My P3P crashed, DJI not cooperating

To be honest, I haven't decided yet. It's not about the money at this point. Their lousy offer is worthless to me because I can easily get a new P3P on sale with the remote and charger for not a whole lot more. My current Phantom still works fine, I can replace the camera for around $350 and I'm back in business. I've had her out a few times in controlled environments and everything seems fine.

Trust me, I've been researching the competition and DJI still has the most features for the price point. They obviously know that, hence they feel they can treat their customers like crap. It's not even the 20% that bothers me, it's the the lack of communication. I would have expected someone to speak to me and explain their findings, explain how they arrived at 20% and at least pretend to give a **** about keeping me as a DJI customer. I've heard nothing !
Have you looked at the Typhoon H?
The Solo by 3DR is available now for $599 with the gimbal.

So many that have had poor experiences with DJI and want so badly to begin drone life with another manufacturer will quickly realize how great the Phantom product line is. Trust me, I've learned the hard way, the grass certainly isn't greener on the other side!!!! I agree with most that DJI's CS is their biggest issue but their product and software is by far superior to anything else I've seen or flown.

To be honest, I haven't decided yet. It's not about the money at this point. Their lousy offer is worthless to me because I can easily get a new P3P on sale with the remote and charger for not a whole lot more. My current Phantom still works fine, I can replace the camera for around $350 and I'm back in business. I've had her out a few times in controlled environments and everything seems fine.

Trust me, I've been researching the competition and DJI still has the most features for the price point. They obviously know that, hence they feel they can treat their customers like crap. It's not even the 20% that bothers me, it's the the lack of communication. I would have expected someone to speak to me and explain their findings, explain how they arrived at 20% and at least pretend to give a **** about keeping me as a DJI customer. I've heard nothing !
Communication is, indeed, their biggest weakness. They aren't Apple, although they have smartly partnered with them. DJI still makes the best products for the money. Learn to work around the potential minefields like Smart Return Home, designed for the newbie, which can be stupid at times, and don't expect superior customer service at these price points. The price would have to double for that! At $350 to be back in business, you've learned a lot, and won't make the same mistakes again. The free education in this thread alone is worth $350! :cool: Let it go.

Reactions: Meta4
Looked liked he was trying to crack open a lobster
Indeed, it did! :p
Perhaps he should have used better culinary tools! ;)
Too bad we can't understand the full audio!
As Sully from Donovan would say, he's a real "pisser"! :cool:

A quick update for everyone ....

Its been 6 weeks since the unfortunate crash of my Phantom. After pages and pages of one way communication with DJI, I finally received an email from a manager this week who responded to my questions. He was kind enough to explain to me the basis of their findings. They are pretty much dead set in their position that my Phantom impacted with something at 54 feet as shown in the logs. They are discarding all of the evidence I provided showing the altitude calculation was faulty due to a defective baro on board the Phantom. Just a FYI to anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation, they rely 100% on the data in the logs, they take nothing else into consideration. If the logs contain incorrect data as it did in my case, they find various creative ways to exclude it. I can only surmise that an admission of fault regarding the faulty barometer would trigger a host of warranty returns/recalls that they would rather not deal with.

That said, they did say that despite ruling the crash 100% pilot error, they will offer 30% off a new Phantom as a customer service gesture. It took 6 weeks of fighting to get this, I can only hope that despite their denial of any responsibility on paper they will look at ways to improve the RTH logic and any potential issues in the way the aircraft calculates its altitude readings.

Thank you once again to the experts who assisted in analyzing my flight logs, your analysis gave me a better understanding of what occurred and allowed me to effectively present my case to DJI. This was certainly a huge learning experience for me and I will truly benefit from what I've learned moving forward. My new Phantom was shipped today, I should be back in the air shortly.

Reactions: Reed L
A quick update for everyone ....

Its been 6 weeks since the unfortunate crash of my Phantom. After pages and pages of one way communication with DJI, I finally received an email from a manager this week who responded to my questions. He was kind enough to explain to me the basis of their findings. They are pretty much dead set in their position that my Phantom impacted with something at 54 feet as shown in the logs. They are discarding all of the evidence I provided showing the altitude calculation was faulty due to a defective baro on board the Phantom. Just a FYI to anyone who may find themselves in a similar situation, they rely 100% on the data in the logs, they take nothing else into consideration. If the logs contain incorrect data as it did in my case, they find various creative ways to exclude it. I can only surmise that an admission of fault regarding the faulty barometer would trigger a host of warranty returns/recalls that they would rather not deal with.

That said, they did say that despite ruling the crash 100% pilot error, they will offer 30% off a new Phantom as a customer service gesture. It took 6 weeks of fighting to get this, I can only hope that despite their denial of any responsibility on paper they will look at ways to improve the RTH logic and any potential issues in the way the aircraft calculates its altitude readings.

Thank you once again to the experts who assisted in analyzing my flight logs, your analysis gave me a better understanding of what occurred and allowed me to effectively present my case to DJI. This was certainly a huge learning experience for me and I will truly benefit from what I've learned moving forward. My new Phantom was shipped today, I should be back in the air shortly.
Make sure to turn Smart Return Home OFF on the new unit! ;)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj