Nassau county cops giving me hard time about drone....

Still making me google eh N01 .:)
If you're doing property sales or survey work, this could be a great addition to your kit. I also think that you would not need to have full certification as it is tethered and also not dependent on gps. No flyways here. What would the law say about this one?

Products – Fotokite
But it's not a 'drone' it's a kite.
The control is via wiring inside the tether line, so surely that doesn't make it remote control?
Please stay on the topic from the OP Pegasus .Start a thread if you like on this to debate it but not in this one .
Thank-You

Reactions: Pegasus2
Lol just teasing... See you in Kalifornia!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Funny about that but I know several central California LEO(s) in the Oakland, Monterey/Carmel/Seaside/Marina/Santa Clara &CHP who are either drone pilots themselves or who have a partner who is and they proceed to chew my ear off with questions about my drone and tell me of the fun they have with drones.. vastly different experience

maybe a move out here is in order:)
hzl

Went in front of my house on long island just for a test flight. when i fly in front of my house i usually just go straight up and take some pics. Before i took off here comes the cops speeding down the block. Asked me for license to fly the droin said i dont have one. but i registered with the FAA. Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints. Tole be they just passed a bill in nassau county were you need a license. so i goggled it and it only says suffolk county. that nassau is trying to make the illegal with out a license. dont these cops worry about real crimes ? was kind of in shock.
I had the same problem with the local police officer in my town he showed up in my driveway and I asked also if I had a license I told him that I had an FAA registration which was on my drone
Then he told me that I could be breaking the law flying the drone I then told him what was underneath my feet and above my head I owned I pay taxes and I was doing nothing wrong I did ask hlm to explain what lawyer that I was breaking he could not then the officer left The property I try to find out who made the complaint through the freedom of information act and I could not find out how made the complaint

Land of the free...Only if you are the privileged it seems, I'm pretty sure our drones will be as regulated as firearms just wait and see. If its fun and the government can make money off of busting people in the way of fines or jail time, they will regulate that fun, until its to the point where you ask yourself if its really worth it.

Reactions: JerryofWV
Land of the free...Only if you are the privileged it seems, I'm pretty sure our drones will be as regulated as firearms just wait and see. If its fun and the government can make money off of busting people in the way of fines or jail time, they will regulate that fun, until its to the point where you ask yourself if its really worth it.
"Outlaws get to have all the fun..." :p

Reactions: QuadcopterCrazy
Your comment, "don't these cops worry about real crimes" is pretty immature for starters. When a neighbor, who most likely called to complain about your flying, requests a response by police then they have to respond. How that officer / deputy handles the issue is based on discretion and your cooperation. Trust me we don't like responding to BS calls in the first place but we can't ignore calls for service because we want to. If we did you bet Mrs. Smith, who doesn't like your flying, will be blowing up our phones demanding to file a complaint against us because we did nothing about it.

If an ordinance was passed to restrict drone flight in your area then it was passed by your elected officials that you / your parents voted in. It's not police's fault you've drawn enough attention to yourself to warrant a complaint. Take some responsibility for yourself.

This is perfectly put and nails this thread on the head! Well said Xave!

Reactions: BigAl07
Let's not turn this into yet another cop hating thread. Laws are passed and they are what they are. The police enforcement of those laws is their job so it's going to be done.

On a side note, anyone here who is anti-cop, make sure you never call on the police for service. That includes your drone being stolen or an unpleasant encounter with an unruly citizen while your out flying.

This snowflake anti-cop/ government generation sickens me. Everyone is so fast to challenge the police and the people who protect them and their freedom for their five minutes of pathetic internet fame. How about just cooperate and be polite? Your guaranteed an unpleasant encounter if you challenge the police.

sigh...

*sips coffee*

Last edited:
Right on Xenomorph. While there are always "bad" people in any line of work overall police encounters that go south are usually the fault of the citizen. Despite many encounters with police, one at 12 years old holding a shotgun on an intruder, one with 6 officers many years later pointing their firearms at me, only one was bad in regard to the officers behavior (and that one was because I was arguing I admit). The state of the nation in regard to attitudes toward law enforcement is sad indeed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Xenomorph
Right on Xenomorph. While there are always "bad" people in any line of work overall police encounters that go south are usually the fault of the citizen. Despite many encounters with police, one at 12 years old holding a shotgun on an intruder, one with 6 officers many years later pointing their firearms at me, only one was bad in regard to the officers behavior (and that one was because I was arguing I admit). The state of the nation in regard to attitudes toward law enforcement is sad indeed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Well said! Cops have enough to worry about. Enforcement of someone calling on a drone is the least of concerns when police are being ambushed and killed. They need support and cooperation from the people they serve, not another problem.

Last edited:
But it's not a 'drone' it's a kite.

This is what the "tethered drone" is all about that CNN got a waiver on: The Fotokite Pro: Unlimited flight time and 1080p aerial live stream

Their FAA waiver has a bunch of stipulations even using it like no more than 21 feet over people's heads, and no more than 200 feet AGL. I think their pilot is 107 rated too that has the waiver. I posted their waiver link on here CNN holds since last summer, but can't find it now.

Personally, the entire FAA airspace thing is a total mess if the CNN waiver has those 200' AGL maximum altitude specs, but places like Nevada wants drones not over ones own property without permission to be over 250 feet as in that car plant mess the guy got into out there recently and was posted on here. Not to mention the expectation of privacy, trespassing, etc. and anti-drone ordinances in some cities. Seems any park official can make a judgment ruling on whether they will allow a drone or not too in their supervised area in CA even though the governor says "Okay with him on drones being flown in CA state parks." Just make the rules up as they go and confound the ongoing mess.

Went in front of my house on long island just for a test flight. when i fly in front of my house i usually just go straight up and take some pics. Before i took off here comes the cops speeding down the block. Asked me for license to fly the droin said i dont have one. but i registered with the FAA. Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints. Tole be they just passed a bill in nassau county were you need a license. so i goggled it and it only says suffolk county. that nassau is trying to make the illegal with out a license. dont these cops worry about real crimes ? was kind of in shock.
Sounds like a "money" thing to me (a moneymaking opportunity for the State). Can't stop it, so they "tax" it.

Excellent point, and I'm wondering if the "license" they asked for wasn't actually the "registration". (not sure what NY laws and procedures are). And I see so many belligerent drone pilots... not worth it, although I understand the frustration. I try to keep some video on my phone so I can show it to people. In EVERY single case (my friends watching the video), people are ASTONISHED at the results (not that my video is so great; it's that they just can't imagine the "why" until they see it). Then they are supportive of the photography.

To my knowledge you do. It need a liscence to fly a drone in Suffolk County. What is need is a permit to fly/photograph within any state park.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
No aviation of any kind is allowed in NY State Parks without prior permit.

No aviation of any kind is allowed in NY State Parks without prior permit.
I think the birds are given a pass, though, eh? :p
We can still hang a camera from a carrier pigeon like they did in WWII, and remotely control the camera! :D

Thanks for deleting my post.. There was nothing in it that broke the rules .. What is wrong?? I would like an explanation from an Admin please....

They don't need a reason, they have guns..... we have snakes,!they will never take out snakes! Lol

A license? I'm assuming you happy for your license through the country? Are there any requirements? Why do I feel as if lawmakers are trying to hold drone users back..

Actually It's a right not a privilege. Where I live the cops actually come over to have a look and ask questions about the performance, distance I can fly, and does it take photos and videos. I actually flew it to the front of the police station and they stood outside so I could snap some photo's which then then used to show their families.

The thing is the attitude of the police is very much different where I live.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers