Loss of signal over 75 feet

Reaction score
I just purchased a phantom vision 2 plus with the newest V3 updates. In every single flight I have had which is a total of 5 which every flight was in a different location too... Whenever the drone gets around 75 feet away doesn't matter if it's vertical or horizontal I get a loss of control signal and it's automatically initiating fail safe mode once it start to come home and gets closer I am able to regain control. I am aware of how the transmitter antenna works and how the orientation of the antenna needs to be in relation to the drone to best complete the signal. Prior to every flight I am calibrating the compass and setting a home point. During every flight I have had a lock with at least 10 satellites most of the time even more. I am using an iPhone 5c with the DJI app. Can anyone please help as I'm unsure of the problem and very disappointed with a range of less than 75ft.... Doesn't make it very enjoyable

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions

Ok so most importantly....anytime you change your flying location you MUST recalibrate the compass! Very important.

If you are staying in the same neighborhood then you are ok not to do it. But outside of the neighborhood always do the recalibrate.

Now the 75ft is a reception issue would be my best guess. I say that from experience. I have to ask if your controller is charged up, and range extender?

Next, did you calibrate the controller with the controller assistant, and then calibrate the controller with the quad connected to the pc and assistant? If not, then do all the mentioned calibrations and let me know if there is an improvement.

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions[/quote]

Place the controller antenna in a 45 degrees angle.
Are you in a CE or FCC country? Enable FCC if your country permits it. It can be done the Phantom Assist or in the RC 1.2 (cant remember).
You can also flip the controller over and look for the 2 holes at the lower right corner.. Use a Phillips head and turn the lower pot knob clockwise. Be VERY GENTLE!!!

I had changed the antenna on my controller fouling the antenna connection. I found that mine would only go about 30 meters before hitting fail safe. Since yours is new, you might want to consider returning it. If you like taking things apart, take apart your controller. You will have to unplug some cables to remove the cover, so pay attention to where they go. Inspect your antenna wire. It plugs into an antenna module. You probably won't be able to see the actual connector because it will be covered in white glue. If you get really brave, cut away some of the glue, but don't scrape it off of the board or you'll damage the board like I did. Verify that the antenna connector is snapped in.

If you live near someone else with a phantom 2 or vision, you could borrow their controller to see if that works, but you'd still need to send it back if your antenna wire looked ok.

Like someone else said make sure both your wifi extender and the controller are both charged. The wifi extender takes a few hours.

Thanks for all the replies... My controller is in FCC mode... Like I said I am re calibrating my compass before every flight in a new location.. My controller and range extender are fully charged prior to every flight..I have not done any connection or calibration via PC assistant as I'm unsure exactly how and what to do

HeisenbergAR15 said:
So I should contact who I purchased it from?

That's the safest way to go.

I had a faulty quad when I got mine. I don't mind taking things apart, so with the help of youtube, I took mine apart and found a loose screw rolling across some of the circuit boards shorting out some of the circuits. I removed the screw and it all works well now. I purchased from B&H and I had let them know about the issue and they were glad that they didn't have to ship another one to me.

Taking apart the controller is much easier than the quad. BUT, I agree with the above posts. This is a new item and you should not HAVE to take it apart to check it. It is safer to just contact your dealer and return it.

HeisenbergAR15 said:
I just purchased a phantom vision 2 plus with the newest V3 updates. In every single flight I have had which is a total of 5 which every flight was in a different location too... Whenever the drone gets around 75 feet away doesn't matter if it's vertical or horizontal I get a loss of control signal and it's automatically initiating fail safe mode once it start to come home and gets closer I am able to regain control. I am aware of how the transmitter antenna works and how the orientation of the antenna needs to be in relation to the drone to best complete the signal. Prior to every flight I am calibrating the compass and setting a home point. During every flight I have had a lock with at least 10 satellites most of the time even more. I am using an iPhone 5c with the DJI app. Can anyone please help as I'm unsure of the problem and very disappointed with a range of less than 75ft.... Doesn't make it very enjoyable

I bought my latest P2V+ (v3) in mid December and am having the exact same issue. In my estimation I'm limited to 100ft, once the link is lost it's spotty if it will even come back without resetting the Wifi extender. Even then that doesn't always remedy the situation. I sent an email to GetFPV (retailer I purchased from) this morning since I'm well within their 90 days. I thought about taking it apart, but as everyone else noted if it's brand new there's no rationale. DJI can suck up the cost of QA. While I realize some of this falls back on the resellers - the only way quality issues at DJI will get solved is if their forced to spend money fixing the problems.

Edit:
I just realized you were having a problem with the actual control link, I'm having similar issues with Wifi. My bad.

windexh8er said:
HeisenbergAR15 said:

I bought my latest P2V+ (v3) in mid December and am having the exact same issue. In my estimation I'm limited to 100ft, once the link is lost it's spotty if it will even come back without resetting the Wifi extender. Even then that doesn't always remedy the situation. I sent an email to GetFPV (retailer I purchased from) this morning since I'm well within their 90 days. I thought about taking it apart, but as everyone else noted if it's brand new there's no rationale. DJI can suck up the cost of QA. While I realize some of this falls back on the resellers - the only way quality issues at DJI will get solved is if their forced to spend money fixing the problems.

Edit:
I just realized you were having a problem with the actual control link, I'm having similar issues with Wifi. My bad.

With wifi > drop your resolution to 640x480@15fps or less.
If still occurring then bring it back. Could be a lose wifi Antenna or Wifi overheating and going bad.

I'm guessing DDM got DJI's old stock. And I would be concerned your quad may have several old parts in it. If it was my quad I would open it up and take note on what's inside. Then I would be on the phone getting a V3 that had all the new parts they now come out with.

Check your horizontal limits in the advanced tab of the Phantom Assistant.

As I stated in the first post specifically to flynfrank it is a V3!!!!! Also as stated I'm using an I phone 5c for fpv and I have also used an I pad air for fpv too... Not only am I limited horizontally but vertically too

I had an issue with mine doing the some crazy things with my iPhone 5. It kept loosing wifi and controller signal even when sitting on the ground. I thought it was my modification to the stage 2 kit. So I opened the booster made sure everything was connected which I had hot glued together. I also worked with the controller antenna. Anyways switched to my iPhone 6 and that problem went away. I'm still loosing signal after 1200 feet doing the RTH and thats with a stage 2 antenna. It should be going at least double that but at least it wasn't dropping the wifi or control signal when on the ground.

Anyways I wonder if the app has a glitch

To clarify I'm having NO problem with my wifi signal!!!!!!! It's my control signal from the transmitter aka controller hence the fail safe mode being initiated by the quad!!!!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl