area and have a sit down to discuss that officers abuse of power. If you don't, they will just continue to harass you and others. I'd also make it a point to attend any meetings when they discuss (illegal and otherwise) laws against drones in your area.

Ah, good old Suffolk County... where they make regulations even when they _know_ they are illegal and for illegal purposes. They tried to make that law against taking photos with a drone. I can't say they listened to me personally but I did send emails to everyone on that board and pointed out that they could not regulate airspace and could not violate the 1st Amendment. All of a sudden they changed the wording as not to make it illegal to take photos... just fly drones (they still ignored the FAA issue). However, they did not even bother to remove the objection to photos from the explanation of the regulation. So _clearly_ the intent of the regulation is still not to allow people to obtain photos from a drone. They don't even try to hide that fact.

Few things piss me off more then idiots who thing they can regulate people with illegal laws. Especially when no harm is being done. They don't like something... make a law against it. What they are _really_ doing is making a law just so they can bully people. Gee, OP... sound familiar? No one would prosecute you for flying but these illegal laws give the police the ability to _threaten_ you into not flying.

Reactions: P3 ADVANCED
Your comment, "don't these cops worry about real crimes" is pretty immature for starters. When a neighbor, who most likely called to complain about your flying, requests a response by police then they have to respond. How that officer / deputy handles the issue is based on discretion and your cooperation. Trust me we don't like responding to BS calls in the first place but we can't ignore calls for service because we want to. If we did you bet Mrs. Smith, who doesn't like your flying, will be blowing up our phones demanding to file a complaint against us because we did nothing about it.

If an ordinance was passed to restrict drone flight in your area then it was passed by your elected officials that you / your parents voted in. It's not police's fault you've drawn enough attention to yourself to warrant a complaint. Take some responsibility for yourself.

The cop threatening to steal the drone is pretty immature- pure intimidation.

I have no information on the way the officer / deputy handled the incident because I wasn't there but I'm guessing if a citation was or could have been warranted the rules of evidence would apply. My guess is if you got such a reaction from the official right off the bat you gave him some lip or you've been spoken to before about the same issue. ( There are of course [unscrupulous] cops out there but generally speaking they want to do there job and get out ) Of course you'll deny that but whatever. That's why I love body cameras.

The word "stealing" and maintaining an object of evidence are something you need to learn. In most towns where an ordinance is passed limiting drone flight a simple photograph of the drone will suffice. In other municipalities corporation council or the states attorney's office may request the collection of the drone till prosecution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no information on the way the officer / deputy handled the incident because I wasn't there but I'm guessing if a citation was or could have been warranted the rules of evidence would apply. My guess is if you got such a reaction from the official right off the bat you gave him some lip.

Giving a police officer lip is not illegal. They can't threaten you with illegal action for mouthing off. They treat people like subhuman trash and then are surprised that some people mouth off. This is their job, they don't get to go alpha on people because they're mad. Police have incredibly thin shells, if they perceive that you are being even slightly resistant they lose their cool.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to live in a country where I have to be afraid of being abused by a cop because I argued with them.

Giving a police officer lip is not illegal. They can't threaten you with illegal action for mouthing off. They treat people like subhuman trash and then are surprised that some people mouth off. This is their job, they don't get to go alpha on people because they're mad. Police have incredibly thin shells, if they perceive that you are being even slightly resistant they lose their cool.

No matter what I say I can tell you're anti-cop. I get that. I can't say I blame people with the way some officers act but I have to remind you not all officers are like that.

You're right, giving an officer lip isn't illegal but if you're already in violation of even a minor ordinance violation why start the conversation on the wrong foot especially if he/she approaches with the intent of just educating you of the local restrictions.

The advice I give to ever new officer starting with our department is simple. Pretend you're not wearing the uniform and communicate with people like a regular person. Put the authority you have aside, listen, and really communicate. You often get a better response and compliance without a need for enforcement.

No matter what I say I can tell you're anti-cop. I get that. I can't say I blame people with the way some officers act but I have to remind you not all officers are like that.

You're right, giving an officer lip isn't illegal but if you're already in violation of even a minor ordinance violation why start the conversation on the wrong foot especially if he/she approaches with the intent of just educating you of the local restrictions.

The advice I give to ever new officer starting with our department is simple. Pretend you're not wearing the uniform and communicate with people like a regular person. Put the authority you have aside, listen, and really communicate. You often get a better response and compliance without a need for enforcement.

I agree with everything you've said. I've met police that act like that, but that doesn't sound like what's happening here, and it didn't jibe with what you've previously wrote. It looks like you implied that the OP deserved to be treated that way because he must have lipped off(there's no evidence of that). I disagreed with that point.

You're right I'm anti cop, based only on my interactions with them, and not just one department. I've had interactions with police where I was treated normally, I've had interactions that have been rude and curt(everyone has a bad day), and ones that have left me humiliated and intimidated. I don't know anyone personally who hasn't felt mistreated by the police. I know you'll probably assume I must only know scumbags, but that's not true. You're coming from the perspective of a cop, you've never been on the other side of a bad cop. Just because I'm anti cop didn't mean I'm not right about the way we should be treated by the police.

I've have a situation that I'm not sure how to deal with. It's not a drone but a Honda 49cc scooter. Years ago we used to have them inspected, pay for plates, etc. Missouri passed a law saying these small scooters no longer have to be licensed. I called my local dmv to confirm this. They won't let me get plates even though I was willing to pay for the process. The local police said I can't' use scooter within city limits. I'm not sure if the city can override state law. Not sure what to do. I don't need to be given crap and ticket for something that by the dmv is not iillegal as long as I follow all traffic laws.

Reactions: P3 ADVANCED
I agree with everything you've said. I've met police that act like that, but that doesn't sound like what's happening here, and it didn't jibe with what you've previously wrote. It looks like you implied that the OP deserved to be treated that way because he must have lipped off(there's no evidence of that). I disagreed with that point.

You're right I'm anti cop, based only on my interactions with them, and not just one department. I've had interactions with police where I was treated normally, I've had interactions that have been rude and curt(everyone has a bad day), and ones that have left me humiliated and intimidated. I don't know anyone personally who hasn't felt mistreated by the police. I know you'll probably assume I must only know scumbags, but that's not true. You're coming from the perspective of a cop, you've never been on the other side of a bad cop. Just because I'm anti cop didn't mean I'm not right about the way we should be treated by the police.

I wasn't born a cop so your assumption of never being on the other side of a bad cop is wrong for starters. Being a minority didn't help while growing up either but my experiences showed me what not to be. This has given me a platform to teach others.

I've have a situation that I'm not sure how to deal with. It's not a drone but a Honda 49cc scooter. Years ago we used to have them inspected, pay for plates, etc. Missouri passed a law saying these small scooters no longer have to be licensed. I called my local dmv to confirm this. They won't let me get plates even though I was willing to pay for the process. The local police said I can't' use scooter within city limits. I'm not sure if the city can override state law. Not sure what to do. I don't need to be given crap and ticket for something that by the dmv is not iillegal as long as I follow all traffic laws.

A city can't ignore a state law but they can make it more strict if they pass a local ordinance. Just to clarify they can't make it more lenient. The most common example to this is city curfew times. Cities are known for wanting to limit the times minors are out of the house without supervision. They often cite reasons like problems with vandalism and loitering.

In your case they have classified your scooter as a motorized vehicle which has been restricted on public property. You can ride it all day long on your own property without penalty ( as long as your neighbors don't complain about the noise within a certain decibel level.)

Reactions: Gary E
A city can't ignore a state law but they can make it more strict if they pass a local ordinance. Just to clarify they can't make it more lenient. The most common example to this is city curfew times. Cities are known for wanting to limit the times minors are out of the house without supervision. They often cite reasons like problems with vandalism and loitering.

In your case they have classified your scooter as a motorized vehicle which has been restricted on public property. You can ride it all day long on your own property without penalty ( as long as your neighbors don't complain about the noise within a certain decibel level.)
The scooter is street qualified. Horn, lights, brakes, turn signals etc. We licensed it for years. It is so quiet. It was meant as a street legal vehicle. They said I can ride it legally outside of the city limits on county roads. Thats bs. . That's like saying you can't drive your 57 Chevy in the city although it can pass inspections.

To my knowledge you do. It need a liscence to fly a drone in Suffolk County. What is need is a permit to fly/photograph within any state park.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl