Nassau county cops giving me hard time about drone....

The scooter is street qualified. Horn, lights, brakes, turn signals etc. We licensed it for years. It is so quiet. It was meant as a street legal vehicle. They said I can ride it legally outside of the city limits on county roads. Thats bs. . That's like saying you can't drive your 57 Chevy in the city although it can pass inspections.

I dont agree with many local ordinances passed in some cities. It all starts with some resident either complaining, a city council person with their panties in a bunch, or someone getting hurt while using such a vehicle. Many of those ordinances were passed to limit kids riding those new electric style scooters that actually go pretty fast.

Reactions: Gary E
I dont agree with many local ordinances passed in some cities. It all starts with some resident either complaining, a city council person with their panties in a bunch, or someone getting hurt while using such a vehicle. Many of those ordinances were passed to limit kids riding those new electric style scooters that actually go pretty fast.
The electric thing does not even apply here. Most of them would not be street legal. They are toys for children.

The electric thing does not even apply here. Most of them would not be street legal. They are toys for children.

I agree but my point is that in some areas the language when such restrictions are made are written so loosely, sometimes intentionally, to try and encompass more than 1 category. I don't agree with that on so many levels. Either way I'd still try and obtain written clarification either through your city municipality or government offices to see if there are exemptions or loop holes to make riding it still possible.

I agree but my point is that in some areas the language when such restrictions are made are written so loosely, sometimes intentionally, to try and encompass more than 1 category. I don't agree with that on so many levels. Either way I'd still try and obtain written clarification either through your city municipality or government offices to see if there are exemptions or loop holes to make riding it still possible.
I haven't pressed the issue but I will call the local DMV and the local police and see what I can find.

No i was being nice as possible i wouldnt talk back to the cops im 37 years old. actually the cop that was giving me a hard time not letting me even talk (400 pound cop) the cop driving was laughing at him. He was nice that cop. i live in a small town called port washinton and im surronded by water so when i bring the droin straight up i have beatifull views. guess i just wont fly it on my block.

What normally happens, no one is present at their meetings when they create these ordinances to object. You have the right to be heard. Go to a meeting, take some pro drone people with you. Show them some videos/pictures you have taken with your drone.(cause unless one of these people fly drones they are going to look at you like the general public does.) sounds like you may need to educate them about the difference between a hobby and being a license professional. Chances are they don't have a clue. Someone in the meeting might have jumped up when the floor was opened for discussion and said the FAA requires a license for these. Then it became fact cause Joe blow sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

They all have review boards that can review the ordinance. As long as you can prove you are not a threat to public safety. At least they may open some fly zones in your town where you could fly.

Reactions: P3 ADVANCED
DJI_0019.JPG

Reactions: DronerLee
What normally happens, no one is present at their meetings when they create these ordinances to object. You have the right to be heard. Go to a meeting, take some pro drone people with you. Show them some videos/pictures you have taken with your drone.(cause unless one of these people fly drones they are going to look at you like the general public does.) sounds like you may need to educate them about the difference between a hobby and being a license professional. Chances are they don't have a clue. Someone in the meeting might have jumped up when the floor was opened for discussion and said the FAA requires a license for these. Then it became fact cause Joe blow sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

They all have review boards that can review the ordinance. As long as you can prove you are not a threat to public safety. At least they may open some fly zones in your town where you could fly.

Great points. Try to be as involved and informed as possible with your local government. City council meetings and agendas are normally posted on their local sites and can be difficult to keep track of. Complainers show up in force often with just their complaint and little information. Educating local government is imperative.

XAVE you have a wild imagination. not shure were you got all this false information from.

You may not want to believe what I say is the truth. That's fine, research yourself. As an officer in the north burbs of the city of Chicago I have more experience than you may think. I've seen and have been involved in the prosecution side of ordinances like these. I haven't said anything that is not true.

I filmed in a state park just last night for an event there in Suffolk County. I definitely felt weird doing so as I had a bit of a walk with my drone in hand to get into position. When I finally got to where I wanted to be, it was right by an ems/police station set up for the event. I'm very used to interfacing with law enforcement in my day job. I seek them out to work with them. They are not my adversary, but rather my partner. In this instance I was really happy to see them in an area that I knew was a touchy thing for operating a drone, with a crowd gathered no less. I immediately walked over with drone in hand and said hello and explained that I wanted to fly aerial for film. I explained that I wanted to let them know so they wouldn't be caught off guard seeing it and if they said I couldn't fly, I wouldn't. All the while I knew what they were going to say. I had my registration, but of course I had no permit to fly in the park. They said they don't recommend doing it but they wouldn't stop me and if the drone fell on someone, I'm liable. I assured them I wasn't a novice flyer and I wouldn't be flying over the crowd at all. And so without a problem, they said ok and I did my thing.

I know there are some police that aren't as affable as others. I've dealt with them along the way. But almost always, if I engage them in a professional way they appreciate it in a big way and it goes a long way to a good outcome for drone flying. We're in the beginning stages of drone flying out there, all of us. I have found that when it comes to law enforcement and public flying, talking with them before flight is a very positive approach to a good outcome. I actually like when they take an interest and if they choose to hang with me during a flight, I really like that. I feel untouchable, lol. I'm finding that as I build up my experience out there, a cooperative approach is the best approach.

You may not want to believe what I say is the truth. That's fine, research yourself. As an officer in the north burbs of the city of Chicago I have more experience than you may think. I've seen and have been involved in the prosecution side of ordinances like these. I haven't said anything that is not true.
no i belief you especially being a officer. just meant what you said about me talking back about the cops, that not my stlye.

Last edited:
Went in front of my house on long island just for a test flight. when i fly in front of my house i usually just go straight up and take some pics. Before i took off here comes the cops speeding down the block. Asked me for license to fly the droin said i dont have one. but i registered with the FAA. Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints. Tole be they just passed a bill in nassau county were you need a license. so i goggled it and it only says suffolk county. that nassau is trying to make the illegal with out a license. dont these cops worry about real crimes ? was kind of in shock.

Man, is that all you have to worry about with all this [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] going on around the world....and in your country ???

Go and fly it somewhere else and you won't have any issues as I am sure you have taken enough photos from around your house.:rolleyes:

And a lot of you should go back to school to learn to spell ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, is that all you have to worry about with all this [EXPLETIVE REMOVED] going on around the world....and in your country ???

Go and fly it somewhere else and you won't have any issues as I am sure you have taken enough photos from around your house.:rolleyes:

I love spell check....

Thats exactly my point all this stuff going on in the world and this cops worried about a toy drone. And as far as spelling most people type from there cell phone. All this crazy stuff going on on the world and your worried about some spelling errors. obviously you dont have much to worry about.

Reactions: 10X
Thats exactly my point all this stuff going on in the world and this cops worried about a toy drone. And as far as spelling most people type from there cell phone. All this crazy stuff going on on the world and your worried about some spelling errors. obviously you dont have much to worry about.

Yup all this crazy stuff in the world and people still call to complain about this petty stuff. I agree, but we still need to respond.

And that would be "their" cell phone. Lol

my grandfather is a lifelong RC plane enthusiast in Centerport and has basically given up flying, he just builds them now. All of his old flight areas are gone and from what he says it's impossible to fly anywhere. From what he has said LI is not an RC friendly place in general (he hates most everything about LI at this point but is too stubborn to move).

Reactions: P3 ADVANCED

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl