LOST MY DRONE! HELP :(

KL Tower is the seventh-tallest tower in the world by pinnacle height at 421 m (1,381 ft) according to Wikipedia. What I don't understand is it started to "Go Home" at 10m 2s. 13 seconds later it goes back into GPS. It was headed straight for the tower when it changed direction, almost as if it was going navigate around it.

View attachment 87376

It briefly lost downlink at that earlier time and went into RTH, which was cancelled when the downlink was restored. I don't think that was related to the final loss of signal or subsequent behavior. It had no way of knowing that the tower was there. The direction change was due to right aileron being applied at 10' 21".

it didn't hit the tower. i've been to the tower for 2 days to ask about any drone crash but they said there's no drone crash :(
it won't hit the tower because i was flying above the tower and if the rth works well, i've already set the rth altitude to 120m which means it's going to be higher than the tower.
Security may not have found your drone but that doesn't prove anything.
It's pretty clear that you lost signal because you flew behind the tower and it was well below the top of the tower.
Your Phantom initiated RTH and attempted to fly straight home right through the tower.
It was already higher than your RTH height setting so would not have climbed any higher to come home.
Flying behind tall obstacles is never a good idea.
i-7KQd4v3-L.jpg

400 feet is not a law but don't fly above and put airplanes at risk. I recently suffered the same kind of disconnect. Storm wind blew it away and disconnected. It tried to fly home but it crashed into a tree. I found the craft exactly where the map stated it would be. Luckily it survived with no physical damage.

If I had to guess looking at map you did crash. It could have fallen to ground or being that high up it could have blown away like the other person said.
So airplanes fly below 500ft where you live? That is odd.

So airplanes fly below 500ft where you live? That is odd.
It's not odd at all.
There are plenty of situations where planes can legally fly below 500 ft.
Here are the relevant FAA rules. Note C & D
§ 91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General.
Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:
(a) Anywhere. An altitude allowing, if a power unit fails, an emergency landing without undue hazard to persons or property on the surface.
(b) Over congested areas. Over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons, an altitude of 1,000 feet above the highest obstacle within a horizontal radius of 2,000 feet of the aircraft.
(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.
(d) Helicopters, powered parachutes, and weight-shift-control aircraft. If the operation is conducted without hazard to persons or property on the surface—
(1) A helicopter may be operated at less than the minimums prescribed in paragraph (b) or (c) of this section, provided each person operating the helicopter complies with any routes or altitudes specifically prescribed for helicopters by the FAA

Reactions: sar104
Man, I would not have the nerve to fly anywhere near an area with so many buildings, especially of that height.Just looking for trouble, don't you think?
i normally fly from rooftop before this and never had any case like this before :(

i don't need any bashing comments. i just want to know where's my fault of losing my drone. because i alreadt flew for 15hour overall and never had any problem like this before. if you can't give any help or positive comments just ignore this post. thanks.

i don't need any bashing comments. i just want to know where's my fault of losing my drone. because i alreadt flew for 15hour overall and never had any problem like this before. if you can't give any help or positive comments just ignore this post. thanks.

Unfortunately you do need them........... :(

Look , you flew behind the tall building and lost signal, you RTH altitude was set below the altitude you needed to clear the obstacle and it flew straight and level into the obstacle just as it is designed to do......what more do you want?????

Reactions: konidair and sar104
Mr. Meal, with all due respect for your past successes, you asked the readers of this forum what they think may have happened. The concensus seems to be the drone crashed due to pilot error. In the US we have an expression "play with the bull....you get the horns". I think you got the horns this time.

I have to agree with the other comments here. Ignoring any issues surrounding the legality or advisability of flying at those altitudes in that location, you set your RTH height too low for the intervening structures and then flew directly behind one of them (the tallest in the area in fact), lost uplink and downlink (not surprising) causing RTH with a model with no obstacle avoidance. It may be embarrassing but all the evidence says that it was entirely pilot error.

I'm baffled why you think that just because you had not had this problem before in 15 hours of flying (or any amount of flying for that matter) that it has any bearing on the cause of this event.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl