Lume Cube too heavy-motors are working too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="Not A Speck Of Cereal, post: 937455, member: 55824" ]
This is still a concern. I would be interested to hear what your max flight times are with 2 cubes flying around in optimal conditions.
[/QUOTE]

I consistently get 13-15 minutes from 100% to 20%, flying gently in no-wind conditions, depending on the age of the battery I used.. One can probably add a minute with brand new batteries.

I know I'm getting more air time than that, because even with two 9 min videos of the flight, plus time to take off and land.

What ever time it is, the drone is visible all the way out and back.

RedHotPoker

With the flitron strobes ,there is no need for the cube. The cube is just to much for too much $$.
The weight and heat and $$ is stupid. M2C.

Put chicken broth in it? I would bring crackers and soda. Haha
With the flitron strobes ,there is no need for the cube. The cube is just to much for too much $$.
The weight and heat and $$ is stupid. M2C.
Your comments obviously are formed with no experience using them, so I don't quite get it?
What weight and heat? Have you flown with them? Sorry but Um, those strobes are useless and quite pointless to my needs, but you go ahead. Enjoy. ;-)
It's very impressive & an amazing sight, what a little light can do, to improve upon a basic simple pic.
image.jpeg

Using two is often brilliant.. Haha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: NRJ
... I compared the costs, not anything else.
For a photographer, when you compare the cost of a Lume Cube against the cost of typical strobes, they're not expensive ...

When talking about Canon's or Nikon's speedlights vs a batery powered LED with simple electronics, cost is the last thing to compare.

2001_1224AH_m2.jpg

My source of light for this photo was a single match (in absolute darkness). Should I create a fancy "photographic" matchbox for say ... $80 ?

... I bought a 1000 Lumen Fenix PD35 for $70 a few weeks back, not counting the specialized 18650 batteries and charger for it and the (another $20).

Man... You're realy prone to bad choices, aren't you?
btw: Your 960 Lumen Fenix price includes the charger (although not the 18650).
Ahh... And your's called $8 flashlights typicaly deliver 2000/3000 Lumen... Ooops.

Anyway...
The forum is related to "Phantom Pilots", not "Photographers whatever..."
There are many photography forums out there. Lume Cubes are rarely mencioned, but any of the fans here can try...

As I see it (and already said):
Phantom/Inspire cameras are less than adequate for night photography
In most countries drones can not fly at night, anyway, except in particular circunstances, and always in LOS (the drone, not the lights)
Any light attached to a drone (excluding maybe speedlights in particular circunstances), either day or night, is irrelevant in photographic terms (well, maybe just for light trail photos)

So, what realy matters here, are lights mounted on a drone, if lume cubes can or not help to keep the drone in LOS, what are the alternatives, and cost/pros/cons ratio for each option.
Any other versatilities just have no place here, specialy if "night" related (even S&R for the common user). Period.
Most phantom pilots are just casual photographers that would never (or even know how to) use them otherways.

btw: no matter how strong a light is, or it's color temperature, in a perfect black clear night, it iluminates nothing, so you can't see it if pointed left or right. That's why navigation lights have visibility angles of 2x110º + 140º, and beacons 360º. Forget Lume cubes for twilight flights...

I will not reply here anymore.
Have good flights. Flight by the rules.

Last edited:
Reactions: maxwell smart
Any one need a light? Hahaha
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Poof, up in smoke... Hahaha

RedHotPoker

I will not reply here anymore.
Have good flights. Flight by the rules.
Well now that's refreshing to hear!! ;-)
I know you are a man of your word, so no problem believing in you.
Aside from insulting other members choices here, and attempting to degrade the Lume Cubes, you have actually failed. Your choices are your own, and best of luck with the strobon units. You have fun.
Really sorry about that smoking habit, a very poor life choice indeed.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: acherman
If possible, can someone do a video with these on strobe in daylight at 2k feet out? If it can be confirmed the bird can be seen I may consider a purchase. The only other thing I need to know for sure is that once you set a cube to strobe, it remains on strobe for every power up from the cube. If you have to go into the app every time you turn these on to set it to strobe, that disqualifies it for me. But first things first, I need it to be confirmed it can be seen in daylight at 2k feet at least. Not conjecture or guessing, video proof. If anyone does that, I thank you very much.

If possible, can someone do a video with these on strobe in daylight at 2k feet out? If it can be confirmed the bird can be seen I may consider a purchase. The only other thing I need to know for sure is that once you set a cube to strobe, it remains on strobe for every power up from the cube. If you have to go into the app every time you turn these on to set it to strobe, that disqualifies it for me. But first things first, I need it to be confirmed it can be seen in daylight at 2k feet at least. Not conjecture or guessing, video proof. If anyone does that, I thank you very much.
I dont think they will strobe. On or off or a flash. Wast of money.

They do strobe but you apparently can only set strobe through the app. Sucks, but if the setting remains indefinitely when you turn on the cube, I can live with it.

They do strobe, and you do set that in the app. Once they are set that way, they stay that way.

I don't have video but can confirm 2,000' visibility is a moot point, I could see mine for more than 2 miles!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Thanks for confirming that when set to strobe that remains on each new power up. So you've had it on strobe during the day and can see that strobe 2 miles away?

No only at night... I don't care about the daytime VLOS

Thank you but I care and I was very pointed in my original question about daylight. Am I to take you at fact that you only need to set the cube to strobe mode once and the setting stays indefinite, each and every power up from the cube buttons without having to reset it back to strobe in the app each time?

Now I'm back to asking for conformation IN DAYLIGHT if the cube in strobe mode can be seen at least 2k feet away. Thank you to anyone who can answer that question absolutely. I ask because these aren't cheap. I want to be confident in my purchase. I don't need these for night headlights or neat-o photography of waterfalls. I need them in a more traditional sense on a drone to aid in keeping LOS in daylight and anti collision strobe at night. Thank you very much to anyone who has insight to these two questions.

Seriously, what is wrong with some of you - only an idiot would use LumeCubes for orientation. And frankly only an idiot even needs additional lights for orientation - as if it's not absolutely obvious from the the telemetry exactly which direction your drone is facing.

These are meant to light up the ground from the air for photography. If you don't care about photography, stop posting here. I also don't think these lights would make very good earrings. So I'm not going to post about it.

It's not for orientation. Do you understand what VLOS is? You know what though, you convinced me. I'm absolutely certain no one knows what these lights are capable of on a drone beyond lighting up the ground at night. Have fun. Peace out.

No, it's not for orientation. Though some people have been assuming that it is and that some cheapo strobes are far better than LumeCubes all around. I also understand what VLOS is. And I don't know about you, but I can see the stock lights on my Phantom a *long* way at night. But you're obviously angling for something else, so go ahead and educate all the rest of us.

Wait hold on- the answer on the strobing is YES... Set it and it stays!

As for the orientation I haven't used them for that, but I have used them to see where my bird Is... Which I can't do day or night 2 miles out... With them I can!

I haven't even tried to use them in the daylight... I want to, I just haven't. It's not important to me. I fly out of sight in the day, and I use the telemetry to find my way home.

At night I like having them for the return flight so I can see where I am, and where I am going. It's much easier to fly.

In the day I don't need them. I can almost keep eyes on my bird to 1500' away, so I think the cubes would make 2,000' easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart