Maxx VS Terminator. Long distance antenna shootout!

Hahaha really? No cf props? I figured you did. My logic is: extra weight of big batteries put more stress on props and they flex. I like the rigidity of the cf props.

I've tried them I just didn't really like them.
And at the time I did not do a side-by-side comparison for flight times, but I've read posts that stated there wasn't much of a difference(flight time)
Now I'm going to have to give them another shot

And at the time I did not do a side-by-side comparison for flight times, but I've read posts that stated there wasn't much of a difference(flight time)

I never did side by side comparison but I just like the rigidity and I never noticed a negative effect.

Sounds like an other test of CF props compared to the standard 9450. Have either of you tried the 3 bladed props?

Can you do th
Hey SK, very windy today, but I launched towards my downtown from my driveway(which is not my ideal homepoint, but I wanted to test an obstructed flight path)
There is two miles of trees & fields before you get to full neighborhoods of houses & businesses! From that launch I had 3000 ft open space then a solid line of trees! I kept the UNboosted Terminator as low as 150' for as long as I could before the trees obstructed me. Once I got to the houses/businesses, I only noticed signal issues due to altitude/horizon obstructions! This was obvious because anytime the signal dipped if I climbed even 20' it would solve the issue. In my opinion, the distance I got from the obstructed horizon, flying over an inner city environment unboosted w/ the terminator panel exceeds or matches what I've gotten w/ my BOOSTED v-2 kit!
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters[/QUOTE

Hey SK, very windy today, but I launched towards my downtown from my driveway(which is not my ideal homepoint, but I wanted to test an obstructed flight path)
There is two miles of trees & fields before you get to full neighborhoods of houses & businesses! From that launch I had 3000 ft open space then a solid line of trees! I kept the UNboosted Terminator as low as 150' for as long as I could before the trees obstructed me. Once I got to the houses/businesses, I only noticed signal issues due to altitude/horizon obstructions! This was obvious because anytime the signal dipped if I climbed even 20' it would solve the issue. In my opinion, the distance I got from the obstructed horizon, flying over an inner city environment unboosted w/ the terminator panel exceeds or matches what I've gotten w/ my BOOSTED v-2 kit!
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters
Thanks
Can you do the exact same run with the Maxx Range both unboosted and boosted. It would be much appreciated. I am on the fence between the Terminator and the Maxx Range and if they are basically the same I will get the Maxx Range because its lighter and cheaper.

I can SK next time the wind allows that run, I think Eds test proved that the Maxxrange is every bit as capable of cutting through urban areas at low altitudes so if money and weight are some of your criteria I would just hit Fredz up for the Maxx and start flying, you wont be disappointed! But I will be happy to start running the Maxx next time I fly[emoji41]

Thanks DB. Imwaiting for your wind to calm down. Can I use Jakes Maxx Uav clean install kit and his boosted kit for either the Maxx Range or the Terminator ? Im assuming the connections are the same for all these antennas ? Is there something better out there as far as the basic mod clean install kit and boosted Sunham kit ?

I have Flytrex, I knew it was there the whole time and I knew it landed on its feet because the battery voltage was still running the whole time I was driving towards it[emoji41]
Flytrex is my blue security blanket
I've been using Flytrex since the P2 days and I don't know how to explain it but there is a different feeling when you lose visual with the Go app or lose video on Litchi missions and you can still track it using Flytrex's live tracking. Since Healthy Drones usually shows it as two flights once you regain video, Flytrex data gives you a better idea of what was happening when and where. That "feeling" of having that visual backup in your hand saves laundry costs for you underwear. :)
20160420_013303 (1).jpg

I've been using Flytrex since the P2 days and I don't know how to explain it but there is a different feeling when you lose visual with the Go app or lose video on Litchi missions and you can still track it using Flytrex's live tracking. Since Healthy Drones usually shows it as two flights once you regain video, Flytrex data gives you a better idea of what was happening when and where. That "feeling" of having that visual backup in your hand saves laundry costs for you underwear. :)
View attachment 52992
No need to explain it Jerry, "if you dont know,

Now you know"

Dope looking bird Jer!

I didn't go below 150 only because it's a residential area and besides trees, I didn't want people freaking out. I'll admit it was a shitty test. I rushed to get out there, was up against daylight and rain coming in. Plus once the field was occupied and I had to resort to a backup location this was my spot.
Did you try going south over the bay? You could probably almost make it the DC area before they shoot it down. :)

Did a terminator vs maxrange unboosted range check at 12.66 miles. The terminator locked onto the P3 and was able to start motors and get video (signal was patchy). Maxxrange did not lock on to the P3 (no green light on Tx). This is not conclusive. However this is the closest test we could do to compare gains of similar antennas
Fredz is amazing - he shipped the maxxrange real quick and followed by regular updates on shipping.

here is the signal score

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Reactions: dirtybum
Yeah its dope and he sells a lot of em, it didnt work for me cause i could not put a nutsert in the bottom(battery compartment) and use it on my tripod! But if yer going mobil & using that snap on DBS stainless bracket then you cant lose w/ that booster mount.
And w/ that big panel , that mount and boosters will look tucked away and clean[emoji41]
Can't you stick the amps on the back of the antennae or will that mess up the signal?

Reactions: Waxwings
I just checked out Fry's, 29.99 for 100 ft of RG58!!!
**** I could make cables for life w/that!!
I found this Website while searching for cables as I wanted longer ones to mount the antenna off the controller without losing much signal and these are RG58 with the correct connectors. I emailed them and they said even the 10' would have negligible signal loss at 2.4-2.5 MHz. The price isn't bad compared to some of the lower quality RG316 cables with connectors.

Can't you stick the amps on the back of the antennae or will that mess up the signal?
You can stick the amps on the back of the antenna and that will make it a compact set up like some of the pictures that Ed 209 has posted. However I rely on my bracket to hold my controller to my tripod, so whatever bracket I use I need to be able to put a nutsert into!

Reactions: liketogethigh
You can stick the amps on the back of the antenna and that will make it a compact set up like some of the pictures that Ed 209 has posted. However I rely on my bracket to hold my controller to my tripod, so whatever bracket I use I need to be able to put a nutsert into!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tpren3