Lume Cube too heavy-motors are working too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, some may want it for VLOS to satisfy the FAA requirements of keeping it within VLOS. This should do a good job of that. Eyesight is not very far, and if you look down at your monitor and look back up, oops, gone. Where is it? I'm thinking the Lume Cubes would help you find it pretty quick. But, that is only a guess as I don't have mine yet.

Wait hold on- the answer on the strobing is YES... Set it and it stays!

As for the orientation I haven't used them for that, but I have used them to see where my bird Is... Which I can't do day or night 2 miles out... With them I can!

I haven't even tried to use them in the daylight... I want to, I just haven't. It's not important to me. I fly out of sight in the day, and I use the telemetry to find my way home.

At night I like having them for the return flight so I can see where I am, and where I am going. It's much easier to fly.

In the day I don't need them. I can almost keep eyes on my bird to 1500' away, so I think the cubes would make 2,000' easy

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Thanks for double confirming the strobe setting! I appreciate that. Actually I do remember Red too saying it did, somewhere around 6 pages back, lol, I'm satisfied with the answer- thank you. As for daylight, I'm not looking for bird orientation with this. I too look down and mostly rely on our very feature rich dji app, as well as litchi. In fact for day flights I'm almost always flying a litchi mission for filming. If I have my bird in sight at 1,500 feet out, all I have to do is look down at telemetry or the map and when I look back up it's gone. I can't find it again. I'm looking for the cube in strobe mode to simply help me spot the bird again in the day sky, when I lose it from sight. Not orientation, but simply reacquiring its position in the sky. If anyone happens to confirm that in strobe mode they can easily do that during the day to around 3,000 feet out (the furthest I usually fly my bird at any given time) I would LOVE to hear about and most definitely, a 10 second video of it would be awesome because after all, we all have different sight ability. I have a hunch the cube can do it, but I want to avoid close to a 200 dollar purchase on just a hunch if I can help it.

Yes, Lume Cubes can be seen easily on a sunny clear afternoon, beyond 2Miles away, and that's with the strobe mode, is what I'm talking about.

It's hard to believe, until you see them, in person. They may seem priced on the high side, only until you have a pair and can feel and see their impressive high quality.
Why would they be any cheaper?

RedHotPoker

Yes, Lume Cubes can be seen easily on a sunny clear afternoon, beyond 2Miles away, and that's with the strobe mode, is what I'm talking about.

It's hard to believe, until you see them, in person. They may seem priced on the high side, only until you have a pair and can feel and see their impressive high quality.

RedHotPoker
You've actually done that red and confirm? I had the most trouble seeing my current strobe the other day in a bright but hazy sky. Sunny, but hazy. My only other concern is that these seem like they'd be very directional. It seems like if I had one pointing directly to the rear, if the bird is flying sideways to me out there for a length of time I could lose sight of it in daylight. That might be more forgiving at night. It looks like light, or strobe as I'm referring to, from one side of a cube- directional. Maybe the best way is facing straight down for daylight vlos aid. I think I may pick up one of these. The money thrown at this never ends, lol. Next week, 150 bucks for the 107 test. I really stopped counting long ago. It just never ends. Thanks, man.

Also I didn't use them in the day, because it's extra weight, and you do notice the extra weight.

I wish their mount went across the back of the bird so you could buy one.... Pointing back? I'm sure we could get someone to make one

RedHotPoker
Sure, but is there actually video proof of this :)

Oh boy. Can you just buy a set? If you don't like them send it back!

Shhh (don't tell anyone), I'm teasing Red :)
Although it would be interesting to see a distant daylight video of all applicable LED's available.
Strobes are on my MUST have list after looking down at my tablet the other day, then looking up and tracking a learjet in the sky for a couple seconds before I realized that's not my P3P LOL

You could build your own cheap search light for about $25. I have a 100 watt led search light I have built. It is insainly bright. But it is not suited for a quad as it uses a computer heat sink and fan and power inverter. But you can buy a 10W led and led driver and run it off of a small 2C lipo.

Really? Why do you think that happens? I wouldn't have thought that to be a problem. Interesting.

I agree they are way overpriced but my opinion is that these were really for the photography crowd and of course photography gear is pricey. They retotrofitted it for drone use, it seems to me. I think for search and rescue these are just amazing. I would choose the cube in a minute for that. But for a simple strobe for aircraft orientation light, they could and in my opinion should design something more specific- smaller and light weight. But that's just my opinion. If it weren't so expensive for two cubes, which I believe is needed for proper balance for flight, I'd just buy the things and try them for myself and quit the questions and conjecture. But two of these is no impulse buy, so it makes it tougher to just buy them. If I do, you can bet I'll pass along my thoughts.
[/QUOTE]

I also have a 100watt LED and find that my light and my buck converter stay cool with just a little graphics card heat sink since the fans are blasting it with air constantly.

Try 9,000 lumens! It looks like a police helicopter is above you.

100 Watt LED Spotlight!!!

You are kinda autist, or pathetic, or both.
And now you forced me to return here and rectify you.

"Your choices are your own", you say, but from the first word you wrote, you have done nothing but try to impose YOUR choices to everyone, including misleading, unsuported, and/or wrong statements or arguments
btw: you should pay more attention: I never publicised strobon or any other brand here. Never used lights on my drones...

But they're all BLACK, including my P3P (got it painted).
A dark color doubles VLOS... ( white is a stupid choice from DJI )

Another lost opotunity to be quiet...
I don't expect you to recognize the portrayed (this was part of a study for a back cover - although not the final image).
A portrait must reveal something about the portrayed personality (and smoking can be part of it): Something you should know if you ever plan to photograph more than inanimate objects.
Besides, the theme was apropriate in this case.
This particular image was taken at ISO125 1,6s f/5.6. Some 15 years ago, as you may see by the filename.
In order to be myself, I'd need to have at least 3 hands, and a very log arm, no?
The portrayed is now close to 60 years, is alive and well, and although I don't see him frequently, next time it happens I'll transmit your concerns (almost can ear him laugh already)

Why don't you post some pictures took by your drone with the cubes?
That would be informative

I agree on the color. I painted mine a dark metallic color and can see it from twice as far away during the day now.

Reactions: Huskerfan
This may answer some questions posted here.
Actual footage from the guys at lume cubes (edited the relevant parts and slowed motion to 1/4)
Even with red/greed drone lights still perfectly visible, lume cubes are not seen, or can be hardly seen, as far as they're not pointing directly to the observer.

I'm not sure if a youtube video can adequately show us what a lume cube looks like relative to seeing one in a real live setting with our real live eyes...

Reactions: RedHotPoker
There won't be any Lume Cube freebies handed out.. That's unlikely.
But them doubter folks already have it figured out, for themselves. I would just let it go. Enjoy your strobon and or LED flashlights...

Enough banging my head on the wall, for you, to them without true experience.

RedHotPoker

This thread has just died of interest to me. See ya..

Deleting more posts without an explanation. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

This thread has just died of interest to me. See ya..

Deleting more posts without an explanation. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
I will send you a pm RHP . Their is an explanation .And we don't talk about moderation in post you know that .

Just got my Lume Cubes today. Put them on and out I went for a joy ride. I got in my usual testing area and in a place where I had a clear line of site. I put the Cube on the left facing forwards (the direction of the camera). The other on the right, I put facing back (towards the battery). I set the back to a 1Hz Strobe (continuous flashing). Took her up to about 185 ft. Headed forward until I could no longer see the flashing light. For my eyes that was about 2700 ft. However, if I set the flash to flash much quicker, I may have been able to see it further. Then I stayed where I was, turned the aircraft around and could see the steady Cube much better. BTW, both were set to 1500 Lumens. Then I flew backward out to 4000 ft. from where I was. I could barely see it. But, since I knew where it was, I could look down, and then look up again and find it even then. Awesome. I usually don't fly that far, but it was a great test. It would not do any good to get a video because I don't think it would be able to see it either.

There is more power going to the motors even on a hover, but that is normal for any motor hauling more than what is normal for that motor. Many of you have battery mods too. More weight, more drag on the motor. Same thing. I didn't find any problem in it's handling with the Cubes on. Yes, it did use the battery faster. Not that much to where you can't get done what you are doing. Depends on what you are doing. If you are doing an endurance run, don't use them. Use them for what they are good for. They are good for many applications. I did notice also, that I was able to use the app on my cell to turn them on and set them up. But, when I came back from my flight, I was not able to re-sync to the Cubes. Not a big issue, I just turned them off. Once I restart the app, no problem syncing.

Now that I have them, I can only imagine what it can do for photography. I love em. I give them two bird thumbs up!

Reactions: TheLightSpeedz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart