Lume Cube too heavy-motors are working too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my Lume Cubes today. Put them on and out I went for a joy ride. I got in my usual testing area and in a place where I had a clear line of site. I put the Cube on the left facing forwards (the direction of the camera). The other on the right, I put facing back (towards the battery). I set the back to a 1Hz Strobe (continuous flashing). Took her up to about 185 ft. Headed forward until I could no longer see the flashing light. For my eyes that was about 2700 ft. However, if I set the flash to flash much quicker, I may have been able to see it further. Then I stayed where I was, turned the aircraft around and could see the steady Cube much better. BTW, both were set to 1500 Lumens. Then I flew backward out to 4000 ft. from where I was. I could barely see it. But, since I knew where it was, I could look down, and then look up again and find it even then. Awesome. I usually don't fly that far, but it was a great test. It would not do any good to get a video because I don't think it would be able to see it either.

There is more power going to the motors even on a hover, but that is normal for any motor hauling more than what is normal for that motor. Many of you have battery mods too. More weight, more drag on the motor. Same thing. I didn't find any problem in it's handling with the Cubes on. Yes, it did use the battery faster. Not that much to where you can't get done what you are doing. Depends on what you are doing. If you are doing an endurance run, don't use them. Use them for what they are good for. They are good for many applications. I did notice also, that I was able to use the app on my cell to turn them on and set them up. But, when I came back from my flight, I was not able to re-sync to the Cubes. Not a big issue, I just turned them off. Once I restart the app, no problem syncing.

Now that I have them, I can only imagine what it can do for photography. I love em. I give them two bird thumbs up!

My experiences are very similar. The strobe is harder to see than the constant!

Good review!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: NRJ
Just got my Lume Cubes today. Put them on and out I went for a joy ride. I got in my usual testing area and in a place where I had a clear line of site. I put the Cube on the left facing forwards (the direction of the camera). The other on the right, I put facing back (towards the battery). I set the back to a 1Hz Strobe (continuous flashing). Took her up to about 185 ft. Headed forward until I could no longer see the flashing light. For my eyes that was about 2700 ft. However, if I set the flash to flash much quicker, I may have been able to see it further. Then I stayed where I was, turned the aircraft around and could see the steady Cube much better. BTW, both were set to 1500 Lumens. Then I flew backward out to 4000 ft. from where I was. I could barely see it. But, since I knew where it was, I could look down, and then look up again and find it even then. Awesome. I usually don't fly that far, but it was a great test. It would not do any good to get a video because I don't think it would be able to see it either.

There is more power going to the motors even on a hover, but that is normal for any motor hauling more than what is normal for that motor. Many of you have battery mods too. More weight, more drag on the motor. Same thing. I didn't find any problem in it's handling with the Cubes on. Yes, it did use the battery faster. Not that much to where you can't get done what you are doing. Depends on what you are doing. If you are doing an endurance run, don't use them. Use them for what they are good for. They are good for many applications. I did notice also, that I was able to use the app on my cell to turn them on and set them up. But, when I came back from my flight, I was not able to re-sync to the Cubes. Not a big issue, I just turned them off. Once I restart the app, no problem syncing.

Now that I have them, I can only imagine what it can do for photography. I love em. I give them two bird thumbs up!
Thanks for that review! That was very helpful. I assume it was daylight? If the bird can be seen and re-seen on strobe at that distance, that would work for me. I would probably choose a quicker strobe and brighter setting. I assume in strobe mode you save at least some battery power so maybe it would be ok to go brighter. How long do they take to charge? I think I remember reading 90 minutes if they are very low. Not super thrilled with charging all the time but I could deal. Does the app tell you how much power they have left so you can check them whenever? Do you think flying with only one is too much of an imbalance? I have a feeling it would be. Anyway, thanks for the review!

Thanks for that review! That was very helpful. I assume it was daylight? If the bird can be seen and re-seen on strobe at that distance, that would work for me. I would probably choose a quicker strobe and brighter setting. I assume in strobe mode you save at least some battery power so maybe it would be ok to go brighter. How long do they take to charge? I think I remember reading 90 minutes if they are very low. Not super thrilled with charging all the time but I could deal. Does the app tell you how much power they have left so you can check them whenever? Do you think flying with only one is too much of an imbalance? I have a feeling it would be. Anyway, thanks for the review!

It does tell you and there are multiple strobe settings. Also power level output.

At 60% is where I ran mine and I could see it for miles

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Thanks guys, Gee whiz, now I feel like I want to go flying tonight.
I have an errand to run, but could bring the drone with me, stop on the way back do a couple batteries worth of passion...Yes, I Love my drone, & adore my Lume Cubes. . . a Marriage made in Heaven...
Speaking of Heaven, I need a "shirt tune" while I get dressed up. or down. Suit or tux...
What ever,,, clean underpants and socks.... ;-)

Yup, & my Pointed tan shoes...

Have a safe weekend friends, and foe. Ha
Love you guys man.

RedHotPoker

Yes, it was in the daytime. Remember, the strobe (especially if set to a faster strobe) may be able to be seen further. I'm guessing at least 3000 ft. The max you can get out of the little jewels is 1500 lumens which is what I had them set to. The specs say at full power (1500 lumen) lasts about 20 plus minutes. Mixed use is 2 plus hours (hard to do on a drone even with Bluetooth). Remember, Bluetooth usually has a range of only 33 ft. Charging time is 90 minutes if drained. I got them at 50% charge and it only took about 30 minutes to charge at that point. It is also waterproof to 100 ft. Pretty impressive. Yes the app does have a place to check the percentage used. Only problem is that the app has to be within that Bluetooth 33 ft range. This would be mostly for probably ground photography or really close drone range photography. Haha. I think you are right, one would be an imbalance for the AC. It would probably handle it, but personally, I wouldn't chance it myself. You do get a discount by buying 2 cubes. But then that pays for the mounting brackets which are really sturdy. Hope this helps.

Lume Cube specs lie.
Luminous flux is 804 Lumens, not 1500 (lab tested).
At full output, 20/21 minutes is just enough for one P3 / P4 battery ... Any serious DJI pilot have 2, 3, or more batteries to use in sequence in the same session...

The Cubes are no novelty.
They've been around for the last 2 years, and are mere adaptations of other high intensity led apliances.
Labeled as a gadget and directed at smartphones / iphone photography, with a blink to portrait photo, used 3 leds and could be bought in several colors. Had very little acceptance.

Around May this year, they got restiled, and adopted a market campain attempting to captivate serious photographers. Lost the colors, and adopted one single cree led, but creators kept saying they delivered 1500 lumens, which they actualy don't.
Are now also trying to get into the niche market of drone lights, with the inclusion of 3d printed mounts for the DJI P3/P4.

Apart from the weight added, subsequent drop in speed and flight time, and added strain to the motors of a non lift oriented drone, there is a potential danger that can lead to a complete lost of the beloved P3/P4 (and Cubes):
Cubes have magnets, that alow them to stick to metalic structures... Drones depend on a clean magnetic field to establish they position, with a calibrated compass (P4 has 2, to minimize the risk, but both can be affected)
Any error here, is prone to what is know as fly away...

If someone is interested in specialized lights for compact drones, can look for
- Fiilex Aereal light AL250 (200W Tungsten Equivalent Output)
- Seca 2200 Drone (Real 2200 lumens - 2223 to be exact)
Not cheap, any of them, I must say.

Last edited:
Lume Cube specs lie.
At full output, 20/21 minutes is just enough for one P3 / P4 battery ... Any serious DJI pilot have 2, 3, or more batteries to use in sequence in the same session...

They've been around for the last 2 years, and are mere adaptations of other high intensity led apliances.
Labeled as a gadget and directed at smartphones / iphone photography, with a blink to portrait photo, used 3 leds and could be bought in several colors. Had very little acceptance.

Around May this year, they got restiled, and adopted a market campain attempting to captivate serious photographers. Lost the colors, and adopted one single cree led, but creators kept saying they delivered 1500 lumens, which they actualy don't.
Are now also trying to get into the niche market of drone lights, with the inclusion of 3d printed mounts for the DJI P3/P4.

Apart from the height added, subsequent drop in speed and flight time, and added strain to the motors of a non lift oriented drone, there is a potential danger that can lead to a complete lost of the beloved P3/P4 (and Cubes):
Cubes have magnets, that alow them to stick to metalic structures... Drones depend on a clean magnetic field to establish they position, with a calibrated compass (P4 has 2, to minimize the risk, but both can be affected)

If someone is interested in specialized compact drone lights, can look for

1770b2c3169a3d74253e3141f3fcb49d.jpg
5139f20eb7291fc095e7a37ac939e34b.jpg
66da79528da35c225bd98f053c713e84.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

They don't have magnets.... again your wrong. You can add them. But they don't come with them

Lume Cube specs lie.

Apart from the height added, subsequent drop in speed and flight time, and added strain to the motors of a non lift oriented drone, there is a potential danger that can lead to a complete lost of the beloved P3/P4 (and Cubes):

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Well, I appreciate everyone hijacking my thread that was supposed to be about why is my P3 struggling with the weight of the Lume Cubes.

Back on topic, could my motors need to be replaced? how many hours do motors last? Maybe I'll take a short video and show you guys.

What were we discussing? LOL. Wow.

Thought you already promised to stay away? Hahaha

Instead of coloured cubes you can get the coloured back cover kit, to identify them.
lc-color-cap-kit-stacked_3.jpg

RedHotPoker

Lume Cube specs lie.

You're right. I checked.
Magnetic back was standard, but now is an optional back cover.
Lume-Cube-Attached-to-Light-Stand.jpg

That doesn't look like the lume cube I have. What is that in the picture?

Thought you already promised to stay away? Hahaha

Instead of coloured cubes you can get the coloured back cover kit, to identify them.
lc-color-cap-kit-stacked_3.jpg

RedHotPoker

I'm not a 100% sure, but from what I have experienced, using Bluetooth and the app, in order for these to remain as color coded, you have to start them in the proper order too, for example, # one first, # two second etc. This happened to me when I was setting up # one as the one with a steady light, and the second with a flashing light. When I turned them both off, and then on again, in a different sequence, # one changed to the flashing light and # two to the steady light, the opposite of what I had before. Something to experiment with if you get the colored caps. Expensive for colored caps though. Guess thats because of the o-ring for water proofing. Anyone have the same experience?

What you are describing is impossible. The cubes are set to strobe or steady light individually in the app. So now, they can't jump back and forth between power downs. The Pro app should identifying the same cube colour each time you start them. Remember when you registered them? That was done through the same app.

RedHotPoker

What you are describing is impossible. The cubes are set to strobe or steady light individually in the app. So now, they can't jump back and forth between power downs. The Pro app should identifying the same cube colour each time you start them. Remember when you registered them? That was done through the same app.

RedHotPoker

Not sure that is correct. Let me try to explain better. Bluetooth doesn't care how they were registered. So, if I turn on the second (flashing) cube first and link it via bluetooth, it becomes # 1. The other has to be number two if you turn it on later. Try it, like I said, I'm not 100% sure as I haven't had time to test it further. That is what I experienced in my first trial. Thanks.

That doesn't look like the lume cube I have. What is that in the picture?
They have already gone through a few phases of development, and our cubes today are the finality of those changes. They had three weaker LED diodes originally, now a more powerful single unit suffices. Imagine three of these in a cube, practically blows me away..
Some good news, for several folks here.
Autel X Star Lights

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Not sure that is correct. Let me try to explain better. Bluetooth doesn't care how they were registered. So, if I turn on the second (flashing) cube first and link it via bluetooth, it becomes # 1. The other has to be number two if you turn it on later. Try it, like I said, I'm not 100% sure as I haven't had time to test it further. That is what I experienced in my first trial. Thanks.
Turn them on in the correct order then, and that switcheroo wouldn't be a concern anymore.
I am too tired to tinker, but please know, the Pro App designers are working on several improvements, some I have already suggested.
That will include reconnectivity if when lost flying beyond Bluetooth range. Then returning, to be disconnected. There will be several fixes and perhaps some swell new features. Let's wait and see. Still no sign of the aluminum cage for filters and gels. They are still working on a final design and manufacturer too, or something technical. ;-)
I am sorry for those who chose to wait on their purchase, for that option to be available. It may be some time, get your cubes.. Haha
The coloured backs are to edentify them, from a short distance. Once they are on, you can set their colour in your app.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Turn them on in the correct order then, and that switcheroo wouldn't be a concern anymore.
I am too tired to tinker, but please know, the Pro App designers are working on several improvements, some I have already suggested.
That will include reconnectivity if when lost flying beyond Bluetooth range. Then returning, to be disconnected. There will be several fixes and perhaps some swell new features. Let's wait and see. Still no sign of the aluminum cage for filters and gels. They are still working on a final design and manufacturer too, or something technical. ;-)
I am sorry for those who chose to wait on their purchase, for that option to be available. It may be some time, get your cubes.. Haha
The coloured backs are to edentify them, from a short distance. Once they are on, you can set their colour in your app.

RedHotPoker

Sounds like some great changes in the works. Thank you for suggesting to Lume Cube some of the issues, especially the re-connect to blue tooth. Much of the changes should be available through the app which can be upgraded and we won't have to purchase additional items. This is great news. I'll be getting the caps too though, it's a nice addendum to the cubes. Also, by having the cap, I will know which one to turn on first. Lol. That solves that problem too. Otherwise, they look the same. Happy lumen Red.

RedHot do you work or own a piece of LumeCube? Just wondering?

I have already stated my association with them. I am a fondly valued customer.
Being in my position, I have connections that can help me, help you.
Anyone that owns these cubes, know how awesome they are.
They practically sell themselves. Hearty Thanks to everyone, who has already jumped onboard with your Lume Cube purchase. . . Really very much appreciated. Thank you. Haha

RedHotPoker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart