Litchi for P3

P3A: W322 @ 1.04.0001
RC: GL300A @ 1.04.0001
DJi Pilot 1.2.0 or DJi Go or Litchi v1.7.6 or Ultimate Flight with Channel Expansion Mod.

But I think 1.3.2 is the same.

I have the app but I'm a little nervous to try it with 1.3.2 I don't want my bird to fly away.

It seems a good number of us are beginning to experiment with the Litchi app. Unfortunately, documentation is sparse and though the developer is very engaged and responsive in the litchi google group, I find that format less user friendly for general discussion - so though we could use this thread to learn from each other about Litchi functionality, tips, and tricks.

I've only flown it a couple times, but impressed with the stability and functions so far. For those from the no hack thread, litchi still has 32 channels on auto - so that is still possible it seems within the firmware.

It does not appear to have any camera settings (at least that I've found). Assuming they cannot be changed, does anyone know what the settings are? Or are they auto exposure? What video quality and frame rate? Max?
I loved Litchi for the longest time, until the app contributed in a big way (Not Technically, just an app crash at the exact wrong moment) to me losing my P2V+.... Think I'm done with Litchi for my P3.

Winds were light this evening, so I installed Litchi 1.7.7 and new FW V01.04.0005.bin and off I went to the RC track to test.

Nice orbit. Now you need to try a flyover with waypoints and a POI

I loved Litchi for the longest time, until the app contributed in a big way (Not Technically, just an app crash at the exact wrong moment) to me losing my P2V+.... Think I'm done with Litchi for my P3.

I understand your reluctance to continue using this app, but I would encourage you to come back to it once it's out of Alpha and Beta testing for the P3 and into general release. You run the risk of accidents while using ANY app that is still in development. The same is true for any other app that is still in testing mode, so I would hardly single out Litchi for your loss of a P2V. I am making 2 assumptions here. First that the app was still in development for the P2 at the time, and that the crash was the app's fault and not a problem with the tablet. Still, even with an app crash, as long as your controller was still connected, there is no reason why you couldn't have flown it home or hit RTH. Out of curiosity, what were the circumstances of your loss? I have had my DJI app crash twice on me, once while my Phantom 3 was in the middle of a group of hot air balloons and another when it was over 2 miles away flying by FPV. In the first instance, I had eyes on the copter and navigated it away from the balloons while I reloaded the app. It reconnected and all was good. The second time, the Phantom just waited and hovered until I restarted the DJI app and reconnected. Then I continued out to 3.1 miles and it automatically engaged RTH because of the battery. Again, it was recovered with no issues.

So, I fly a mission and loose signal to the RC, the P3 continues on and hopefully finishes. Since I no longer have RC control, I can't initiate an RTH, understandable.

Will the low battery RTH function as normal, even if the mission is incomplete?

I had serious disconnects a lot as well, the app crashed at the very moment when I would have gotten low battery warning, with the P2v in the sun, orientation was impossible, it tried to return to home when the engines stopped in mid flight and it fell 300 ft into the middle of the lake.... not blaming the app for the crash, just an app crash at the exact moment I needed it....

Seems like your RTH should have kicked in automatically just before the battery got to the point where it could no longer return home safely. I was under the assumption that triggering that particular RTH signal was a function of the battery firmware, not the app or the RC. Am I wrong there? So if that's the way it works, it really shouldn't have mattered whether you saw the low battery warning or not. That may not be the way it works, however. I would need to hear from someone who knows for sure. You were definitely a victim of bad luck and poor timing, however. I add all this commentary because I wonder if you had an additional failure of the smart battery not initiating RTH when it should have.
I had serious disconnects a lot as well, the app crashed at the very moment when I would have gotten low battery warning, with the P2v in the sun, orientation was impossible, it tried to return to home when the engines stopped in mid flight and it fell 300 ft into the middle of the lake.... not blaming the app for the crash, just an app crash at the exact moment I needed it....

I know it shoulda but it didnt.... The battery and RTH caused the loss, I am not saying it is Litchi, I love the app... In your preflights checklist, always be prepared for an app crash as well, I needed it for orientation at a time when battery was low... And I have been getting a lot of them.

Rob... Thanks, I also suspect a battery failure just by the way it fell... My P2V+ went out in a grand way, falling from that high, it was a terrific site.... I guess the only way to know is to attempt a recovery for the Flytrex Core2 card.

So, I fly a mission and loose signal to the RC, the P3 continues on and hopefully finishes. Since I no longer have RC control, I can't initiate an RTH, understandable.

Will the low battery RTH function as normal, even if the mission is incomplete?
Yes it does. You might want to take it out with a low battery and start a mission in close where you have control and let it RTH on low battery. Nothing like seeing it furst hand to build comfort !

As a matter of fact, I believe I inadvertently tested that function and had forgotten about it. During my first orbit mission, I was low on battery and it engaged RTH just as it was about to finish its first orbit. So, yes it does work that way. Good to know.

For me its always best to burn things into my brain first hand. So I try for force as many "what ifs" as I can when I am under controlled circumstances.

This may call for a sim test, as I was under the impression that low battery rth is app driven and not bird driven. My understanding is that the uav would attempt to auto-land at critical, though. I guess the test would be to send it on a long mission with 40% battery then turn off the tablet and rc and see what happens and when.

This may call for a sim test, as I was under the impression that low battery rth is app driven and not bird driven. My understanding is that the uav would attempt to auto-land at critical, though. I guess the test would be to send it on a long mission with 40% battery then turn off the tablet and rc and see what happens and when.

Near the end of my orbit video, you can see the P3 rise a bit, as if it was going to do an RTH. I will have to look at the entire video again and see if it just rose and then attempted to land or rose and headed to the HP. It was also very close to the home point (green pad) at the time of initiation of whatever it did. So more distance will probably be required for a good test.

I may just have to test it using your method.

I tested on the simulator and, to my surprise, it returned. I'm not sure whether it had finished the mission or aborted to rth.

Wow!...four updates in less than 3 days. I have only flown the first one...LOL

The developer is on fire!

Reactions: tgarcia
John, he is rocking it out of the park !

Using it as Cable cam and POI are working fantastic.

I am in awe.

Reactions: SENC
I am going to a semi-pro football game on Saturday and I am trying to figure out "Cable Cam".

What I want to do is to fly back and forth along the sidelines while panning the camera. But I ma having a hard time understanding how to set this up.

First I set two way points and user controlled heading. How do I get it to run back and forth on its own? Do I use 'Repeats'?

I am going to a semi-pro football game on Saturday and I am trying to figure out "Cable Cam".

What I want to do is to fly back and forth along the sidelines while panning the camera. But I ma having a hard time understanding how to set this up.

First I set two way points and user controlled heading. How do I get it to run back and forth on its own? Do I use 'Repeats'?

i think VCTech noted that repeat is broken is DJI's SDK...

You could do two WP at each ends of the timeline at your desired elevation. Set Cruising speed to "0" and set RC speed to whatever - this will allow you to cable cam your phantom between the 2 Endpoint. You just need to make sure to never let the phantom hit WP#2 as that will end the mission (since repeat doesn't work currently).

Depending on your needs, you can have Litchi control the YAW/PITCH (set at each WP and Litchi will interpolate in between) or you can manually control the YAW/PITCH.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnndyManuka