Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Nassau county cops giving me hard time about drone....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by P3 ADVANCED, Jul 16, 2016.

1. dirkclod

dirkclod Moderator
    Staff Member

Still making me google eh N01 .:)
    Please stay on the topic from the OP Pegasus .Start a thread if you like on this to debate it but not in this one .
    Thank-You

Pegasus2 likes this.
  2. hotelzululima

Funny about that but I know several central California LEO(s) in the Oakland, Monterey/Carmel/Seaside/Marina/Santa Clara &CHP who are either drone pilots themselves or who have a partner who is and they proceed to chew my ear off with questions about my drone and tell me of the fun they have with drones.. vastly different experience

maybe a move out here is in order:)
    hzl

3. Jason Porembski

That's crazy. I live in Bethpage and fly in front of my house all the time. Thankfully no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. Daniel medeiros

I had the same problem with the local police officer in my town he showed up in my driveway and I asked also if I had a license I told him that I had an FAA registration which was on my drone
    Then he told me that I could be breaking the law flying the drone I then told him what was underneath my feet and above my head I owned I pay taxes and I was doing nothing wrong I did ask hlm to explain what lawyer that I was breaking he could not then the officer left The property I try to find out who made the complaint through the freedom of information act and I could not find out how made the complaint

5. QuadcopterCrazy

Land of the free...Only if you are the privileged it seems, I'm pretty sure our drones will be as regulated as firearms just wait and see. If its fun and the government can make money off of busting people in the way of fines or jail time, they will regulate that fun, until its to the point where you ask yourself if its really worth it.

JerryofWV likes this.
  6. GadgetGuy

"Outlaws get to have all the fun..." :p

QuadcopterCrazy likes this.
  7. Xenomorph

This is perfectly put and nails this thread on the head! Well said Xave!

BigAl07 likes this.
  8. Xenomorph

Let's not turn this into yet another cop hating thread. Laws are passed and they are what they are. The police enforcement of those laws is their job so it's going to be done.

On a side note, anyone here who is anti-cop, make sure you never call on the police for service. That includes your drone being stolen or an unpleasant encounter with an unruly citizen while your out flying.

This snowflake anti-cop/ government generation sickens me. Everyone is so fast to challenge the police and the people who protect them and their freedom for their five minutes of pathetic internet fame. How about just cooperate and be polite? Your guaranteed an unpleasant encounter if you challenge the police.

sigh...

*sips coffee*

#148 Xenomorph, Feb 17, 2017 at 9:26 AM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 at 10:11 AM
  9. Badgenes

Right on Xenomorph. While there are always "bad" people in any line of work overall police encounters that go south are usually the fault of the citizen. Despite many encounters with police, one at 12 years old holding a shotgun on an intruder, one with 6 officers many years later pointing their firearms at me, only one was bad in regard to the officers behavior (and that one was because I was arguing I admit). The state of the nation in regard to attitudes toward law enforcement is sad indeed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Xenomorph likes this.
  10. Xenomorph

Well said! Cops have enough to worry about. Enforcement of someone calling on a drone is the least of concerns when police are being ambushed and killed. They need support and cooperation from the people they serve, not another problem.

#150 Xenomorph, Feb 17, 2017 at 10:16 AM
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM
  11. GMack

This is what the "tethered drone" is all about that CNN got a waiver on: The Fotokite Pro: Unlimited flight time and 1080p aerial live stream

Their FAA waiver has a bunch of stipulations even using it like no more than 21 feet over people's heads, and no more than 200 feet AGL. I think their pilot is 107 rated too that has the waiver. I posted their waiver link on here CNN holds since last summer, but can't find it now.

Personally, the entire FAA airspace thing is a total mess if the CNN waiver has those 200' AGL maximum altitude specs, but places like Nevada wants drones not over ones own property without permission to be over 250 feet as in that car plant mess the guy got into out there recently and was posted on here. Not to mention the expectation of privacy, trespassing, etc. and anti-drone ordinances in some cities. Seems any park official can make a judgment ruling on whether they will allow a drone or not too in their supervised area in CA even though the governor says "Okay with him on drones being flown in CA state parks." Just make the rules up as they go and confound the ongoing mess.

12. JCP10

Sounds like a "money" thing to me (a moneymaking opportunity for the State). Can't stop it, so they "tax" it.

13. GadgetGuy

Drone flying is a privilege, and not a right! Try not to **** off anyone, especially the cops! :cool:

Xenomorph and JCP10 like this.
  14. JCP10

Excellent point, and I'm wondering if the "license" they asked for wasn't actually the "registration". (not sure what NY laws and procedures are). And I see so many belligerent drone pilots... not worth it, although I understand the frustration. I try to keep some video on my phone so I can show it to people. In EVERY single case (my friends watching the video), people are ASTONISHED at the results (not that my video is so great; it's that they just can't imagine the "why" until they see it). Then they are supportive of the photography.