Just confirmed I have ESC 2.1, here's my Serial Number

aartsf said:
This is the only picture on the entire forum (posted xx times) showing that. This is guestionable picture though. A picture without a story, showing seemenly non-factory soldering and a suspected soldering-drop nearby the sticker. MacCool can you enlighten us on the whereabouts of this picture you posted at numerous places on this forum without any background information?!

Nah, I found it on DJI. Someone posted it as an example of burned FETs. I happened to notice the same blue mark that I have on my incompatible ESCs. Obviously the guy detached the motors, likely the reason for the globbed solder.

It's a picture of burned FETs with a blue-marked capacitor. The picture speaks for itself. I understand that people desperately want to believe that their factory-defective Phantom is ok, but let's be real. The blue capacitor theory is ********. A rumor reporting a rumor. A guy posting on the internet about something that some "DJI tech" told a hobby shop employee. Even if that unlikely story was true, it's not like we all aren't aware of the widely varying information and ignorance that we get when we call DJI, right? In the meantime, we have a document, directly from DJI, that clearly states the markings and level of compatibility between various ESCs. You would rather believe that an actual photograph of burned ESCs with a blue-marked capacitor is somehow contrived, when you already have all the information you need printed on a nice, full-color brochure right from DJI. What is it that you're so desperately trying to convince yourself of? You're trying to parse out every little nuance from reported internet rumors. I can't imagine a more fruitless effort.

Here's what you need to know:

motorSheet.jpg

It's right from DJI, even before they came out with the new (current) IC driver firmware 4.06 and there was no ESC v2.1. And you want to somehow believe that a guy telling a guy telling another guy about a "blue mark" on a PC board component and then posting it on the internet somehow supervenes their previous formal corporate announcement about this very issue? Seriously?

Thanks for your reply, still a question though. Is the dji-document you refer to also ment for stock v3 birds or only for motor-upgrading kids??

aartsf said:
Thanks for your reply, still a questiob though. Is the dji-document you refer to also ment for stock v3 birds or only for motor-upgrading kids??
It came with the motor upgrade kits.

MacCool said:
aartsf said:
This is the only picture on the entire forum (posted xx times) showing that. This is guestionable picture though. A picture without a story, showing seemenly non-factory soldering and a suspected soldering-drop nearby the sticker. MacCool can you enlighten us on the whereabouts of this picture you posted at numerous places on this forum without any background information?!

Nah, I found it on DJI. Someone posted it as an example of burned FETs. I happened to notice the same blue mark that I have on my incompatible ESCs. Obviously the guy detached the motors, likely the reason for the globbed solder.

It's a picture of burned FETs with a blue-marked capacitor. The picture speaks for itself. I understand that people desperately want to believe that their factory-defective Phantom is ok, but let's be real. The blue capacitor theory is ********. A rumor reporting a rumor. A guy posting on the internet about something that some "DJI tech" told a hobby shop employee. Even if that unlikely story was true, it's not like we all aren't aware of the widely varying information and ignorance that we get when we call DJI, right? In the meantime, we have a document, directly from DJI, that clearly states the markings and level of compatibility between various ESCs. You would rather believe that an actual photograph of burned ESCs with a blue-marked capacitor is somehow contrived, when you already have all the information you need printed on a nice, full-color brochure right from DJI. What is it that you're so desperately trying to convince yourself of? You're trying to parse out every little nuance from reported internet rumors. I can't imagine a more fruitless effort.

Here's what you need to know:

motorSheet.jpg

It's right from DJI, even before they came out with the new (current) IC driver firmware 4.06 and there was no ESC v2.1. And you want to somehow believe that a guy telling a guy telling another guy about a "blue mark" on a PC board component and then posting it on the internet somehow supervenes their previous formal corporate announcement about this very issue? Seriously?

This is the most logically written and correct posting on this very sad, long drawn out affair. We'll done sir. Luckily my email to DJI got a response telling me to return it to the dealer. I'm waiting for their preprinted UPS label and off she goes and we will try again with the REAL V3,with, hopefully the '2.1" printed on the ESC. I have instructed by dealer that he may open the new bird to confirm. My original did not have any indication of version and I like most here grasping at straws to explain 'why' no label. Its simple. ITS THE OLD VERSION, GOOD POST!!

hey_moe said:
After reading all 12 pages of this thread, it almost makes ya to scared to even start one up...lol :D
I'm going to keep flying mine.

There can be many reasons for assembly marks on PC boards. Capacitor is the most likely spot because of its size. Capacitors usually aren't machine-attached, they're hand soldered. Usually, in most electronic assembly lines, the mark is there to acknowledge that the capacitor was visually inspected for polarity...something that the QC guy would want to know before he energizes the board to test it.

If you were going to label something as important as firmware version on an FET-driven PC board, would you put a mark on a capacitor, or would you put an actual sticker on the PC board (which is what DJI does). OR....if you were going to put a mark on the PC board to designate firmware version, why would you put it on the capacitor rather than on the white label sheet that's already there?

They could at least tell us how to identify which ESC we have. Mine has no V2.0 on the barcode sticker (like in the above DJI attachment) which makes me think they are wrong!

JJDu4 said:
They could at least tell us how to identify which ESC we have. Mine has no V2.0 on the barcode sticker (like in the above DJI attachment) which makes me think they are wrong!
They did tell us. If yours doesn't say v2.0 or v2.1 on the sticker that's on the ESC, then your ESC has the older IC driver firmware version and is not compatible with the 2312 motors. If your Phantom is older and uses the 2212 motors, then you are good to go. The ESC version would also be on the box label. It would also say "ESC v2.0" or "ESC v2.1" on the box label. If the box label just says "ESC", then you have to "no version label" ESC and DJI says that your ESC is not compatible with the 2312 motors.

P2V+ V 3.0
Purchased Nov 14 2014 direct from DJI.
ESC no version indicated
Wifi not vented
SN PH645395XXX
No 4 beeps at startup(I believe the Vision + never have the beeps?)

Haven't had an issue yet, over 15 flights so far. All flights have been in cold (below freezing) weather. I have separated the wires on each ESC.

MacCool said:
JJDu4 said:
They did tell us. If yours doesn't say v2.0 or v2.1 on the sticker that's on the ESC, then your ESC has the older IC driver firmware version and is not compatible with the 2312 motors. If your Phantom is older and uses the 2212 motors, then you are good to go. The ESC version would also be on the box label. It would also say "ESC v2.0" or "ESC v2.1" on the box label. If the box label just says "ESC", then you have to "no version label" ESC and DJI says that your ESC is not compatible with the 2312 motors.

My box label has nothing related to ESC. Only Phantom, Camera, and Range Ext serial #'s.

HaM-73 said:
So is there any meaning to the beeps, or is that just more speculation?
For example, does this video even tell us anything about the motors and whether the ESC's are compatible or not ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jph18PU ... e=youtu.be

If the presence or absence of the 4 additional beeps had significance for this issue, it seems like something that DJI should have included in the motor upgrade brochure.

The IC driver firmware for each of the four ESC's is not user accessible. I'm trying to understand how the main board would be able to know and report the ESC firmware version. Seems more likely to me that the 4-beep thing is related to mainboard firmware, not ESC firmware.

HaM-73 said:
MacCool said:
JJDu4 said:

My box label has nothing related to ESC. Only Phantom, Camera, and Range Ext serial #'s.
+1
Anyone an answer?

HaM-73 said:
MacCool said:
JJDu4 said:

Heh. That's probably not good.

MacCool said:
HaM-73 said:
MacCool said:
JJDu4 said:

Heh. That's probably not good.
For clearity, do you have a picture with the boxlabeling showing the esc info?

Purchased mine 11/28/14 directly from Amazon (not a third party). S/N PH645440, V3.0. I have a vented WIFI module, no ESC version marking on the ESC label and do not get 4 beeps at start-up.

HaM-73 said:

Are you guys referring to the box for the motor upgrade, or the box for the phantom?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl