Latest Firmware Update for P4P - Apr 12

Yes, could also be the sd card bus speed limitation. When the files are raw, they are uncompressed and simply too big for some systems to read and process all that information.

To put it in perspective, that is 60 4k pictures per second! That is a lot to process for any system
And right there is where my knowledge and understanding are insufficient for me to agree or disagree. The sizes of the 4K files are the same, regardless of whether I record in 4K/30 or 4K/60. Either way I get 5 minutes 27 seconds of footage for each 4GB "package", but I have no problem viewing the 4K/30 files straight from the micro-SD. So, you're right, I think, maybe, but I don't grasp why.

I updated my P4p yesterday, WHAT A MISTAKE. Took the bird up to 40 feet, the controller froze and the bird fell out of the sky. Called drone-world about the insurance plan I have. NO response from them, either phone or email. This is not good customer service.

When something already works, don't update. I'm still on my original firmware and Go4 4.0.2

And right there is where my knowledge and understanding are insufficient for me to agree or disagree. The sizes of the 4K files are the same, regardless of whether I record in 4K/30 or 4K/60. Either way I get 5 minutes 27 seconds of footage for each 4GB "package", but I have no problem viewing the 4K/30 files straight from the micro-SD. So, you're right, I think, maybe, but I don't grasp why.

It's possible that 4K/60 is getting extra compressed down to the same bitrate at 4K/30 because of bandwidth or other hardware limitations. That would be terrible if true.

It's possible that 4K/60 is getting extra compressed down to the same bitrate at 4K/30 because of bandwidth or other hardware limitations. That would be terrible if true.
Let's assume that IS true. My question is, who are you blaming for things being "terrible"? DJI?, or your computer's hardware?

Let's assume that IS true. My question is, who are you blaming for things being "terrible"? DJI?, or your computer's hardware?

DJI of course, if they've made hardware that can't handle what the camera can shoot. What's the point of 4K/60 if you're compromising quality over 4K/30 because the drone can't handle the bitrate?

DJI of course, if they've made hardware that can't handle what the camera can shoot. What's the point of 4K/60 if you're compromising quality over 4K/30 because the drone can't handle the bitrate?
What you're saying doesn't make sense to me, then. You're saying that it's DJI's fault that my computer's graphics card isn't capable of handling the file.

What you're saying doesn't make sense to me, then. You're saying that it's DJI's fault that my computer's graphics card isn't capable of handling the file.

That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is...

they've made hardware that can't handle what the camera can shoot. What's the point of 4K/60 if you're compromising quality over 4K/30 because the drone can't handle the bitrate?

That's not what I'm saying at all. What I'm saying is...
Yeah, but there's no truth to that. I've already demonstrated that 4K/60 footage from the P4P can be properly displayed.

Interestingly, I've also just discovered that after rendering in my video editor, with a 2:50 video still being 1.17GB in size, the file can be properly displayed if I use QuickTime to display the MP4 file. None of my other video players will display the file properly.

Yeah, but there's no truth to that. I've already demonstrated that 4K/60 footage from the P4P can be properly displayed.

My PC have a hard time playing up the raw 4K60fps videos from the P4P.. Im running a fairly competent pc, i5 4690K overclocked to 4.5 GHz.. But i have no disillusion that the videos are stutterless on other computers since the video i take looks great on youtube(compressed video).

So before anyone blames the P4P, check your computer first.

No one is talking about displaying the footage. We're talking about bitrate and data differences between 4K/60 and 4K/30. If the bitrate is the same, then the extra frames of 4K/60 are resulting in significantly more data compression over 4K/30 and therefore producing significantly lower quality video.

No one is talking about displaying the footage. We're talking about bitrate and data differences between 4K/60 and 4K/30. If the bitrate is the same, then the extra frames of 4K/60 are resulting in significantly more data compression over 4K/30 and therefore producing significantly lower quality video.

Go with 30 fps then.. And consider the 60 fps a bonus..

Go with 30 fps then.. And consider the 60 fps a bonus..

I'd consider 60fps worthless if it results in drastically lowered image quality. One would except a system that's advertised to shoot 4K/60 to not do so by compromising quality over 4K/30.

I'd consider 60fps worthless if it results in drastically lowered image quality. One would except a system that's advertised to shoot 4K/60 to not do so by compromising quality over 4K/30.

Obviously it will be lower for anyone with a thinking brain.... But certainly it is not drastically..

As far as I'm concerned, that's moving the goalposts, ie, changing the subject. I never made any claim that the video quality of 4K/60 from the P4P is equal to or better than the video quality of 4K/30. The intent of my comments has ALWAYS been to demonstrate that claims which say that the P4P cannot properly produce 4K/60 footage are false claims. It is a PROVABLE fact that each frame contains less information in 4K/60 than it does in 4K/30.

As far as I'm concerned, that's moving the goalposts, ie, changing the subject. I never made any claim that the video quality of 4K/60 from the P4P is equal to or better than the video quality of 4K/30. The intent of my comments has ALWAYS been to demonstrate that claims which say that the P4P cannot properly produce 4K/60 footage are false claims.

The 4K/60 issues were acknowledged by DJI and corrected in a very recent firmware update. The issue I'm addressing is your claim that a 5 minute and 27 second clip is the same file size whether shot in 4K/60 or 4K/30. If true, that's absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable on DJI's part.

The 4K/60 issues were acknowledged by DJI and corrected in a very recent firmware update. The issue I'm addressing is your claim that a 5 minute and 27 second clip is the same file size whether shot in 4K/60 or 4K/30. If true, that's absolutely ridiculous and unacceptable on DJI's part.
Well, it's actually a fact rather than a claim. Please expound on why you find it ridiculous and unacceptable. To me, it's just the way it is.

It's been chatted about at length. 4K 60p involves 'pixel binning' to make up the 60p. It's not really 60p. Forget it. Use 4k 30p.

Chances are - and this is pure speculation on my part, but it's possible that because it's not really 60p your computer is trying to in fill the missing data causing it to crawl.

None of the files the p4p produce are editing software friendly.

Have you tried encoding the footage as prores? You might find that helps.

However it's a fact that there is NO real benefit to shooting 60p at 4k. The high bitrate and 60fps is not happening. It can't squash that info into that file size. 30p yes.

Reactions: AyeYo and Bigbells
It's been chatted about at length. 4K 60p involves 'pixel binning' to make up the 60p. It's not really 60p. Forget it. Use 4k 30p.

Chances are - and this is pure speculation on my part, but it's possible that because it's not really 60p your computer is trying to in fill the missing data causing it to crawl.

None of the files the p4p produce are editing software friendly.

Have you tried encoding the footage as prores? You might find that helps.

However it's a fact that there is NO real benefit to shooting 60p at 4k. The high bitrate and 60fps is not happening. It can't squash that info into that file size. 30p yes.

Agreed: that 4K/30 is sensible, while anything else is not (except for 4K/<30K, for which I have no reasonable use.) Agreed that 4K/60 is not sensible. I was simply demonstrating that 4K/60 is POSSIBLE, since it seems to me that there are a great number of Phantom photopilots trying to claim that it is NOT possible.

ProRes? No thanks. I've paid for Cyberlink PowerDirector 15 and I'm not willing to pay more for something else.

In the future, I may become willing to pay for ProRes or... what's the other expensive one from Adobe?... but at this point I'm not.

Last edited:
On Saturday (yesterday), I installed DJI Go 4 on my Google Nexus 7 II, then installed the latest DJI firmware on my P4P, and flew 3 times using DJI Go 4 as my control platform. The first flight, I had various connection problems. I could detail those problems, since I recorded the screen video of the entire flight, but after that first flight I uninstalled Litchi, and then had no connection problems on the 2nd and 3rd flights. As I've said before, I don't know how the interaction between DJI Go 4 and Litchi works, and I don't know why neither of them will work properly if both are installed on your Android device. My reason for wanting to see if removing (uninstalling) Litchi would fix the DJI Go 4 connection problems was that some of the new color profiles looked intriguing enough that I wanted to be able to use them if at all possible.

I could be wrong, but I think most of the new color profiles are actually new, rather than being the old profiles with new names. I'm thinking that videographers more knowledgeable than myself might be able to figure out for sure which of the profiles, if any, are different from previous DJI color profiles.

On my first flight, I recorded video using every one of the 13 color profiles. The names are: None, True Color, D-Cinelike, D-Log, Film, B&W, Cool, Twilight, Pale, Old Photo, Warm, Blue, Blockbuster. The D-Log profile, incidentally, is still locked at 500 ISO.

After reviewing the video from my first flight, the profile named Film looked particularly interesting to me, so that's what I used for the second flight.

Video from the second flight, "Film" color setting, no color grading in post. Style settings -1, 0, 0. 4K/30, shutter 1/60, ND16 filter, white balance 5200K (Sunny), aperture 4.0, ISO 100, H.264, MP4 file format:
This guy spends a lot of time testing the new color profiles..

This guy spends a lot of time testing the new color profiles..
Thanks very much. I'm subscribed to Frederick's channel but hadn't yet seen that video. He's a member of this forum, incidentally.

When using an Android device, "Normal" still has the old and poorly chosen name "None", and there is no "Art" profile. Other than those exceptions, the profiles are the same as what is shown on that video.

Reactions: TightLines

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor