Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Can you use the max range or the terminator on a standard
Yes J! I took the p3 standard out 36,000 feet using the terminator unboosted for the Wi-Fi signal.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1462717978.834286.jpg

You can follow along the standards progress over here
This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

You guys wanted to know how far this thing can go boosted?
Well I just took the terminator hooked up the boosters and took it out past 19 miles! Now I just got to go get the **** thing[emoji41]View attachment 52490
What for mod do you have from the bird to the radio? I am sure you would have to have something on the bird to get back to the radio to tell you where the bird is. With just r/c to bird, you would loose where the bird is if it has no extra mods to boost signal back to the r/c

Yeah - this kind of question come up fairly often. One would think since it's two way communication, you'd need to mod both sides.

But if you add a really good controler antenna and do nothing to the bird side, it still boosts range for both the outgoing and receiving signals. It enables the controller to send out a stronger signal, but it also enables the controller to become a more sensitive receiver. Hence, it can pick up a weak signal that a lesser controller antenna would miss.

Can't you stick the amps on the back of the antennae or will that mess up the signal?
Check out the MaxxUAV amp mount. Looks way better and is super compact. Easy to remove if you need to.

Yeah I don't even know if I can top that one! Although I wasnt using my best batteries[emoji41]
I've heard rumors that the 19 dB panel the "extreme"is good for 40 miles! Although still have an issue of the horizon and having to climb higher and higher.

We'll find out when it gets here[emoji41]

If you don't mind , where can I get the extreme! and associated parts,I tried@fredz with 0 luck. waiting on ya'als test results also.you two are doing all of us a lot of good ,saving us a lot of time and money at your expense and TIME! Thankyou all.

DB do you feel you stay on target(drone) better with the tripod. I see you're not using a signal tracker to keep it on target. instead of just a rig strapped to you.
Hundred percent! Especially with these new antennas, just face it towards the horizon and leave it there

... also.you two are doing all of us a lot of good ,saving us a lot of time and money at your expense and TIME! Thankyou all.
+1000

Yes. Most long range guys keep their cards very close to the vest. But these guys share everything and that really raises the fun-level for the rest of us. DB in particular is one of the most friendly, selfless, and humble guys I've ever run across - online or off!

Reactions: sacooke and Jtrjr
+1000

Yes. Most long range guys keep their cards very close to the vest. But these guys share everything and that really raises the fun-level for the rest of us. DB in particular is one of the most friendly, selfless, and humble guys I've ever run across - online or off!
I'll double that Mark

Reactions: Mark The Droner
No point in holding cards close. This isn't a high stakes competition, it's a hobby. And besides, even with the right combination of gear, you still need to learn to "read the tea leaves". [emoji3]

No point in holding cards close. This isn't a high stakes competition, it's a hobby. And besides, even with the right combination of gear, you still need to learn to "read the tea leaves". [emoji3]
read the tea leaves, I going though the body parts. Just kidding. Thanks to a member I was able to barrow an antenna to do some testing with my P2v+.
After I get it going I'll be doing some posting over in the P2 area.

I think RG-58's are the best there is! How complicated to make them yourself, is it just a crimper?

Sorry for the late reply DB! I had another busy weekend...unfortunately, did NOT involve any flying time. :(

I use crimp style connectors, but you still have to solder. Similar to this video:

Reactions: dirtybum
read the tea leaves, I going though the body parts. Just kidding. Thanks to a member I was able to barrow an antenna to do some testing with my P2v+.
After I get it going I'll be doing some posting over in the P2 area.
Pop the P2 link up here when you post, so I know where to follow along or PM it to me

This is a tough one for me. I have the fpvlr kit with boosters on my q500 rc. It's great not to have to worry about signal, but it's made the rc much more of a rig, not to mention the extra battery to keep up with. I got the phantom for light bridge and thinking I don't have to **** around with antenna mods. I do fly with windsurfers, but that's not a mod, lol. I'll be running into situations where I'll have to push 3.5k' out and maybe even a bit more. I use Litchi and with the current sdk problems that dji hasn't fixed yet, you do not want to lose connection in focus mode, for instance - and I'd be using that a ton. So, I was considering the smaller dbs mod plate with boosters. That or this giant terminator plate that looks to be the ultimate, albeit akin to holding up a small wall while flying. Mods don't bother me too much while I fly but I don't always require a major ordeal for casual shorter distance flights. Unfortunately, when you commit to these mods you're in it for every flight. And that has me considering if stock with windsurfers with bird/rc LOS almost always would be dependable within 4k'. I'd love to stay stock. But I'd love to be confident in it with my distances which are considerably less than long distance warriors.

Any thoughts to offer for me to consider?

Just as you've said...it's a tough one. Now that I know that Maxxrange can perform just as good, if not better, than my boosted DBS (smaller one) and boosted FPVLR setups, I have to decide on the following:

1) Use just one antenna. Maxxrange....but would have to deal with the bulk. I could easily pack the antenna into my back pack but only if I remove it from the controller and also remove the bracket. It's a little inconvenient for me. The advantage though is that this is a light weight package and I don't have to deal with another battery.

2) Use my smaller DBS antenna boosted. It fits into my controller case and I don't have to removed anything. Just remove from case, attache my ipad, and I'm ready to fly. And just as simple to put away when done flying.

When I can find the time to fly more often, I will update you guys and let you know my experiences with these setups.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl