Latest Firmware Update for P4P - Apr 12

Agreed: that 4K/30 is sensible, while anything else is not (except for 4K/<30K, for which I have no reasonable use.) Agreed that 4K/60 is not sensible. I was simply demonstrating that 4K/60 is POSSIBLE, since it seems to me that there are a great number of Phantom photopilots trying to claim that it is NOT possible.

ProRes? No thanks. I've paid for Cyberlink PowerDirector 15 and I'm not willing to pay more for something else.

In the future, I may become willing to pay for ProRes or... what's the other expensive one from Adobe?... but at this point I'm not.

Prores is a codec. Not a piece of software. It's pretty much become the industry standard.

With the greatest of respect and not wanting to sound like a tool, if you're using Cyberlink to edit then I'd say this is aimed very squarely at the entry level market. I don't understand why you think you'd have to pay for prores. It's like saying you pay more for an MP4 or a mov.

I think you're confusing edit software with codecs- so with this in mind it shows to a degree your inexperience here and possibly also indicate the statements you've made are due to lack of knowledge and inexperience rather than hardware. That's not an insult, but the last package I'd invest in to edit footage from this state of the art kit would be Cyberlink.

Perhaps- just as a test you could download a trial of something else and see how you go? The app you're thinking of is Adobe Premiere and will be included in their 'cc' suite. Or on a Mac you could try Final Cut Pro. If you have a Mac iMovie would more than likely yield better and more user friendly results than Cyberlink.

Also, media100 which is a very high end package is now free. Was the industry standard for lots of production companies at one time and it's now free.

Editing is a skill in Itself. I've seen some lovely shots in these forums but the editing is shocking. If you are serious about drone videos and stills, learning how to edit properly is critical. If you're going to put the time in, you should consider edit software as part of the investment of your kit. Both in time and financially.

Prores is a codec. Not a piece of software. It's pretty much become the industry standard.

With the greatest of respect and not wanting to sound like a tool, if you're using Cyberlink to edit then I'd say this is aimed very squarely at the entry level market. I don't understand why you think you'd have to pay for prores. It's like saying you pay more for an MP4 or a mov.

I think you're confusing edit software with codecs- so with this in mind it shows to a degree your inexperience here and possibly also indicate the statements you've made are due to lack of knowledge and inexperience rather than hardware. That's not an insult, but the last package I'd invest in to edit footage from this state of the art kit would be Cyberlink.

Perhaps- just as a test you could download a trial of something else and see how you go? The app you're thinking of is Adobe Premiere and will be included in their 'cc' suite. Or on a Mac you could try Final Cut Pro. If you have a Mac iMovie would more than likely yield better and more user friendly results than Cyberlink.

Also, media100 which is a very high end package is now free. Was the industry standard for lots of production companies at one time and it's now free.

Editing is a skill in Itself. I've seen some lovely shots in these forums but the editing is shocking. If you are serious about drone videos and stills, learning how to edit properly is critical. If you're going to put the time in, you should consider edit software as part of the investment of your kit. Both in time and financially.[/QUOTE

Are you sure your not affiliated with the companies you mentioned? Seems a bit suspicious to me

What?

Now you're trolling other posts to comment about this product you have mentioned in several other threads? I just answered about editing software and you've trolled me? Very bizarre behaviour.

Editing is a skill in Itself. I've seen some lovely shots in these forums but the editing is shocking. If you are serious about drone videos and stills, learning how to edit properly is critical. If you're going to put the time in, you should consider edit software as part of the investment of your kit. Both in time and financially.
Yep, I was confusing Prores with Final Cut Pro. I appreciate your comments and I'm not particularly insulted. Yes, I have gaping holes in my knowledge and I'm basically a newbie when it comes to photography but I would be interested in knowing what I've said that you found to be factually incorrect. I've been making a big deal of saying that when video recorded at 60 fps does not display properly and seems to have frames out of order, this is caused by the viewing setup being unable to handle the file, not due to the file being fatally flawed. My evidence is that when such a video is uploaded to YouTube, the stuttering is gone. If that's faulty or incorrect logic, my sincere apologies. I do think it's interesting that uploading the video to YouTube somehow corrects the issues.

I'm like a number of Phantom pilots in that I got into it for the fun of flying, with the photo and video capabilities being a nice bonus. Over the course of time, I became more and more interested in the photography side of the coin. I know there are a good number of people like you who brought extensive photographic knowledge with you when you started flying airborne cameras. You all are fantastic sources of information for those of us who try your patience with our ignorance.

Seeing some of the awesome still photos that skilled photographers take with their Phantoms wows me frequently, but for now, I'm concentrating on video.

So yeah, I'm way, way back on the path, but I love the journey. Each little bit of new knowledge feels like the discovery of a new universe. I'd never even been inspired to learn how to use my earthbound four thirds camera in anything but automatic mode, but shooting video with my Phantoms led me to want to develop some understanding of Greek terms like frame rate and aperture. Although I've been recording videos with Phantoms for 4 years, I used nothing except Windows Movie Maker for editing until about a year ago. Heck, even learning to use that program is something I'm proud of.

I think Cyberlink PowerDirector might be more capable than you think it is, but I don't know. I'm far from being adept at using it, and there are many, many features that I haven't begun to explore. In order to feel the need for a more professional-level video editor, I'd have to want to do something that I can't do with PowerDirector, and I don't yet know what that might be. I also have the free version of DaVinci Resolve, which is different enough in format from other video editors that I've struggled with simple things the few times I've used it. However, it may turn out that it's a step up, and that I'll start to see things it can do that I don't yet see.

It's been chatted about at length. 4K 60p involves 'pixel binning' to make up the 60p. It's not really 60p. Forget it. Use 4k 30p.

Chances are - and this is pure speculation on my part, but it's possible that because it's not really 60p your computer is trying to in fill the missing data causing it to crawl.

None of the files the p4p produce are editing software friendly.

Have you tried encoding the footage as prores? You might find that helps.

However it's a fact that there is NO real benefit to shooting 60p at 4k. The high bitrate and 60fps is not happening. It can't squash that info into that file size. 30p yes.

Good to know that's been confirmed. Nice to see DJI still being DJI advertising features that don't actually work.

This guy spends a lot of time testing the new color profiles..

He does run through them but doesn't really offer anything other than 'this is what they look like' but we can all do that.

I think there's the danger that lots of people on here are very interested in getting the max out of the images and video they can - quite rightly so.. but IMO they need to think about the editing and the narratives of the videos they take. This is much more important than trying to learn how to grade footage.

From my reading up and testing, and my background in editing and basic understanding of grading - I'd leave the LOG files alone. On the P4P it is like trying to push a round peg into a square hole. There isn't really the data there to play with for a proper LOG shoot and therefore the grading will be below par - even for a very experienced colourist they would have a deal on their hands with the P4P footage. Of course you have to capture it properly to start with or you won't have the files in a good enough shape to grade.

My take on it is - choose a profile you like or one that is suitable for the job, shoot with it, edit it and enjoy. What you will gain from LOG footage is minimal and you're probably better off investing time into learning about editing and music etc.

Just my thoughts!

Reactions: AyeYo and AIRSPACE
Yep, I was confusing Prores with Final Cut Pro. I appreciate your comments and I'm not particularly insulted. Yes, I have gaping holes in my knowledge and I'm basically a newbie when it comes to photography but I would be interested in knowing what I've said that you found to be factually incorrect. I've been making a big deal of saying that when video recorded at 60 fps does not display properly and seems to have frames out of order, this is caused by the viewing setup being unable to handle the file, not due to the file being fatally flawed. My evidence is that when such a video is uploaded to YouTube, the stuttering is gone. If that's faulty or incorrect logic, my sincere apologies. I do think it's interesting that uploading the video to YouTube somehow corrects the issues.

I'm like a number of Phantom pilots in that I got into it for the fun of flying, with the photo and video capabilities being a nice bonus. Over the course of time, I became more and more interested in the photography side of the coin. I know there are a good number of people like you who brought extensive photographic knowledge with you when you started flying airborne cameras. You all are fantastic sources of information for those of us who try your patience with our ignorance.

Seeing some of the awesome still photos that skilled photographers take with their Phantoms wows me frequently, but for now, I'm concentrating on video.

So yeah, I'm way, way back on the path, but I love the journey. Each little bit of new knowledge feels like the discovery of a new universe. I'd never even been inspired to learn how to use my earthbound four thirds camera in anything but automatic mode, but shooting video with my Phantoms led me to want to develop some understanding of Greek terms like frame rate and aperture. Although I've been recording videos with Phantoms for 4 years, I used nothing except Windows Movie Maker for editing until about a year ago. Heck, even learning to use that program is something I'm proud of.

I think Cyberlink PowerDirector might be more capable than you think it is, but I don't know. I'm far from being adept at using it, and there are many, many features that I haven't begun to explore. In order to feel the need for a more professional-level video editor, I'd have to want to do something that I can't do with PowerDirector, and I don't yet know what that might be. I also have the free version of DaVinci Resolve, which is different enough in format from other video editors that I've struggled with simple things the few times I've used it. However, it may turn out that it's a step up, and that I'll start to see things it can do that I don't yet see.

Appreciate your comments - thanks for not taking it personally.
Resolve is a very complex programme but it's mainly aimed at colourists and grading. I just posted my thoughts on the grading that people seem to be getting way to upset about.

I think you need to look at some software that will have longevity and that you can grow with. You seem to be interested in taking your hobby and learning new things but I'd just question whether the skills you'll pick up from the Cyberlink stuff will not see you through as long a period as you would like. They just don't have the 'clout' of the big hitters- and there WILL come a time where you'll outgrow it and want to look at something else.

For now though, I think you need to stop worrying about what doesn't work and why. Like everyone else I tried all this when I got my p4p which was my first quad. I am no means an expert pilot. I'm 'ok' at best but I do come at it with the advantage of a photo and video background and sort of understand the physics and the practicalities of the P4P's imaging system.

There's a lot of information scattered over the forums here but the best advice I took was the following...
shoot 4k at 30fps (or 25 if you are in Europe) make your shutter speed 1/50 or 1/60 (double the frame rate) and LEAVE it at that. Shoot as low an ISO as possible (ideally 100) and then don't wander much past a stop either side of f5.6. You may need to invest in some ND filters to keep the quad at those settings.
If you want to get a little headroom on the colours then use DCinelike with the settings 1-/-3/-2 in the sharpness contrast etc and go and enjoy yourself.

shoot 4k at 30fps (or 25 if you are in Europe) make your shutter speed 1/50 or 1/60 (double the frame rate) and LEAVE it at that. Shoot as low an ISO as possible (ideally 100) and then don't wander much past a stop either side of f5.6. You may need to invest in some ND filters to keep the quad at those settings.
If you want to get a little headroom on the colours then use DCinelike with the settings 1-/-3/-2 in the sharpness contrast etc and go and enjoy yourself.
Those are basically the parameters that I learned from watching Frederick Hagan's videos, and to which I adhere most of the time. One more is never to use automatic white balance. All of this, though, is new to me in the last 4 months, ever since I got my P4P, so it's still jelling. Before that, fully automatic camera settings was all I ever used. It was quite a challenge to begin using all manual settings, but fortunately there have been enough positive results that I'm not tempted to go back.

Doing color grading is even newer to me than using manual camera settings. I'd be the first person to say that I'm just stumbling around and guessing with the multitude of grading controls and options, but since it's enjoyable, I'll get better. I haven't yet found any kind of decent tutorial on color grading with PowerDirector, but I haven't looked very hard. Currently, I'm usually better off using one of the preset color profiles in PowerDirector, or doing no grading at all. :)

Those are basically the parameters that I learned from watching Frederick Hagan's videos, and to which I adhere most of the time. One more is never to use automatic white balance. All of this, though, is new to me in the last 4 months, ever since I got my P4P, so it's still jelling. Before that, fully automatic camera settings was all I ever used. It was quite a challenge to begin using all manual settings, but fortunately there have been enough positive results that I'm not tempted to go back.

Doing color grading is even newer to me than using manual camera settings. I'd be the first person to say that I'm just stumbling around and guessing with the multitude of grading controls and options, but since it's enjoyable, I'll get better. I haven't yet found any kind of decent tutorial on color grading with PowerDirector, but I haven't looked very hard. Currently, I'm usually better off using one of the preset color profiles in PowerDirector, or doing no grading at all. :)
Don't get too torn up on grading. It's ALWAYS best to nail the shot in camera before you go into edit. You're better off sticking to the 'rules' of the p4p and trying to get the correct exposures etc and use one of the profiles. At least this way you can see what you're getting pretty much and not having to shoot to accommodate a LOG file and a not very good/robust log file at best.

Grading isn't the same as shooting in RAW for photos. There's not really that much information on the video files to play with. The still images are way better for manipulation because they are RAW and 'pure' data.

Reactions: Bigbells
I just upgraded. Interestingly I had to reset the parameters as before but the camera settings were retained this time.

As always when recording in 4K/60, I am unable to view the video directly from the micro-SD without it being herky-jerky, still unable to view the video without it being herky-jerky after rendering, but able to view it just fine once it is uploaded to YouTube. This is due to shortcomings of my computer, not due to any deficiencies on the part of DJI.
If you are using a PC, try the VLC media player. It works much better for computers that are lower end.

Updated mine today, 2 flights for 20 mins each and no issues, did have to update 4 batteries. Only thing I noticed is after update if you go into the about section on DJI GO 4 it still says update available and if you select it you get a blue button but goes no further - anyone else seen this? All seems to work ok but did reset most of my settings.

If I remember correctly, I had this same problem. I rebooted my Android phone (hope that's what you have) and the problem went away.

If you are using a PC, try the VLC media player. It works much better for computers that are lower end.
Agreed that VLC is often a little more capable than other players on a PC. On my computer it can handle 4K/48 files from my P4P, whereas other players cannot. None of them can handle 4K/60 straight from the micro-SD of the P4P on my computer.

But, I'm cured... no more 4K/60 or 4K/48 attempts. Of course, I might experiment a little more with 1080p/60. Why? Because it's there, and I might have nothing better to do. :cool:

So what's the verdict on this new firmware? To update or not to update?

I'm on the previous firmware and I'm not experiencing any issues with it (knocks on wood).

So what's the verdict on this new firmware? To update or not to update?

I'm on the previous firmware and I'm not experiencing any issues with it (knocks on wood).

Do it, the only thing i found annoying is that my settings is ignored.. I couldn't change to sportmode last flight since you had to dig into the meny and enable it..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor