Lume Cube too heavy-motors are working too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to fly with mine! I'm guessing you can see far.

The polar pro kit is ridiculous. I would never put that much gear on my $1400 drone! It's insane.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
How true. I would never dress my drone up, in all that much stuff.
I absolutely prefer my system, and it beats all else. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Where can I pick up a Set?

Sent from my Galaxy Tab A using PhantomPilots Mobile App

Tested my lume cubes last night. Got out to about 2 miles before I thought I should turn back because of low battery. Ended up running out of juice 3 blks from my home and landing on someone else's roof. This won't be a pleasant knock on the door.....

But I could very well see the cubes from 2 miles out and I would think I could see them from 3 miles. At the very least it helps you know where you are without trying to rely on your screen. And at the very most it qualifies for the FAA requirement for 3nm site distance.

Also, I took someone's advice and pointed one forward and one backward so I could see it coming and going. I noticed I could not see the strobe as good as a steady light.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Tested my lume cubes last night. Got out to about 2 miles before I thought I should turn back because of low battery. Ended up running out of juice 3 blks from my home and landing on someone else's roof. This won't be a pleasant knock on the door.....

But I could very well see the cubes from 2 miles out and I would think I could see them from 3 miles. At the very least it helps you know where you are without trying to rely on your screen. And at the very most it qualifies for the FAA requirement for 3nm site distance.

Also, I took someone's advice and pointed one forward and one backward so I could see it coming and going. I noticed I could not see the strobe as good as a steady light.
It's three staute miles, to put a fine point on it. Remember, it's for manned aircraft to see you, not to enable you to fly multiple miles out and be able to see your drone without a waiver to do so... to, you know, avoid people landing on rooftops and causing problems and possible lawsuits. Enjoy your cubes and improved sight but by all means, would you please avoid making it harder for the rest of us to get actual waivers for such activity? Thank you.

Lume Cube lights aside, the Return indicator on the power bar in the Go app should have worked as always (indicated the return to home point, the "H" on the power line). On my rig, the Go app will tell me it's time to turn around and to cancel RTH if I really don't want to.

Was this just a mistake on your part? Did you not account for stronger winds on the return journey, or were you just not minding the power / return to home indicators?

34ae540c739689d7adabd5d0908a80e9.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Without the Cubes you could only get a BETTER Picture, or at least the same Picture...

Contrary to what some pseudo-photographers think, flash or contínuos source of light, most times must not be used outside at night, unless in special conditions or if a special efect is to be obtained:
like freezing someone or something at close range, against the background (and camera must be manualy set to capture de background light, so in more or less long, steady, exposition),
or manualy multi flashing various angles of a buiding or anything from a tripod (1 photo with iris open or remote multi snaps from the same position to process in Photoshop).
These are just exemples.

Light comming from the camera, at night, most times induces exposition errors or completly ruins an otherwise good shot... specialy if you do not manualy set at least aperture, shutter speed and iso.
Flashes (and reflectors if possible) are specialy usefull outdoor during the day !! To cut hard shadows...

In what concerns to drones, first of all flying at night is forbiden in most countries... in fact using lights at night is the best way to get spoted and folowed home...

This said, any kind of light in a drone serves solely to the controller keep sight of it, yes: during the day; and to that purpose must be seen from any angle.
I doubt this can be obtained with lume cubes in their actual configuration, because they are focused, directional lights (although very bright, I agree)
But their use in drones, is just a forced adaptation to obtain some quota in the market. Maybe with 4 of them... pointing front, back, left and right... but then they're too heavy... and expensive...

BTW: Lume cubes may have some nich usage in photography or vídeo, but IMHO, in most situations the same can be obtained with conventional and multy capable other sources of light. Not to say they are way too expensive... to a fancy led Flashlight torch.

Several photographers (not as amazing as you I'm sure), use Lume cubes and other light sources mounted to drones to move the light around the subject or to even track the subject.

They also work to keep LOS at least to 3 miles. I tested it and yes you can clearly see the drone from miles away.

Not to mention giving light where light doesn't exist. Like at night. LumeCubes are great. Normally you'd see nothing, and the lights light the way. Pun intended.

Also, on the picture above... The cubes were on, point same angle as my camera and I agree probably did little for aiding the shot. It was just a cool photo I got while testing the cubes.

But I'm just a pseudo-photographer! Actually I could careless about photography. I just like flying my drone miles and miles away. For fun. To see if I can.

...And at the very most it qualifies for the FAA requirement for 3nm site distance.

Just to clarify...the FAA doesn't require anti-collision on your drone to be seen at 3 miles unless you operate during civil twilight, and the 3 miles can be reduced. During daylight operations anti-collision lights are not required. Here is a quote from AC 107-2.

" 5.16.1. Civil Twilight Operations. When sUAS operations are conducted during civil twilight, the small UA must be equipped with anticollision lights that are capable of being visible for at least 3 sm. However, the remote PIC may reduce the visible distance of the lighting less than 3 sm during a given flight if he or she has determined that it would be in the interest of safety to do so, for example if it impacts his or her night vision. sUAS not operated during civil twilight are not required to be equipped with anti-collision lighting."

Also, this is for Part 107 operations. Hobbyists aren't operating commercially so Part 107 doesn't apply to them.

Lume Cube lights aside, the Return indicator on the power bar in the Go app should have worked as always (indicated the return to home point, the "H" on the power line). On my rig, the Go app will tell me it's time to turn around and to cancel RTH if I really don't want to.

Was this just a mistake on your part? Did you not account for stronger winds on the return journey, or were you just not minding the power / return to home indicators?
The GO app doesn't know about the extra weight the quad is carrying due to the Lume Cubes. RedHotPoker claims he still gets 20 minutes, but my tests have shown a definite loss of around 4-5 mins from 100% when flying with two Lume Cubes.

Anyone who adds so much extra weight and then just flies 2 miles out doesn't really deserve any sympathy. Surely P3 quad pilots should know better and fly in close proximity to first confirm endurance.

Reactions: JATO757
Several photographers (not as amazing as you I'm sure), use Lume cubes and other light sources mounted to drones to move the light around the subject or to even track the subject.

They also work to keep LOS at least to 3 miles. I tested it and yes you can clearly see the drone from miles away.

Not to mention giving light where light doesn't exist. Like at night. LumeCubes are great. Normally you'd see nothing, and the lights light the way. Pun intended.

Also, on the picture above... The cubes were on, point same angle as my camera and I agree probably did little for aiding the shot. It was just a cool photo I got while testing the cubes.

But I'm just a pseudo-photographer! Actually I could careless about photography. I just like flying my drone miles and miles away. For fun. To see if I can.

I've seen drone-mounted flashes used to reach otherwise inacessible places (where lume cubes would be of no use). And resulted in excelente photos... (multi-flashing the scene from several points)
And I''ve seen photos of drones used like a moving tripod for lights, even surrounding models, which is dangerous not to say ridiculous.
But I've never seen a good photo taken by a drone with lume cubes...

It looks like I ofended you, but it was not my intention. As I said, it was just my humble opinion (IMHO), and I was not talking about you.
Just expected to clarify a few erroneous things already said here. Up to each one to learn or not.

Drone cameras are not adequate to take photos at night, although sometimes the result is so-so to publish on the web (if you manualy set the camera exposure and/or have enough luck with the wind, and don't print too large).
But most time you either get blur or grain in excess.

And I'm not na "amazing" photographer (I pass the sarcasm). But I know what I'm talking about....
BTW: Excelent photography can be done with a drone... and a DSLR camera.
Obviously not a DJI Phantom/Inspire

But I've never seen a good photo taken by a drone with lume cubes...

I do not profess to be an experienced photographer, but I have done extensive testing with the Lume Cubes and I agree that they will not add much value for night photography with the Phantom 3, unless one gets the quad dangerously close to the subject.

The Lume Cubes are superb for LOS visibility of the quad, day and night, and they are very good for S&R. I have only tested the latter in open spaces and over water and have found them very useful, especially so when tracking a moving subject.
They are obviously also very useful for lighting up a tricky landing area at night.

Reactions: TheLightSpeedz
The GO app doesn't know about the extra weight the quad is carrying due to the Lume Cubes.

I doesn't have to. It also doesn't measure headwinds or other factors that can affect battery drain.

It still knows how much power you used, how long it took to get you there, and so can calculate when to tell you to turn around regardless of what conditions brought the battery down.

If the craft is bearing a weight so large that half the battery was drained in 4 minutes, it's still going to tell you to turn around when it figures you have 4 minutes of power left.

Anyone who adds so much extra weight and then just flies 2 miles out doesn't really deserve any sympathy. Surely P3 quad pilots should know better and fly in close proximity to first confirm endurance.

Agreed. The OP probably wasn't paying attention to the indicators. If he didn't have auto RTH turned off for the "H" point, then he cancelled it during flight. If he did have have it turned off, he wasn't paying attention to his power indicators.

That said:

Because I'm a photographer that would also possibly use these with DLSR and GoPro cameras, I'm thinking of getting some. I'm thinking that just because you have them doesn't mean you're always using them. Fly without them when you don't need them and enjoy the longest flight time, or use them for a project that requires them and accept the lower flight time.

However ...

RedHotPoker claims he still gets 20 minutes, but my tests have shown a definite loss of around 4-5 mins from 100% when flying with two Lume Cubes.

This is still a concern. I would be interested to hear what your max flight times are with 2 cubes flying around in optimal conditions.

Edit: PS: I am currently using the Strobon standalone LEDs (1 white on front, 1 red on back). They help a bit, but not much. 3 miles? No way. At best, they help me reacquire sight of the craft during the day when I look away and then try to find it again, but that's still when it's only a few hundred feet away.

