Nassau county cops giving me hard time about drone....

Lol yeah I thought the same thing about the sign but it was actually the PD's idea that I post it where people could see it. So far so good :)

I got a P3P 2 months ago. You have to buy a AMA license. They are $75 per year. They give you automatic insurance up to $250,000. I heard on Alex Jones, InfoWars radio show, if you are caught flying a quad, without a license, you are subject to a $20,000 fine. So make sure you have the AMA license before you argue your right to fly with local police, or it could cost you $20,000. I believe this is a federal law, coming from the current WhiteHouse

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Where are you getting that the police "have to respond" every time someone makes a frivolous complaint? That may be a policy that your department, and others, have created for political reasons, but is there some law that says that? It actually creates problems, because you go to a scene and then the complainant has an expectation that you're going to do something.

If he had to "respond," wouldn't it have been better for the officer to have responded to the complainant to determine if a violation of the law was alleged and, if not, explained that to him/her? They could still offer to go out and speak with the OP in the context of merely addressing the fact that he was upsetting a neighbor. (I note that you've created the character of the complaining neighbor for this plot line to justify the officer's actions, but I'll assume he exists).

Instead, the end result is a neighbor who thinks he has some power that he does not, and the OP feels he's been abused and his rights trampled... and justifiably so.

If the neighbor starts "blowing up our phones," explain to him that he hasn't alleged a violation of the law and that he's abusing the 911 system. Or talk to him when he calls. It's your job.

You mention in another posting that the police officer wouldn't be "stealing" the drone, he'd be confiscating it as "evidence." Evidence of what? Apparently no crime was being committed. The officer was making what was probably nothing more than an idle threat as an intimidation tactic.

I'm not "anti-cop" by any means, but I'm anti what you describe. It's a very common, and very poor, approach to police work.

In response there are a few points I'd like to make. Here in Illinois many agencies have a consolidated dispatching center which means many agencies use the same 911 and non emergency call center. Communications operators do not have the luxury of refusing a dispatch if a response is requested unless there are severe extenuating circumstances, triage during a major incident, or administrative approval from the chief.

Having said that I know many agencies around the country follow the same policy and principle of service. Yes I'm aware there are rural areas where response time can defer and they may have the option to refuse a response but not here. I apologize for not taking all agencies into account during my initial response to the comment.

As for our response many of our calls end with notifying the person of the complaint, educating the respondent of any violations ( if any ), and directing them to the city web site where they can obtain additional information. It's not always about writing violations. I only speak for our agency of course when complaints are not signed. There are times when there is a violation and the caller wishes to sign the ticket as the complainant usually due to ongoing problems. Then a citation is issued with the complainant signing as the complainant.

I'd also like to clarify I don't condone what this officer did if he threatened to take the drone if there was no violation. There are some officers that handle things with their temper rather than their head. Even if you were lippy, which may or may not have happened, he should have been able to diffuse the issue without getting his butt hurt. In any case our jobs can be difficult at times dealing with callers who want something done but don't want to be identified. It can be a lose lose situation. I wish you luck with your future piloting experiences.

I've educated our agency and our administration has created somewhat of a sanctuary city for drones pilots who fly responsibly.

Reactions: DCDrone
All of the people on this thread who complain about the cops--you probably created this situation by not being involved. As soon as everyone allowed the (un)Patriot Act to be passed and gave cops carte blanche to harass us they started us on this journey to where we are now.

Went in front of my house on long island just for a test flight. when i fly in front of my house i usually just go straight up and take some pics. Before i took off here comes the cops speeding down the block. Asked me for license to fly the droin said i dont have one. but i registered with the FAA. Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints. Tole be they just passed a bill in nassau county were you need a license. so i goggled it and it only says suffolk county. that nassau is trying to make the illegal with out a license. dont these cops worry about real crimes ? was kind of in shock.

Looks like the law restricts the launching or landing of a UAV in most public areas
"All public parks, beaches, wetlands, playgrounds, athletic fields, recreation centers, marinas, golf courses, open spaces and areas publicly owned and acquired for the conservation of natural resources and the enjoyment thereof by the residents of the County of Suffolk, including all buildings, structures, equipment and appurtenances located thereon, also entrances and approaches thereto and streets or roads in or through such park or parks and parts thereof, but not including any town, village, County or state highway, and such other rights and appurtenances as the Department shall utilize for its purposes, whether the same is now or hereafter owned or acquired in fee or otherwise by the County or under the care and control of the County by lease or otherwise for park, recreation and conservation purposes, not including canals, canal locks and waterways, channels and other County-owned or leased facilities placed under the jurisdiction of the Department of Public Works as provided in Article VIII of the Suffolk County Charter."
Suffolk County, NY: Legislative intent.
While state and local laws that restrict flying in the National Air Space should be preempted by federal laws they do still have the right to restrict or ban the launching and landing of UAVs or aircraft on publicly owned areas.
I ran into a similar situation flying launching my Phantom PV2+ on the shoreline outside of Fort Clinch on Amelia Island.
(I miss seeing this law in my research before flying there)
Can not fly in FL. State Parks - RC Groups
One ranger and a Fernandina Beach police officer was nice but another ranger I could tell wanted to jump all over me about it.

The best thing to do is to be always be polite and diplomatic (even if they are not). Being confrontational with a police officer or ranger only makes it worst to change the perception of UAV owners and fight unfriendly UAV laws.
Research the law and if you have questions contact the Chief of Police or Park Service.
Show up and speak up when these type laws are being discussed.
Educate people on the UAVs and correct them on ignorant misconceptions many have that on people flying UAV.

Reactions: Monte Olsen
All of the people on this thread who complain about the cops--you probably created this situation by not being involved. As soon as everyone allowed the (un)Patriot Act to be passed and gave cops carte blanche to harass us they started us on this journey to where we are now.

LOL! How old are you? Like there weren't any abusive and dictatorial cops before 2001! (actually.... I think police have gotten a lot better over the years)

What aspect of the Patriot Act do you think gave local police "carte blanche to harass us" ?

No matter what I say I can tell you're anti-cop. I get that. I can't say I blame people with the way some officers act but I have to remind you not all officers are like that.

You're right, giving an officer lip isn't illegal but if you're already in violation of even a minor ordinance violation why start the conversation on the wrong foot especially if he/she approaches with the intent of just educating you of the local restrictions.

The advice I give to ever new officer starting with our department is simple. Pretend you're not wearing the uniform and communicate with people like a regular person. Put the authority you have aside, listen, and really communicate. You often get a better response and compliance without a need for enforcement.
There is nothing "anticop" about what he's saying, sir. I very much support our police, but you seem to have the attitude of "either you are with me or you are against me." If you give me "lip," you're gonna a pay. You seem to think that intimidating people rather than being a positive part of your community is the way to do your job. At least, that's how you come across to me. Like I said, I am a huge supporter of our police, Sheriff and State Police. But they don't come up to people looking for a fight.

Reactions: jessedegenerate
There is nothing "anticop" about what he's saying, sir. I very much support our police, but you seem to have the attitude of "either you are with me or you are against me." If you give me "lip," you're gonna a pay. You seem to think that intimidating people rather than being a positive part of your community is the way to do your job. At least, that's how you come across to me. Like I said, I am a huge supporter of our police, Sheriff and State Police. But they don't come up to people looking for a fight.

You missed my last post apparently

Went in front of my house on long island just for a test flight. when i fly in front of my house i usually just go straight up and take some pics. Before i took off here comes the cops speeding down the block. Asked me for license to fly the droin said i dont have one. but i registered with the FAA. Then he says he will confiscate it if he gets complaints. Tole be they just passed a bill in nassau county were you need a license. so i goggled it and it only says suffolk county. that nassau is trying to make the illegal with out a license. dont these cops worry about real crimes ? was kind of in shock.

I hade the same problem i told the officer whats under my feet and above my head i own and no one is going to stop me and he just told me to have a great day

I wanted to weigh in on this one since I'm always running into local drone bans that are not well posted. It's incredibly frustrating that local towns and even states can enact bans that are clearly beyond their authority. The rules are simple, the FAA regulates anything that can sustain an elevation above the ground. That includes everything from the earth to the heavens and applies to large commercial airliners as well as micro-drones. When a local town bans drone flights they are really banning the takeoff and landing of these craft, and they have the right to do that. Since you were flying it on private property you should be fine. I'm hoping that there will be more clarity when Part 107 becomes law on 9/29 and help these local towns sort out the confusion. I recently did a clip on how best to avoid these issues and you can view it here if you like -

Your comment, "don't these cops worry about real crimes" is pretty immature for starters. When a neighbor, who most likely called to complain about your flying, requests a response by police then they have to respond. How that officer / deputy handles the issue is based on discretion and your cooperation. Trust me we don't like responding to BS calls in the first place but we can't ignore calls for service because we want to. If we did you bet Mrs. Smith, who doesn't like your flying, will be blowing up our phones demanding to file a complaint against us because we did nothing about it.

