Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

I guess it still could be a matter of personal preference/opinion, but when you hear from somebody who's in the antenna business for years, it's worth at least reading and considering

Cactus a signal killer? That's the least of it. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some cats, dogs, or even humans buried in that thing! That cactus would be on my list to be removed entirely. But, maybe I don't have enough cactus appreciation. There can't be cactus huggers can there? That would be painful, I would think.

Most cacti are protected in the SW! They're beautiful!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So if I were to follow that, it appears that Ed 209 is going about it in the safest way possible to avoid damage to the controller or amps
I read it the opposite way, but bottom line, I don't think it matters. We'd be seeing a lot of threads and complaints about burnt out transmitters or amps by now, and we haven't had any at all. So I think we can assume we're safe regardless of how we start up the tx / amps. :smile:

I read it the opposite way, but bottom line, I don't think it matters. We'd be seeing a lot of threads and complaints about burnt out transmitters or amps by now, and we haven't had any at all. So I think we can assume we're safe regardless of how we start up the tx / amps. :smile:
As long as there is something attached to those cables!

Can I trade my current DBS panel in for a maxxrange one lol

Can I trade my current DBS panel in for a maxxrange one lol

In a sense you can, I bet somebody would buy your panel on the classifieds for 50 bucks and you can buy the panel only version of the maxx for 79

dollar for dollar what panel would you choose? From all these tests ive seen so far they seem to perform about the same.

Would it just be a preference in looks/size and price?

Would it just be a preference in looks/size and price?
It would have to be based on that, cause theyre both great panels!
We just need more flyers to chime in once they start receiving them.
When you can drop down into an open field as far as 80 feet above the ground with your signal cutting through 20 houses at 2700 feet away like I did yesterday I don't know what more you could expect of an antenna, oh yeah, and it was unboosted

It would have to be based on that, cause theyre both great panels!
We just need more flyers to chime in once they start receiving them.
When you can drop down into an open field as far as 80 feet above the ground with your signal cutting through 20 houses at 2700 feet away like I did yesterday I don't know what more you could expect of an antenna, oh yeah, and it was unboosted
Or this from a mile away [emoji3]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462984002.840109.jpg

Holy schnikes thats low!

The baseball diamond looks like it's about 25 feet off the ground
I was just above the backstop fencing which is 7 rows of 4ft chain link fencing. So I'd estimate about 30-35ft. I was lower than my take off location so altitude read -136ft.

can you do the same flight with the terminator ? Do tyou think with a boosted setup it would be even better in the same conditions ?
Did the same trip with Terminator UNboosted keeping as low as I could cutting signal right through house, literally! Both antennas took it about the same distances at the same altitudes, but to be honest the Terminator showed green "ready gps" signal ALOT more along the way compared to the Maxx flight yesterday.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462996396.246422.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462996411.839592.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462996423.554619.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462996435.439029.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462996443.989512.jpg

Then I did the same drop down into field at 2600' test as w/ the Maxx yesterday. This was as low as I could go and still have fpv.
Remember this is cutting right through about 20 houses(at very least through their rooftops)
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462996607.587574.jpg

Decided to do a maxxrange unboosted test flight in a heavily suburban area.
Big houses all around me & for miles.
I started out about 130' high and lost visual site over the rooftops after 2000 feet let it keep going and it didn't drop a bar until almost a mile! That means I was cutting through house is literally, through walls! Somewhere between 4-5000' it started dropping bars quickly still with solid video feed so I brought it up hundred feet and then I just kept bringing it up until I finally reached 400 feet and 2 miles where I lost signal eventually and let it RTH. First pic is what I see standing behind the controller my field of viewView attachment 53232View attachment 53233View attachment 53234View attachment 53235
Actually looking back at this Maxxrange flight from yesterday,
Its obvious that I was able to stay lower w/ the Terminator !

Reactions: Procharged97
Reactions: dirtybum
Got any forest around there or bunch trees?..i would like to see how it plays out with that scenario. ..thsts all i have around me and cant get that far out..but that with the itty bitty dbs panel!!..sux...this is my landscape..only few small fields but so many big trees

Attachments

• 1463003420554.jpg
    1463003420554.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 298
Got any forest around there or bunch trees?..i would like to see how it plays out with that scenario. ..thsts all i have around me and cant get that far out..but that with the itty bitty dbs panel!!..sux...this is my landscape..only few small fields but so many big trees
Yeah that will eat up some signal, but the difference between the little panel & this big panel is night and day

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94