Last edited:
@Jorge Flora, Having this drone, must be my blessing then. I don't thrash about, but try to fly gentle. With the cubes on, of course I would expect to get less airtime, but the trade off is well worth it all for me. As stated, if the cubes aren't needed, fly without them. I enjoy the relative distances I can go and still maintain VLOS. The drone and DSLR photography uses are endless..
Anyway, I'm not into debate or argument. If the cubes aren't for you or your needs, buy what suits you. Get the Polor Pro stuff.

What ever works in your favor, is the best, you can do.
Here's another fine example of Lume Cube brilliance. Hahaha
A STUDIO IN YOUR POCKET WITH LUME CUBE
The Complete Lighting Package in the Palm of Your Hand

A Studio in Your Pocket with Lume Cube

Anyways... The pros knows!

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: NRJ
@Jorge Flora, Having this drone, must be my blessing then. I don't thrash about, but try to fly gentle. With the cubes on, of course I would expect to get less airtime, but the trade off is well worth it all for me. As stated, if the cubes aren't needed, fly without them. I enjoy the relative distances I can go and still maintain VLOS. The drone and DSLR photography uses are endless..
Anyway, I'm not into debate or argument. If the cubes aren't for you or your needs, buy what suits you. Get the Polor Pro stuff.

What ever works in your favor, is the best, you can do.
Here's another fine example of Lume Cube brilliance. Hahaha
A STUDIO IN YOUR POCKET WITH LUME CUBE
The Complete Lighting Package in the Palm of Your Hand

A Studio in Your Pocket with Lume Cube

Anyways... The pros knows!

RedHotPoker

Not a single word about drones, here...

BTW: Lee Varis does not work for free. And he is in fact ADVERTISING the lume cubes. Even with discounts...
Probably would never know about them if they were not sent him for that effect...

Anyway, you like the cubes, use them for whatever you like. I don't and will not.

It's funny how you imediatly get agressive against anyone who doesn't share your ideals...
and clap hands to those who buy, and try to convince more and more people to do it...
If people at Lume Cube don't pay already for your efforts and "advertising", they should: It looks like you are trying to sell their product.
Sad to them (and maybe you), I think it does not justify even half of it's price (not everyone has Lee Varis budget)
My opinion. Whatever you say will not modify it ( Remember I'm not trying to modify yours or anyone's )
EOF for me.

I think it does not justify even half of it's price
Really? I paid at least $300US for each speedlight strobe in my photo kit and I have three. Nikon makes fancier strobes for about twice that price, and a much smaller / less powerful one for about half that. The latter, cheaper strobe is still 3 times the price of a Lume Cube.

So if all you want are drone beacon lights, maybe there a little pricey (though there are no competitive lights with the kind of lumens these have), but if you're going to use them for photography as well, they're not prohibitively expensive at all.

Let's not even start talking about actual studio strobes, which will cost you (with stands and other basic / appropriate accessories) about $1,000US for two lights (edit: and that's for the budget brand like Alien Bees--pro level studio gear is far, far more costlier than that).

PS: I'm just a hobbyist photographer, not a pro.

Nikon makes fancier strobes for about twice that price, and a much smaller / less powerful one for about half that. The latter, cheaper strobe is still 3 times the price of a Lume Cube.

Well...
You compare Nikon Speeedlights with Led Lume Cubes.
I can compare Lume Cubes with Led flashlights.

btw: Although I started with a Nikon FM, some 30 or more years ago, since my first A1 I prefer Canon.
Again, each one with what each one likes the more.

PS: Neither am I

You compare Nikon Speeedlights with Led Lume Cubes.
Not so small correction: I compared the costs, not anything else.

For a photographer, when you compare the cost of a Lume Cube against the cost of typical strobes, they're not expensive.

FYI: decent LED flashlights can cost a lot more than 1 Lume Cube. I bought a 1000 Lumen Fenix PD35 for $70 a few weeks back, not counting the specialized 18650 batteries and charger for it and the (another $20).

As another poster pointed out, you can get $8 LED flashlights on Amazon, but I have a tip for you: don't drop one.

Chris

Reactions: greylorn
Not a single word about drones, here...

BTW: Lee Varis does not work for free. And he is in fact ADVERTISING the lume cubes. Even with discounts...
Probably would never know about them if they were not sent him for that effect...

Anyway, you like the cubes, use them for whatever you like. I don't and will not.

It's funny how you imediatly get agressive against anyone who doesn't share your ideals...
and clap hands to those who buy, and try to convince more and more people to do it...
If people at Lume Cube don't pay already for your efforts and "advertising", they should: It looks like you are trying to sell their product.
Sad to them (and maybe you), I think it does not justify even half of it's price (not everyone has Lee Varis budget)
My opinion. Whatever you say will not modify it ( Remember I'm not trying to modify yours or anyone's )
EOF for me.
Not a single drone word, exactly. My point. These cubes are versatile. I hope they continue to provide photographers with light & with much inspiration, ;-)

RedHotPoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z