If an ordinance was passed to restrict drone flight in your area then it was passed by your elected officials that you / your parents voted in. It's not police's fault you've drawn enough attention to yourself to warrant a complaint. Take some responsibility for yourself.
Your tone is wrong. I would have politely told you to confiscate it. I would have video taped your confiscation and sued your department. I question that a local ordinance exists and your duty officer should know what that ordinance is and at a roll call you should all be told what that ordinance is so that when in a situation you can cite the ordinance instead of threatening to confiscate someone's property. You are supposed to be trained in deescalation and threatening to seize someone's property is likely to escalate the situation. The responding officer was the one that reacted poorly. I worked in communications in Haupauge for the Suffok County Police and have great respect for all of you however threatening a citizen is not th correct response. Also the legislature requires a permit not a license and it does not apply to flying over your own property.

Suffolk County Legislature voted Tuesday to put the first limits on camera-bearing drones, requiring permits to fly them over county buildings and parks and barring all such flights above county beaches in summer.

This is what I am talking about, as law enforcement you need to have some type of continuing education. The officer should have told the caller that there was no violation. Never mind the caller because had the responding officer confiscated your department would have violated the drone operators rights.

Your tone is wrong. I would have politely told you to confiscate it. I would have video taped your confiscation and sued your department. I question that a local ordinance exists and your duty officer should know what that ordinance is and at a roll call you should all be told what that ordinance is so that when in a situation you can cite the ordinance instead of threatening to confiscate someone's property. You are supposed to be trained in deescalation and threatening to seize someone's property is likely to escalate the situation. The responding officer was the one that reacted poorly. I worked in communications in Haupauge for the Suffok County Police and have great respect for all of you however threatening a citizen is not th correct response. Also the legislature requires a permit not a license and it does not apply to flying over your own property.

Suffolk County Legislature voted Tuesday to put the first limits on camera-bearing drones, requiring permits to fly them over county buildings and parks and barring all such flights above county beaches in summer.

This is what I am talking about, as law enforcement you need to have some type of continuing education. The officer should have told the caller that there was no violation. Never mind the caller because had the responding officer confiscated your department would have violated the drone operators rights.

I don't condone the officers reaction and verbal response. I've made this clear in my other posts. I did perhaps use or assume he mouthed off but in my line of work it happens often. I've already clarified myself in my other posts.

I live in NH and you pretty much do what you want.
Except buy drinks with more than 6% alcohol from anyone other than state-owned liquor stores. Yeah, that's freedom... Live Free or Die is the state's motto. The irony.

Your comment, "don't these cops worry about real crimes" is pretty immature for starters. When a neighbor, who most likely called to complain about your flying, requests a response by police then they have to respond. How that officer / deputy handles the issue is based on discretion and your cooperation. Trust me we don't like responding to BS calls in the first place but we can't ignore calls for service because we want to. If we did you bet Mrs. Smith, who doesn't like your flying, will be blowing up our phones demanding to file a complaint against us because we did nothing about it.

If an ordinance was passed to restrict drone flight in your area then it was passed by your elected officials that you / your parents voted in. It's not police's fault you've drawn enough attention to yourself to warrant a complaint. Take some responsibility for yourself.

Spoken like a real Oath keeper.

EyesAni.gif

I don't see this starting to get disruptive do I guys .
Would hate to send it to OT .

Spoken like a real Oath keeper.

Keep reading the other posts people. You're hung up on this one post without reading on. It's been clarified already.

Officers around the country get sent on calls they know are without merit. It's part of the job. If we can turn it into a learning experience then great.

Once again I do not condone this officers reaction and verbal response if in fact it is an accurate description of what happened but I know better than to judge without knowing both sides of the story.

I have no information on the way the officer / deputy handled the incident because I wasn't there but I'm guessing if a citation was or could have been warranted the rules of evidence would apply. My guess is if you got such a reaction from the official right off the bat you gave him some lip or you've been spoken to before about the same issue. ( There are of course ******* cops out there but generally speaking they want to do there job and get out ) Of course you'll deny that but whatever. That's why I love body cameras.

The word "stealing" and maintaining an object of evidence are something you need to learn. In most towns where an ordinance is passed limiting drone flight a simple photograph of the drone will suffice. In other municipalities corporation council or the states attorney's office may request the collection of the drone till prosecution.

That would be "they way to do THEIR job," not "THERE job". Being you were quick to point out the same grammatical error made by another poster... And to think- you're an educated cop... So you'd think spelling & grammar would be correct?

That would be "they way to do THEIR job," not "THERE job". Being you were quick to point out the same grammatical error made by another poster... And to think- you're an educated cop... So you'd think spelling & grammar would be correct?

Absolutely correct. I was typing too quickly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub