Lume Cube too heavy-motors are working too hard

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who are worried about weight, watch this video on how much a dji p3 can carry. Sure, you don't want the motors to labor and drain your battery faster right? Well then if you are not taking pictures, remove the removable LumeCube and go faster and farther. When you are taking pictures, put on the Lumes.

Check out this video:

It's the burdon and yoke upon my shoulders that bothers me most. Let's haul it all out into the spotlight!! Haha

I've seen those drone weight lifting and annual beer carrying competitions and they are exciting and amusing. But mean little if you aren't going to participate. I mostly do what I say, & not just talk about it and live vicariously via others heroics and endeavours.
A pair of 700e heli's will lift a human being. Now we/you can forget transporting pugs and jugs, just bring me a cute date.. Haha
Or haul a lambo.

That is pretty impressive. Yes?

RedHotPoker

Reactions: DronerLee
It's the burdon and yoke upon my shoulders that bothers me most. Let's haul it all out into the spotlight!! Haha

I've seen those drone weight lifting and annual beer carrying competitions and they are exciting and amusing. But mean little if you aren't going to participate. I mostly do what I say, & not just talk about it and live vicariously via others heroics and endeavours.
A pair of 700e heli's will lift a human being. Now we/you can forget transporting pugs and jugs, just bring me a cute date.. Haha
Or haul a lambo.

That is pretty impressive. Yes?

RedHotPoker

Wow, Impressive yes. Didn't know they could lift that much. Cute cargo too. Amazing.

Exactly. It is also to heavy for a small quad like the P3. Considering that you need two to balance it out. It is just a glorified $10 flashlight.

I just got lume cube ,it is bright. But it is also way over priced. Not worth the money.Just a cool lite.

Exactly. It is also to heavy for a small quad like the P3. Considering that you need two to balance it out. It is just a glorified $10 flashlight.
Do you actually need two, yes, us Librans do. Not to distribute weight more to broaden the light, and give us the ability to have one aimed forward and one drawn towards the back.
With that in mind, Soon there will be coloured gels and filters to change the light hue and temperature. Attached magnetically to an aluminum housing which should be available very soon. I am imagining a blue and a red filter set up, pulsing to one of the three strobe modes. Likely use a different strobe pattern for each color.

Anyway, I am not gaining any new information that is beneficial to my photography insight, nor helping anyone else learn from our lengthy discussion here, by debating if 4oz.+ * 2 = an overload on my drone. But I am willing to start a new thread, sculpted towards any and all LED solutions, for anyone interested in dedicated photography lighting. Lume Cubes are still boss, in my first impression. And I'm thrilled to have a set.

But now, the moon is high, & this conversation has no end, and needs no beginning.
Let's share a cup of green tea soon, and begin to learn much more about photography, & useful bright clean light? Are You keen? ;-)

RedHotPoker

Yes, they do have that ability. Probably why It's not meant as a torch for concert bic grippers. Ha

It certainly has a threaded 1/4 20 hole, for screwing onto something applicable.

If left on for an extended period of time,
Please Let it cool before handling. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Hey Red, I was just curious. Since it does get quite hot, when you want to turn it off, if left on the drone for example, are you able to turn it off by the buttons without a burn? I know it has the app, but I'm just curious about the buttons if they are too hot. Thanks.

Hey Red, I was just curious. Since it does get quite hot, when you want to turn it off, if left on the drone for example, are you able to turn it off by the buttons without a burn? I know it has the app, but I'm just curious about the buttons if they are too hot. Thanks.
You should be ok. It dose get hot but you can take it. I would not use velcro to hold one.

Reactions: NRJ
The buttons have a nice rubber coating, that doesn't get affected by the Lume Cube internal heat. So, yes, if you choose not to use the Pro App, the onboard buttons are used.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: NRJ
Something that I really like about the Lume Cubes. Once you turn them on manually, and make the Bluetooth connection, they can be controlled together or separately and from the app, the settings are quite helpful.
Aside from video recording, where the lamps would be left on, you can use the strobe modes, for extended use, where they don't heat up. The batteries obviously also stay charged much longer too.

RedHotPoker

You should be ok. It dose get hot but you can take it. I would not use velcro to hold one.
That statement makes no sense, to someone who has used these.
They don't heat up like fireballs. If they were on his drone, they would be threaded onto the brackets, so there is no need for Velcro, or to touch the cube, other than on the cushioned control buttons. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Something that I really like about the Lume Cubes. Once you turn them on manually, and make the Bluetooth connection, they can be controlled together or separately and from the app, the settings are quite helpful.
Aside from video recording, where the lamps would be left on, you can use the strobe modes, for extended use, where they don't heat up. The batteries obviously also stay charged much longer too.

RedHotPoker

Thanks, that's very helpful.

So I just got my LumeCubes today and holy crap they are sooo BRIGHT! It's truly amazing for the size.

They do feel heavy, but that's to be expected. I can't wait to fly my distance run with them on to see what if any difference they make.

I was also surprised by the mounts... For 3D printed stuff they are pretty sturdy.

I suspect they will fly off in a crash though. But I'm not sure. I hope to never find out.

Lastly they are super tiny, so tiny I can squeeze them into a unused battery hole in my case side by side.

So far I've truly enjoyed playing with them. I put them on the drone to see what they look like.
52db7c87d9913283427e0d0f0f2e6046.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Wide grin, ok wipe it off. Eh, how's it going? Huh
Glad to see you smiling so broad tonight.. ;-)
Yes, yes and yes, you are very correct that Sir.

Now you see what the rest of us are looking at... Clearly.
Set your camera for 6000 kelvin and test them bad boys out... Ha

Hit me up on here, with some pics or a short vid.. Thanks.
Drone Lighting for Awesome Photography/Visibility

RedHotPoker

Green and red. Lume cubes will be releasing an aluminum cage soon, that will magnetically attach colored filters, gels, honey comb, even a barn door. So you, will have your cake and eat it too. Hehe

RedHotPoker
Do me a favor and PM me when they get the new aluminum and gels. I will wait till then before I buy a set. For the time being I have the polar pro light setup. Not very bright but thank goodness I have that little map icon down there with the arrow to find my way back if I lose orientation, works every time. Funny I've never heard anyone talk about using the map icon to find their way back. PCH ONE here I come.

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I fly every day with Lume Cubes. The phantom motors are more than capable enough to carry the cubes. The only downside is reduced flight time by a couple minutes.

Just as bright and weigh about as much as two quarters. Choose from four colors. I have a green one on the back and a red one on the front for orientation at night. i can see them over a mile away.
STROBON Standalone - Flytron
I think you should be using white strobes since red and blue are usually associated with fixed wing aircraft indicating left and right in forward motion. On a heli, directional lights are meaningless and could serve to confuse. If you intend the lights for decoration rather than a safety feature, your drone simply becomes a flying Christmas tree, not suitable for twilight flight, which is how we "assume" you intend to use it. As a practical matter, a white strobe on top would be most suitable. In my own testing I have found it does not seem to affect the GPS which is inside at that area on most DJI products.

Do me a favor and PM me when they get the new aluminum and gels. I will wait till then before I buy a set. For the time being I have the polar pro light setup. Not very bright but thank goodness I have that little map icon down there with the arrow to find my way back if I lose orientation, works every time. Funny I've never heard anyone talk about using the map icon to find their way back. PCH ONE here I come.

Sent from my LG-H810 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'll dm you when they come in.

In the mean time you can channel your inner artist and be creative. I use a small 1 inch square gel cut out, fixed with gaffers tape and it works like a charm.

Lume Cubes are a very bright Photo and Video light. They are intended to light up a scene for all cameras especially those with small sensors. They work in any condition, and are way more than a drone light.

I fly a P3 Advanced and 2 Lume cubes almost every day.

Sorry to say but it seems like you are talking about something you know nothing about.

Watch the videos, do some research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik