Losing signal at 300ft p3

If you can't wait for the SE, you can do the bird-side 2.4ghz antenna mod today (use landing skid antennas from the P3A/P3P), and apply the MagicPower hack, yours will be pretty close to the SE.

Are you directing that post to me or to the P3Pro owner ?

I've already exceeded the Pro and the SE range with my P3S ... so why ?

Nigel

Just making a comment, not directing at you sir.

After I patched the video downlink power with MagicPower, the stock 5.8g tx antenna gave me 900+ meter range in the city (CE zone).
Argtek 5.8g antenna is nothing special.

Today I fitted an Argtek system to a pals P3S ... IN THE FIELD using the tailgate of his car as bench.

Stock he had 480m

First run after swap WITH CE power ..... 1249m

And that was just a casual run with the 3 stick Omni antenna ...

AND if you read Papa Tita Magic Power as well as Icarus - they boost 2.4GHz ...

Nigel

Probably towards me, but there's a lot of other features the standard don't have!

Exactly - but that's why its cheapest P3.

Compare P3S to competitors ..... taking the average P3S - you will find it beats them. Plus the P3S has 3rd party gear to get more out of it.

People like to go on about Dual GPS and also the VPS ...

Well they have their limits as well. Dual GPS will suffer same variance as Single GPS in many situations. People have to stop believing Marketing Hype !!

VPS is only good to about 15m height AND needs solid surface to read of. Two incidents I personally know of :

Guy filming along a river ... he is having to MANUALLY assess and climb as the VPS is failing to do its job.
Second -guy fitted a night flyer LED to the P3P to fly at a night-time club party ... it did not cover or be in way of the VPS ... but it still caused the P3P to misjudge altitude and motors stopped in mid-air. Guy bought a crashed P3P to salvage parts to get it back in air.
Both incidents with extremely experienced pilots.

Nigel

Today I fitted an Argtek system to a pals P3S ... IN THE FIELD using the tailgate of his car as bench.

Stock he had 480m

First run after swap WITH CE power ..... 1249m

And that was just a casual run with the 3 stick Omni antenna ...

AND if you read Papa Tita Magic Power as well as Icarus - they boost 2.4GHz ...
Nothing is absolute, every upgrade will lead to improvement in range, just one upgrade might be more effective than the other.
First, an external antenna should always better than the internal stock ceramic one.
Second, I tested both Alfa and Argtek 2.4g panels side-by-side, and Alfa performed much better. And Argtek is the more expensive one.
Finally, what gave me the most range increase was the power boost hack.

Probably towards me, but there's a lot of other features the standard don't have!
4K is nice, but are you ready for 60Mbps video files? VPS is nice only if you are flying in door.

I seem to remember you posted something like : "Argtek antenna are a joke" .... and something about : "I get better with stock" ......

I have actually tried a lot of combo's of antenna, FW, Apps, Panels, Boosters etc. and I would guess more than you - seems strange that I would go back to Argtek with Icarus as my preferred setup.
Why ? I wanted to max the P3S ... which I did to 4835m ... then I felt I had achieved what I set out to do. Then I decided to setup as the most convenient and balanced setup. Easy to hold in hand, instead of needing a tray as the powered booster setup needs, and fits case with minimum fuss but still gives me good range.

Nigel

Final word .. I am not trying to convince "dchao" to use Argtek ... and I am not selling or have any commercial interest / connection.

But it would be nice to see some reduction in the anti-gossip that gets put out. I am sure like me there are many out there with success stories with Argtek, as with Itelite and other setups. But they choose to go fly and not post. I know Aigars after I fitted his Argtek and still using CE power - he had a smile on his face ...

Nigel

The SE is not officially sold or supported outside China. The power level from factory is outside CE and FCC limits.
Nope, that's incorrect.
The power level is FCC. (On it's website, the Chinese specs says "Remote Control -> Range: FCC 4000 Meters"
(source:Phantom 3 SE - DJI大疆创新)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 5.08.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-18 at 5.08.46 PM.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 359
Last edited:
Silly ***** .... you clipped the actual statement !

It says :

working frequency 2.4 GHz & 5.8 GHz
The maximum effective distance of the signal FCC: 4000 m (outdoor unobstructed environment)

FCC in fact does not stipulate distance so the addition of FCC to the sentence is worthless.

What it does NOT say is Power Level DBi which FCC sets... which all others do such as P3S ....

There is a claim higher up that DJI Care and cover is available ... well my searches do not agree. DJI themselves on their website offer DJI Care on their other models - but it is distinctly absent on the SE page.
Not only that - but there is NO International page for SE, it is a purely China Market page linked to.

I stand by my statement as I was given by DJI ... it is not officially recognised for sale outside China at this moment.

I have even gone back to ask them again and to comment on the eBay etc. sales we see. If they reply - I will post up the reply.

Nigel

That doesn't explain being able to purchase it in the US at Walmart, Walmart isn't going to sell something that's specifically in Chinese..

According to DJI's P3SE user manual (page 48):
https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/phantom_3_se/Phantom+3+SE+用户手册+V1.0.pdf
  • Remote Control Tx Power (EIRP) FCC: 19 dBm; CE: 14 dBm
  • WiFi Video Tx Power (EIRP) FCC: 27 dBm; CE: 20 dBm
As you can see the power outputs are exactly the same as P3S.
The only difference is P3SE has the same landing skid antennas as P3P, and the range is boosted to 4000m. Of course, the 802.11 Wi-Fi reconnect is much slower than the proprietary lightbridge version, and you don't have access to the 32-channel hack.
I personally had very good result from the P3P leg antennas.

There's 2 antennas inside the aircraft for the TX 5.8ghz link correct? What would happen if for instance, just one of those connections came disconnected?

Mine seems like it only loses signal after I elevate past 275ft altitude. If I stay under that I seems ok, as soon as I go over that it rth, it dosent matter if I'm 25ft away or 1000ft

@IanCognito: Yep, there are two 5.8g antenna on the landing skid. If one get disconnected, it should still work if the drone is in close range.
Have you retest your remote control and drone at a more open space, rather than in a residential neighborhood. I think there are too many obstacles for you to fly above 300ft.

My signal comes and goes, depending on elevation. Like I said I can have full signal at 1000ft then if I go up past 275ft in altitude it loses complete signal.

Why is there 2 is one for altitude and one for distance?
Nope, the two antennas configuration is called "antenna diversity", basically, the receiver will pick from which ever antenna has the best signal and use the stronger signal, and sometimes, adding bandwidth together from both antennas to achieve higher throughput.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peoplelogic