P4P RC firmware update issues

Reaction score
My RC has the following firmware installed: 01.04.01
However, I believe there's a newer version - 01.04.03. I can't remember how previous updates came through, but I presume the Go 4 app would have downloaded and installed them.
I've tried downloading the latest firmware from DJI to manually install, but it comes through as a BIN file - which won't unpack on my PC.

I have two questions:
1. Should my RC have updated automatically to 1.04.03 via the Go 4 app?
2. Does anyone have any advice for unpacking DJI's BIN files?

Thanks!

1. Your controller will not update on its own.
2. I’ve not seen what you describe, so can’t help there.
Thanks for responding.

By 'automatic', I mean in the same way that drone firmware is updated: That is, detected by, and managed through, the Go 4 app; the update itself being initiated by the user. Apparently, this should be possible. There are a number of videos online, including from DJI, showing people updating the RC firmware using Go 4. However, while the app shows me the firmware version of the RC (01.04.01), there is no 'Check for update' button alongside it, as there is for the drone firmware and the Flysafe databases.
Apparently, one can also update the RC firmware using 'DJI Assistant 2 for Phantom'. However, when I plug in the RC I get the message, "Device not supported. Please download the correct DJI Assistant in the official website product range". From what I can see, there is no other suitable software.
The third option involves downloading the firmware from DJI as a BIN file, unpacking the file, sticking it on a SD card, and inserting that into the RC. But as stated above, I don't seem to be able to 'unpack' the file.

I'm feeling rather foolish, as I've been flying P4s for five years and must have successfully updated the RC firmware before. What am I missing? Would anyone care to tell me how they update their controller firmware?

Last edited:
I don't normally update things that work as is..so why? Are you getting a mismatch warning? Does it link and fly ok now, before update?
No warnings and everything works. I just happened to discover that there was a newer version of the firmware, and am now somewhat perplexed at my inability to install it.

No warnings and everything works. I just happened to discover that there was a newer version of the firmware, and am now somewhat perplexed at my inability to install it.
Please stop trying. Firmware updates can cause more problems then worth, some actually unrecoverable. The one you want may no longer even be available. Enjoy what you have now..in peace

I'm going to strongly concur with BigL and Capt KO. Short of crashing your drone, updating firmware just because newer firmware exists is literally the worst thing you can do to a DJI drone. As they've been saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." You don't want to be one of those who, "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."

D

Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl