Lume Cube too heavy-motors are working too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll dm you when they come in.

In the mean time you can channel your inner artist and be creative. I use a small 1 inch square gel cut out, fixed with gaffers tape and it works like a charm.

Lume Cubes are a very bright Photo and Video light. They are intended to light up a scene for all cameras especially those with small sensors. They work in any condition, and are way more than a drone light.

I fly a P3 Advanced and 2 Lume cubes almost every day.

Sorry to say but it seems like you are talking about something you know nothing about.

Watch the videos, do some research.
As you said, politely, not experienced (talking through the straw hat).
I love these cubes, and am so thankful they exist. It's brought my average drone photography to another realm. Orientation isn't even a thought anymore. I used to dread looking down at the tablet, for battery info or adjust camera parameters, and get lost, but with my Lume Cubes, I can let go of the sticks and go for a quick coffee. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: DronerLee
I fly every day with Lume Cubes. The phantom motors are more than capable enough to carry the cubes. The only downside is reduced flight time by a couple minutes.
Here here!! Hahaha
Well yeah, two thumbs up... Thanks not that I need any positive reassurance, perhaps some others commenting do though. Ha

RedHotPoker

Do me a favor and PM me when they get the new aluminum and gels. I will wait till then before I buy a set. For the time being I have the polar pro light setup. Not very bright but thank goodness I have that little map icon down there with the arrow to find my way back if I lose orientation, works every time. Funny I've never heard anyone talk about using the map icon to find their way back. PCH ONE here I come.

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Yes, Sure will. I'm looking forward to that day. Should be released hopefully very soon. ;-)
Keep a look out here as I gradually update this thread. Leave a comment to reply to..
Drone Lighting for Awesome Photography/Visibility
Thanks for keeping the interest. Yeah, they are fantastic additions to a drone flight kit. Awesome way to prolong the day. Ha

RedHotPoker

I think you should be using white strobes since red and blue are usually associated with fixed wing aircraft indicating left and right in forward motion. On a heli, directional lights are meaningless and could serve to confuse. If you intend the lights for decoration rather than a safety feature, your drone simply becomes a flying Christmas tree, not suitable for twilight flight, which is how we "assume" you intend to use it. As a practical matter, a white strobe on top would be most suitable. In my own testing I have found it does not seem to affect the GPS which is inside at that area on most DJI products.
Color is helpful for orientation for the drone pilot. I chose to incorporate both color and white strobe. I see the color but manned AC will see the strobe at distance. I think you can accomplish the same thing by pointing cubes up in strobe mode as far as manned ac is concerned. But I'd guess that for you the drone pilot, they would become ineffective as a visual. In that case, you'd need to fly with two- one pointed up and the other pointed down. However, it has not been demonstrated that the cube can be fully seen off axis from every angle. If you can only see it head on, it becomes less effective in strobe mode. Part of the usefulness of the ds30 strobe is that it becomes a visual aid for the drone pilot too with a full upper hemisphere, even from the ground.

Question about the cube. How long does it take to charge them from drained? It's having to charge two of them all the time that creates another charging routine which doesn't appeal to me. It also hasn't been absolutely confirmed that once you set cubes to strobe mode from an app, it sticks on that mode for every power up indefinitely until you change it to something else.

And here's another thought about how hot reportedly they get. If you're running full blast light mode, can they cause a fire in dry grass or leafs conditions in the event of a crash? As unlikely as that might seem, it's a possibility that somehow should be investigated and confirmed one way or the other. I can envision a scenario where the drone goes down and the lights stay on and the product stays hot. Hot enough to cause fire in contact with dry brush? I would hope not.

This is how I handled it with a simple strobe. So far, so good. This is for anti collision, not for bright constant on light.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: maxwell smart
I can't wait to fly with mine! I'm guessing you can see far.

The polar pro kit is ridiculous. I would never put that much gear on my $1400 drone! It's insane.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: HWCM
I can't wait to fly with mine! I'm guessing you can see far.

The polar pro kit is ridiculous. I would never put that much gear on my $1400 drone! It's insane.

The polar pro might be ridiculous for right now but it works for me and probably weighs less till the new aluminum cube with it's color gels is out. Can't wait!

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think the polar pro weighs less, also I don't think having anything over the GPS panel in the lid makes sense

I think you should be using white strobes since red and blue are usually associated with fixed wing aircraft indicating left and right in forward motion. ....

Red and Green, not "red and blue"...

Right...

I'll dm you when they come in.

In the mean time you can channel your inner artist and be creative. I use a small 1 inch square gel cut out, fixed with gaffers tape and it works like a charm.

Lume Cubes are a very bright Photo and Video light. They are intended to light up a scene for all cameras especially those with small sensors. They work in any condition, and are way more than a drone light.

I fly a P3 Advanced and 2 Lume cubes almost every day.

Sorry to say but it seems like you are talking about something you know nothing about.

Watch the videos, do some research.

How in the world do you get a GPS signal with all of that on top of the quad right where the GPS module is? If I put my hand over my quad I loose GPS signal. I know the signal will permeate plastic, but you have that battery for the polar pro, which looks way to complicated, But you also have that strobe thing on there, which points up? Why? Manned Aircraft above you? Unless you are flying near an airport when are there manned aircraft anywhere near you, they would be thousands of feet above you, right?
Any who, you definitely can not miss that. LOL
Anyway, your GPS signal has to be suffering.
I don't think the polar pro weighs less, also I don't think having anything over the GPS panel in the lid makes sense

Did my first flight with lumecubes
b943c43ffb31154160a3901a1602b849.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I don't think so... the lighting was pointed same as the camera. Without the lights you could hardly see anything

How in the world do you get a GPS signal with all of that on top of the quad right where the GPS module is? If I put my hand over my quad I loose GPS signal. I know the signal will permeate plastic, but you have that battery for the polar pro, which looks way to complicated, But you also have that strobe thing on there, which points up? Why? Manned Aircraft above you? Unless you are flying near an airport when are there manned aircraft anywhere near you, they would be thousands of feet above you, right?
Any who, you definitely can not miss that. LOL
Anyway, your GPS signal has to be suffering.
Are you asking me these questions? Anyway, I usually get 11 or 12 sats on the ground and anywhere from 15-17 sats in the air. I've never had a problem with gps. The human hand and plastic appear to be two very different things when it comes to blocking gps. Aluminum foil isn't good either. The strobe is anti collision and is a requirement when flying at night as a licensed RPIC with a daylight only waiver. At this moment, my bird is better prepared than I am, lol. 107 testing shortly.

I don't think so... the lighting was pointed same as the camera. Without the lights you could hardly see anything

So without the lume cube you could not see the light off in the distance? I find that hard to believe. I bet you could get the exact same picture without the lume cube. In order to light up that much area around that parking garage, you would need a huge flood light. The 100 watt LED floodlight in my back yard does not light up that big of an area.

No I could, I was just saying I had them on in the same direction of the camera, and it seemed to brighten the light up a little. I was just snapping photos.

As far as the cubes go... You can see them for 3 miles **** near. I have never been able to see my drone that far away.

They spotlighted the desert as it flew back

I'm wearing my Wide grin tonight.. Hahaha

As more people experience the Lume Cubes they are learning how powerful and useful they can actually be.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: gamike
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers