Litchi for P3

Well Frank, that seems like a silly thing to do considering many folks seem to be stuck with a big paperweight when they could go back to a functional firmware version. shrug

Well Frank, that seems like a silly thing to do considering many folks seem to be stuck with a big paperweight when they could go back to a functional firmware version. shrug

What do you mean silly? My reference was that the file may not work. I pointed it out to you thinking you may change your firmware and then expect to be able to use the file.

Maybe you didn't understand me, but as I say I tried giving you a heads up to try the file before hand, that's all.

What do you mean silly? My reference was that the file may not work. I pointed it out to you thinking you may change your firmware and then expect to be able to use the file.

Maybe you didn't understand me, but as I say I tried giving you a heads up to try the file before hand, that's all.

I did get what you were saying about the usability (or lack of usability)of the service.bin for my purpose. Thanks. What I was referring to was that for DJI to come up with a service.bin written to prep the hardware of the P3 to accept firmware, both older or newer, and then write code that corrupts their own service.bin seems counter productive. If those that have upgraded their P3s with new firmware and subsequently bricked their P3s can run the service.bin and then roll back to a functional firmware seems like a better option than a bunch of mad customers. jmho

at this point, I would just wait for DJI to release the official firmware with official SDK support and for final Litchi release... Probably right around the corner - not worth flashing and reflashing various firmware to test for short period of time

at this point, I would just wait for DJI to release the official firmware with official SDK support and for final Litchi release... Probably right around the corner - not worth flashing and reflashing various firmware to test for short period of time
I am leaning that direction too.

Good advice from Rich and Tom. No reason to risk it unless you really want the features and are willing to make your phantom an experiment. After following litchi and its developer for a while I decided they were doing all they could to mitigate risk - but understood it could all go south. That being said, I'm not sure that using litchi has been particularly riskier than flying stock dji, as the entire product is essentially a first time rollout of a consumer grade made for the masses uav with the tech, bells and whistles of a much more technical (and heretofore much more expensive) product. I didn't expect risk-free out of the box - and dji certainly hasn't disappointed me!

While I am not using Litchi at present I am running the SDK version of the firmware you need for another beta test and it will install over the production firmware without difficulties. The current SDK firmware is essentially 1.3.2 with SDK hooks and it even resolved the VPS errors for me. It works perfectly well with DJI GO and any of the SDK applications being developed.

Reactions: SENC and rrmccabe
Here are a few screen recordings of a couple GS flights. The first is a short one with 3 waypoints and a (virtual) point of interest on which to focus. The second is just a long series of waypoints I used to test and learn about headings and rotations and curves.

Also tested orbit and can confirm that joysticks still function allowing altitude and diameter to be changed during orbit.

Question for other litchi users - can you educate me on gimbal pitch values ad how to set them if I don't want auto gimbal on the poi?

I have not got that to work yet @SENC but have not had time to play with that. Wasnt even positive if it did work.

I wish the support was not in stupid Google Group format. Makes me crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: SENC
I cut the cord this morning and let Litchi take my P3 through 3 orbits, 2 waypoint courses and a follow me jaunt. All flights stayed very close so I could monitor the events.
Only issue was loss of connectivity during the second waypoint flight.

I will post some videos later today.

Boring test orbit. I started by flying close to the nearest obstacle, those trees. Then sized the flight circle to match the location of the P3 so I could avoid crashing into them during the flight.

Quite the adrenaline rush letting Litchi take over my craft for the first time.

The green launchpad is the home point. I was low on battery and the P3 went RTH just as it finished the orbit.

Reactions: SENC
Nice orbit John. Smooth! Missions are addicting. I remember my first mission and letting go. Rush for sure.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

After a week of not flying decided to take the plunge and try waypoints, orbit and follow me. The app crashed every time! No complaints though because I live in the Middle East and the weather in August is HOT. Add the heat to the heat generated by the Nexus 9 and you have a recipient for a freeze. Mind you, the DJI app continued to function. Go figure.

In Licthi V1.7.3 I could edit the Litchi missions using Excel. They were comma delimited text files.
Like this example:
"latitude","longitude","altitude","heading","maxReachTime","speed","stayTime","turnMode","actions"
"34.63658418601124","-120.43869327753784","20.0","360","999","5.0","3","0",""
"34.63568323426575","-120.43880090117455","20.0","360","999","5.0","3","0",""

This evening I tried editing using a Litchi v1.7.6 mission and the file format changed.
Looks like maybe an ASCII hex string.
Like this example:
lchjB8 @ @ARÀ :›<À^~…gÿÿ>LÌÍ B @ @ASDté¶À^eߐ >LÌÍ Bt @ @ASBñéÀ^±ýø >LÌÍ BD @ @ARÒ™‘^üÀ^ŽNø >LÌÍ

It was cool to be able to build or modify a simple mission using GoogleEarth and without using the app. Bummer....

Afraid if I used Excel I would end up with a flight to Russia. And I am in the states !

I need to get busy with testing. The Google forum format is holding me back. I just was informed by Chris that you could set the buttons in Litchi app to fly Cable cam like the Solo us supposed to do. What !

Afraid if I used Excel I would end up with a flight to Russia. And I am in the states !

I need to get busy with testing. The Google forum format is holding me back. I just was informed by Chris that you could set the buttons in Litchi app to fly Cable cam like the Solo us supposed to do. What !
mccabe
Do you have a Solo too?? :D

I made another attempt to navigate the Google Group and found a thread about the DJi Simulator. After a quick download and extract, I was able to plan and 'fly' the missions using the simulator.
Pretty cool...it may suffice.

Cable cam Huh?....

Not any more.
I made another attempt to navigate the Google Group and found a thread about the DJi Simulator. After a quick download and extract, I was able to plan and 'fly' the missions using the simulator.
Pretty cool...it may suffice.

Cable cam Huh?....
Share the link?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj