My P3P crashed, DJI not cooperating

I have a plane jane, non-cellular/LTE iPad and I fly with the radio off. All the intelligent flight features operate. The only GPS available to the app is via the quad's on boar GPS. No where in DJI's technical material is there any mention you must have GPS on your device.

I have a plane jane, non-cellular/LTE iPad and I fly with the radio off. All the intelligent flight features operate.
Which intelligent flight features are you referring to?

I have a plane jane, non-cellular/LTE iPad and I fly with the radio off. All the intelligent flight features operate. The only GPS available to the app is via the quad's on boar GPS. No where in DJI's technical material is there any mention you must have GPS on your device.

Granted I only have about a dozen flights and I only tried follow me once but when I did, I had forgotten that I disabled GPS on my device the night before to save battery. When I tried follow me, I got a message about GPS not being available (don't remember the wording). I then remembered that I turned off GPS on the device so I dropped down the status bar and enabled it on my device. I was then able to activate the follow me mode. P3P. Nexus 6 device. So I don't know what's going on if you are able to (effectively) use follow me on an iPad with no GPS.

Mike

My apologies, and duly noted, own the proverbial egg on my face. What was I thinking... You must have a GPS tablet to use follow me mode. I cringe to think of the repercussions here. but will man up and own my mistake.

This was not the original question however, which was how the app knows the distance and location from the controller. That I know operates on mine without the tablet radio enabled.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
My battery is nearly depleted after reading through all of these posts!!! I'll admit I did learn one very helpful bit of information from all of this however, it didn't appear until approx post #240. Allowing the barometer 3 minutes or so to warm up will result in improved accuracy. This in itself will help many avoid possible mishaps with trees, buildings, etc. I always try and fly at least twice the height of obstacles in my vicinity.

My battery is nearly depleted after reading through all of these posts!!! I'll admit I did learn one very helpful bit of information from all of this however, it didn't appear until approx post #240. Allowing the barometer 3 minutes or so to warm up will result in improved accuracy. This in itself will help many avoid possible mishaps with trees, buildings, etc. I always try and fly at least twice the height of obstacles in my vicinity.

Ditto here. That's the most important piece I've gleened from this thread and I will definitely be doing 3 minute warmups now! I too fly well above, probably close to your 2x unless I have clear LOS and it is obviously above treetop level. But when I switch to FPV, I've always got a BIG altitude cushion.

Edit: I also increase my RTH from my previous 40m (which easily clears all obstacles in my neighborhood) to 60m due to this thread.

Mike

Reactions: CCDD
Ditto here. That's the most important piece I've gleened from this thread and I will definitely be doing 3 minute warmups now! I too fly well above, probably close to your 2x unless I have clear LOS and it is obviously above treetop level. But when I switch to FPV, I've always got a BIG altitude cushion.

Edit: I also increase my RTH from my previous 40m (which easily clears all obstacles in my neighborhood) to 60m due to this thread.

Mike
Mike,
It might not be a bad idea to post a separate thread regarding barometer warm up times since many may have glanced at this thread when it first started never have looked here again therefore, will miss out on this very important piece of information. I recently sold my P3P however, still fly my Inspire and newly acquired X-Star Premium. I'll start a thread on the Inspire forum, I would suggest that perhaps you or another member do the same here.

Last edited:
3 minute warm ups for the barometer should not have been mentioned. There needs to be a known temperature goal point instead. The outside temps during both day and night for most all of us is much warmer now and would require less pre-flight staging.

And more importantly, it would be nice to see actual performance data displaying temp differences with the barometer. No need to create a frenzy about the barometer if it's not necessary.

Reactions: Meta4 and msinger
To those last two posts, I wanted to test mine with a 3 minute warmup and see what happens. I flew it 2 days ago and noticed some pretty big altitude errors without the warmup (well, maybe only "big" in my own mind but...) I wanted to retest with a 3 minute warmup to see if it's more accurate before going any further since I wasn't the one who posted the 3 minute warmup suggestion. It was 88 degrees when I launched but I still wonder if those of us who did IMU calibrations in a cool environment have made it so we can take off sooner and we're not accounting for that. Anyway, stormy today but in the next day or two, I'll do a 3 minute warmup and take the same altitude readings to see how they compare. My "worst" reading without the 3 minute warmup was hovering right next to a 35 foot palm tree and getting an altitude reading of 60 ft. I want to run a similar test and compare after a 3 minute warmup. That should tell us something.

Mike

Twas hovering right next to a 35 foot palm tree
Since we have no way to be sure your palm tree is actually 35 feet high, it would be more interesting to see the recorded altitude numbers from various flights that are started with different warmup times. You'd of course need to let your Phantom sit for enough time before each flight to allow everything to get back to the temperature of the environment where your Phantom was sitting prior to turning it on.

Since we have no way to be sure your palm tree is actually 35 feet high, it would be more interesting to see the recorded altitude numbers from various flights that are started with different warmup times. You'd of course need to let your Phantom sit for enough time before each flight to allow everything to get back to the temperature of the environment where your Phantom was sitting prior to turning it on.

I'll try things like that if I can, comparing different logs. But I know the height of the palm trees. I have a 20 foot trimming pole that I used to gauge it (won't reach the top) and yesterday I did some simple geometry to be sure. Walked out 50ft from the base, measured the angle to the top using a level and protractor, and got an angle of 30 degrees. That gave me a height of about 29 feet. Add my height as I was sighting standing up, and you're close to the 35 feet that I estimated with the trimmming pole.

Edit: BTW I got that trimming pole because there are two shorter palms next to the tall one that I can (barely) reach with it. The tall one I can't reach unless I use a 20 foot ladder. Tried that once and never again. Try holding a 20 foot pole almost vertical while standing on a 20 foot ladder. :) Now I just pay guys who bring a cherry picker. HOA busts ballz if you have brown fronds hanging down so I was already pretty familiar with those things and their heights.

Mike

Last edited:
But I know the height of the palm trees.
Well, you don't know. You estimated it :)

Regardless, we all know the altitude displayed in the DJI GO app is just an estimation. I thought you were trying to discern whether or not allowing the Phantom to warm up made a difference?

Well, you don't know. You estimated it :)

Regardless, we all know the altitude displayed in the DJI GO app is just an estimation. I thought you were trying to discern whether or not allowing the Phantom to warm up made a difference?

No. I didn't estimate it. I calculated it. :p Maybe if you want to the nearest inch, I'm busted. But I got it within a couple feet. BTW, not my first rodeo on measuring tree heights. I used to calculate (again within a few feet) tree heights when installing satellite dishes. There, you also have to figure in sat location, elevation, and heading as well.

Mike

Reactions: HWCM
No. I didn't estimate it. I calculated it.
To be perfectly honest, I don't think anyone in this thread is concerned with the height of your palm tree or whether or not DJI GO shows the height of your palm tree when your Phantom is at that altitude. After all, it's common knowledge that the altitude displayed in DJI GO is not 100% accurate. So, you're just going to prove that this common knowledge is accurate. But, carry on if you must ;)

To be perfectly honest, I don't think anyone in this thread is concerned with the height of your palm tree or whether or not DJI GO shows the height of your palm tree when your Phantom is at that altitude. After all, it's common knowledge that the altitude displayed in DJI GO is not 100% accurate. So, you're just going to prove that this common knowledge is accurate. But, carry on if you must ;)

Just establishing a baseline before I do the 3 minute warmup to test. "Not 100% accurate" is different from being off by a factor of 1.5. Is ~70% error something we should really expect? Is it less when you go higher? Does the 3 minute warmup help? I don't know the answer so I'm just testing/tinkering. Even if I do my own testing, it doesn't mean that translates to all P3P's or all locations so even if I find consistent readings/answers, it may not be useful to all. I'm just trying to get some idea for my own setup to see what information I can get. Can't hurt.

Mike

Last edited:
Is ~40% error something we should really expect?
That's the purpose of your test. No?

Here's what I would suggest you do to confirm whether or not the warmup time affects the altitude:

1) Let your Phantom sit indoors for 20 minutes. Take it outside, turn it on, start the motors as quickly as possible, and fly to the top of the palm tree. Land and turn off your Phantom.

2) Take your Phantom back indoors and let it sit for 20 minutes.

3) Take your Phantom outside, turn it on, wait 3 minutes, start the motors, and fly to the top of the palm tree. Land and turn off your Phantom.

4) Take your Phantom back indoors and let it sit for 20 minutes.

5) Take your Phantom outside, turn it on, wait 5 minutes, start the motors, and fly to the top of the palm tree. Land and turn off your Phantom.

6) Take your Phantom back indoors and let it sit for 20 minutes.

7) Take your Phantom outside, turn it on, wait 10 minutes, start the motors, and fly to the top of the palm tree. Land and turn off your Phantom.

8) Compare the altitudes recorded in all flight logs.

That's the purpose of your test. No?

Here's what I would suggest you do to confirm whether or not the warmup time affects the altitude:

1) Let your Phantom sit indoors for 20 minutes. Take it outside, turn it on, start the motors as quickly as possible, and fly to the top of the palm tree. Land and turn off your Phantom.

2) Take your Phantom back indoors and let it sit for 20 minutes.

3) Take your Phantom outside, turn it on, wait 3 minutes, start the motors, and fly to the top of the palm tree. Land and turn off your Phantom.

4) Take your Phantom back indoors and let it sit for 20 minutes.

5) Take your Phantom outside, turn it on, wait 5 minutes, start the motors, and fly to the top of the palm tree. Land and turn off your Phantom.

6) Take your Phantom back indoors and let it sit for 20 minutes.

7) Take your Phantom outside, turn it on, wait 10 minutes, start the motors, and fly to the top of the palm tree. Land and turn off your Phantom.

8) Compare the altitudes recorded in all flight logs.

I shall do my best. :) The first part I did already but if the weather conditions aren't very close to my quick takeoff test, I'll rerun all the tests.

Mike

If the barometer becomes more accurate if left to warm up for a bit, whether it's 1 minute or 3, it may be worth this extra safety rather than turning on and immediately taking off.

Last edited:
Has the OP stated what tablet he is using. I have read the whole thread over the last few days and can't remember if he has.
If he has a non cellular ipad or other device without inbuilt gps, then that would explain why his attempts to reset his home point failed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT